FTA-TV Doctor Who

I had only read about Bishop today. Looks familiar

I would have preferred leaving it as Yaz only - I feel she can hold her own

Yeah I couldn't figure out why he looked so familiar. I'd just watched Skins through the second half of last year and he played the father of the twin girls in that. That's the most likely place you'd know him otherwise he's a comedian who appears on a few of those shows over there. He's a really funny guy and being a bit older I think gives a good dynamic.

They released a little clip introducing his character which is quite funny so off to a good start.

Yeah I thought North was fantastic in that episode moreso than his original appearance.

While it's still a bit of a trope, he plays the sell 'out at all costs' corporate villain really well. One of the best parts of that episode.

While it's still a bit of a trope, he plays the sell 'out at all costs' corporate villain really well. One of the best parts of that episode.
Oh it's very much clichéd and aware of itself, but still very fun.

Even the "I did what any man, uh person, human person" seemed to be poking a bit of fun at the show.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Do you know what a Mary Sue is or do you just spit out buzz words?

Yeah I do, and I think it perfectly applies to Yaz. She is just so bland and boring, worst companion since Rose ******* Tyler.

She has the personality of a pot plant.. I am in a minority of fans Who think Chibnall has done most things right on the Show (don't even mind The Timeless Child revelation ) but I do not see what value Yaz adds to the show, but things change for the better now Ryan and Graham have left.

Wish they would bring back The Draconians for an episode or two. Having revisited Frontier in Space several times since I bought the Season 10 Blu Ray Collection, I think it's criminal they have not being brought back on screen since then.

Yeah I do, and I think it perfectly applies to Yaz. She is just so bland and boring, worst companion since Rose ******* Tyler.

She has the personality of a pot plant.. I am in a minority of fans Who think Chibnall has done most things right on the Show (don't even mind The Timeless Child revelation ) but I do not see what value Yaz adds to the show, but things change for the better now Ryan and Graham have left.

Wish they would bring back The Draconians for an episode or two. Having revisited Frontier in Space several times since I bought the Season 10 Blu Ray Collection, I think it's criminal they have not being brought back on screen since then.

Right.. but none of that stuff makes her a Mary Sue.

Did a review of this today, included some more general thoughts on Who and its direction under Chibnall:

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't, Yaz is such a bland, annoying, tiresome Mary Sue trope.
Of the three companions Yaz could have been ditched the most easily. Walsh was the most interesting, as not yet another young guy/girl hero worshipping the Doctor. Cole got better as they gave him some episodes with his Dad to give some depth, but three companions always seemed to leave at least one as the third wheel in most episodes.

Daily Mirror has reported Jodie is stepping s the Doctor at the end of the next series, but I think it's more rubbish from that tabloid rag.
They're usually pretty accurate.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Of the three companions Yaz could have been ditched the most easily. Walsh was the most interesting, as not yet another young guy/girl hero worshipping the Doctor. Cole got better as they gave him some episodes with his Dad to give some depth, but three companions always seemed to leave at least one as the third wheel in most episodes.
I remember the producers making similar comments in the special features on the DVDs from the classic era, when the first season of Peter Davidson's era had Adric, Tegan & Nyssa as companions.

I remember the producers making similar comments in the special features on the DVDs from the classic era, when the first season of Peter Davidson's era had Adric, Tegan & Nyssa as companions.

Funnily enough just finished re-watching that season and didn't mind it as much as I used to. Maybe because of the specific comparison to the current Nu-Who season, the Classic season was done so much better.

I think it helps that Teagan, Adric and Nyssa weren't all introduced in the same story so were fully formed characters in their own right as they came on board. But the notion of one of them inevitably being underused in each story holds true.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Funnily enough just finished re-watching that season and didn't mind it as much as I used to. Maybe because of the specific comparison to the current Nu-Who season, the Classic season was done so much better.

I think it helps that Teagan, Adric and Nyssa weren't all introduced in the same story so were fully formed characters in their own right as they came on board. But the notion of one of them inevitably being underused in each story holds true.

People cite Adric as the weak link of that trio, but I honestly think it was Nyssa. She is just so bland and vanilla, and its mostly the writers fault, her father and step mother murdered, and Traken destroyed byThe Master, and yet, she on screen, she hardly seems to have been traumatized by these events (although thankfully Big Finish Audios have expanded on this)

For me the only time a three companion team really worked was with Billy's Doctor and Ian,Barbara and Vicki. They had the time and slower pace of narrative to story telling to flesh out the characters back then (The Romans is an absolute delight)

Even two companions is probably too much in the current format of Nu-Who (although I think it worked brilliantly with The 12th Doctor, Bill and Nardole)

Anyhow it seems like The DM was right and Jodie is leaving.

Can't help but feel some toxic fans never really gave her the chance to succeed as the Doctor because of her gender (she is a perfectly decent actor)

People cite Adric as the weak link of that trio, but I honestly think it was Nyssa. She is just so bland and vanilla, and its mostly the writers fault, her father and step mother murdered, and Traken destroyed byThe Master, and yet, she on screen, she hardly seems to have been traumatized by these events (although thankfully Big Finish Audios have expanded on this)

For me the only time a three companion team really worked was with Billy's Doctor and Ian,Barbara and Vicki. They had the time and slower pace of narrative to story telling to flesh out the characters back then (The Romans is an absolute delight)

Even two companions is probably too much in the current format of Nu-Who (although I think it worked brilliantly with The 12th Doctor, Bill and Nardole)

Anyhow it seems like The DM was right and Jodie is leaving.

Can't help but feel some toxic fans never really gave her the chance to succeed as the Doctor because of her gender (she is a perfectly decent actor)

Heh, I agree with you, said almost exactly the same to my wife as we were watching. Adric has a very distinct personality which many didn't like, but at least it was a personality. Teagan as well is quite brash and distinct. Nyssa though, once they moved past the plot around the Master taking her father's likeness was really quite bland.

We actually just started watching Arc of Infinity and I'd somehow forgotten that Teagan comes back so was a genuine shock but actually a really enjoyable one when she popped up. If I'm not mistaken this might have been the first time ever that a companion leaves the TARDIS then re-joins?

I think the Second Doctor with Ben, Polly and Jamie works ok but there aren't many stories left from that era. You could argue the Third Doctor with Jo, the Brig and Sergeant Benson was also a trio but they weren't really companions.

The Romans is a personal favourite of mine too.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Three companions hasn't really worked. Even Susan wasn't really used that much and Vicki very quickly became a Susan replacement rather than the challenge to the Doctor's knowledge she could have been (understandable with 60s writing and deadlines). Jamie, Ben, Polly didn't last long together but Ben didn't have a reason for being once Jamie started getting written into stories more. Adric, Nyssa, Tegan as discussed.

I actually think Yaz could have been used a lot better, and not having as many companions night help flesh that out. Her police background is one that should mean she's the one asking the right questions, spotting things the Doctor overlooks, etc. She got shunted to the side a lot for a while with the Graham - Ryan relationship fixing.

But I don't see anything working until Chibnall leaves and someone can write a decent way to reverse the worst of his mess.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
At least Bishop cant be the new Doctor

Is Idris Elba back in the running?

Probably too big of a name to be considered now..

Eccleston was probably the only 'household' name to be cast as The Doctor since Peter Davison (Tom Baker was constriction site worker and part-time actor when Barry Letts cast him.

Probably too big of a name to be considered now..

Eccleston was probably the only 'household' name to be cast as The Doctor since Peter Davison (Tom Baker was constriction site worker and part-time actor when Barry Letts cast him.

Capaldi and Whittaker have been reasonably known prior to casting.

I somehow missed that The Faceless Ones and Fury From the Deep had been released late last year, will have to grab them and catch up. They're doing well with filling in the gaps.

Picked them both up today, love that on The Faceless Ones you can either watch it as an entirely animated adventure or with the two existing episodes that have been recovered. Love being able to watch a classic adventure for the first time.

Back