List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there in 65. as well as 66. 66 made up for it. But it is ridiculous that we have not won a second one since, out of five attempts.

Lucky bugger, you’ve seen one. I started following the Saints in 1967 after moving to Melbourne,

I have never gotten over 1965, let alone the rest. I cried when we lost as I listened on the radio. And then later I saw vision of Big Carl crying and it set me off again. I was 9.
It must be so difficult for all of the players to contend with. Big Carl unfortunately missed 1966 as we know, and played in both the losing GF's, 1965 and 1971.
Here's a bit of trivia... In the early 1970s I was a young lad who wore number 10 proudly on the back of my knitted St Kilda jumper. Big Carl was then a teacher at the local Tech school at Box Hill. What a towering figure he seemed in those days!
What a player, what a journey it's been following Big Carl and the like!
Many happy memories as well.

That 71 GF really is a 'Sliding Doors' moment in AFL history...

Getting back on topic though - As much as I'd love Josh Kelly I dont think we can get him. The GWS $$$ are just too crazy. I'd like us to put our effort into Zac Merrett. He'd be a great 3rd after Steele & Crouch, would tag well with Jones as that inside/outside option, loves a tackle and finds the ball.

We need a ruckman as well.

If the Dees are still s**t I would be all in on giving Max Gawn a crazy deal to come in and replace Ryder. I dont think he would take it but it would be worth a shot.

Getting back on topic though - As much as I'd love Josh Kelly I dont think we can get him. The GWS $$$ are just too crazy. I'd like us to put our effort into Zac Merrett. He'd be a great 3rd after Steele & Crouch, would tag well with Jones as that inside/outside option, loves a tackle and finds the ball.

If the Dees are still sh*t I would be all in on giving Max Gawn a crazy deal to come in and replace Ryder. I dont think he would take it but it would be worth a shot.
Not sure that's a priority, Marshall is developing beautifully and rucks are scarce enough that we cannot win a bidding war. Conservatively there are 10 clubs (more arrogantly 14, 15 if NicNat gives the game away at the end of the year) in more need of a quality ruck and it only takes one of them to have deeper pockets.

Not sure that's a priority, Marshall is developing beautifully and rucks are scarce enough that we cannot win a bidding war. Conservatively there are 10 clubs (more arrogantly 14, 15 if NicNat gives the game away at the end of the year) in more need of a quality ruck and it only takes one of them to have deeper pockets.
The only reasons we wont be looking for another genuine ruckman is if Sam Alibakis makes a quatum leap this season and takes over from Ryder at centre bounces.

Last year demonstrated that we are much better off with a genuine tap ruckman with Marshall playing the forward/ruck role, than Marshall playing primarily as a ruck and making do with the likes of Battle, Marsh etc as the forward/ruck role.

The other option would be if Matthew Allison grows another 3 cm, puts on 10kg's and turns out to be a gun CHF/ruck - then we could play Marshall purely as a ruckman.

If the Dees are still sh*t I would be all in on giving Max Gawn a crazy deal to come in and replace Ryder. I dont think he would take it but it would be worth a shot.
Whatever the $$$ is, we'll have plenty of it. Have a look at our OOC's this year and even conservative estimates are enough to land us a whale.

I have never gotten over 1965, let alone the rest. I cried when we lost as I listened on the radio. And then later I saw vision of Big Carl crying and it set me off again. I was 9.

Wow Verdun. I shed those same tears listening to the same broadcast as a 7 year old in '65. I like to think that, like me, you were back listening in '66 or better still, at the game. i recall jockettes had been released around that time as an alternative to y fronts. My parents must have decided it was time for me to channel something so I was bestowed with the leopard skin variety. It was cool enough to wear pants and a shirt that day but what would be the point in that. Deep into the match I wondered if those undies would help me contain the tears of defeat that had flowed the previous year. And then it happened...Barry Breen...a point. I raced out my front door to the end of my street in Noble Park, a screaming tiny tarzan, skinny arms punching through the air. When I got there deep breaths and a feeling of unbridled joy. I still reference that moment as a benchmark for any moments of pure elation I've experienced subsequently in my life...the birth of my son and few others. After taking those breaths I experienced for the first time something of the nature of ephemerality. Neighbours were out of their houses pointing and laughing at the crazy semi naked kid and I recall slinking back home. Serves as a rather sad metaphor for the Saints since then.
Having said that it's been a long time since I've felt so positive about the Saints. They play a much more attractive brand of footy than under Ross and I see big things ahead. Friends and family have wondered whether I might consider donning a pair of leopard skins when it happens again, bolting to the corner of a different street in a different state. It's a thought but I suspect the police might be invoved next time around.
This is my first post but have been lurking here for many years. Seems timely to thank all of the contributors who've helped me process the pain of defeat and the pleasure of victory. All the best to you all.

Last edited:
It must be so difficult for all of the players to contend with. Big Carl unfortunately missed 1966 as we know, and played in both the losing GF's, 1965 and 1971.
Here's a bit of trivia... In the early 1970s I was a young lad who wore number 10 proudly on the back of my knitted St Kilda jumper. Big Carl was then a teacher at the local Tech school at Box Hill. What a towering figure he seemed in those days!
What a player, what a journey it's been following Big Carl and the like!
Many happy memories as well.
Hey Leigh. Thanks for the tidbit about Carl. He was my favourite as well and still recall the feel of that jumper with the big number 10. Hated when they called him the Hun. It's the trade thread but if I can be indulged one last time. During the home and away in '66 my father and I were at Moorabbin for the game against Carlton. Smashed them. At the end of the match I became separated from dad and had not been inculcated with the idea of staying where I was so I could be easily found. Got swept out of the ground like a trout with the crowd and must have cut a forlorn figure. Was approached by a lovely woman who took me to her house 5 minutes walk away from the ground. Turned out to be Carl's mum. Could remember my phone number at least but before anyone had arrived to pick me up all the players began to stream into the house 45 minutes after the game, Payze, Cowboy...all hitting Mrs Ditterich's fridge for beers, no jubes or icebaths back then. I was overawed. Word must have got out in Noble Park and half my neighbourhood turned up to pick me up. The players were charming and all came out to greet the throng. I was a legend for a couple of days. Still have the signed photos of Carl.

Last edited:
I was too young for that but my Hawks mate likes to remind me that at some point of that game the Hawks and Saints had one premiership each, since then the Hawks have won a premiership every 7 years or something like that after his personal "heroics". I irrationally hate Keddie and I don't know what he looks like. His daughter was an actress and when I found out the relationship I irrationally disliked her and any production she has ever been involved in as well.

Interesting piece I heard from Dermot on SEN, he claimed that players who win a premiership in their time in footy have better life outcomes throughout the rest of their life and the Hawks play on that as a motivator. I have always wondered what the psychology of following an unsuccessful club are, does it really build character or change your levels of general optimism etc. Saints fans are generally pretty upbeat and quite resilient from my small sample size of friends and come from all walks of life. It would be a fascinating study to track footy followers from different clubs and measure their levels of happiness etc. When your club is winning there is definitely a more positive general feeling for me and weekends can't come quick enough.
Dermot said something interesting!

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow Verdun. I shed those same tears listening to the same broadcast as a 7 year old in '65. I like to think that, like me, you were back listening in '66 or better still, at the game. i recall jockettes had been released around that time as an alternative to y fronts. My parents must have decided it was time for me to channel something so I was bestowed with the leopard skin variety. It was cool enough to wear pants and a shirt that day but what would be the point in that. Deep into the match I wondered if those undies would help me contain the tears of defeat that had flowed the previous year. And then it happened...Barry Breen...a point. I raced out my front door to the end of my street in Noble Park, a screaming tiny tarzan, skinny arms punching through the air. When I got there deep breaths and a feeling of unbridled joy. I still reference that moment as a benchmark for any moments of pure elation I've experienced subsequently in my life...the birth of my son and few others. After taking those breaths I experienced for the first time something of the nature of ephemerality. Neighbours were out of their houses pointing and laughing at the crazy semi naked kid and I recall slinking back home. Serves as a rather sad metaphor for the Saints since then.
Having said that it's been a long time since I've felt so positive about the Saints. They play a much more attractive brand of footy than under Ross and I see big things ahead. Friends and family have wondered whether I might consider donning a pair of leopard skins when it happens again, bolting to the corner of a different street in a different state. It's a thought but I suspect the police might be invoved next time around.
This is my first post but have been lurking here for many years. Seems timely to thank all of the contributors who've helped me process the pain of defeat and the pleasure of victory. All the best to you all.
Fortunately for me I was there in '66. Made up for '65. Very high in the Northern Stand with my Dad. Was right behind Max Pitt's great goal in the last quarter. But equally was pretty much behind Barry Breen's snap for his bounced through point. Infamous spot for bounces when it comes to Saints fans!

I went to nearly every game in '66 but missed out a couple. Thankfully we didn't go to Victoria Park mid season when we copped a belting. Good choice by the old man. Went to all the finals. Can remember exactly where we sat for each game. Watched all the other GF's on telly in various parts of the world. I was at the '09 GF though. '09 and '10 scarred me for sure. I date my heart trouble back to then....seriously.

Fortunately for me I was there in '66. Made up for '65. Very high in the Northern Stand with my Dad. Was right behind Max Pitt's great goal in the last quarter. But equally was pretty much behind Barry Breen's snap for his bounced through point. Infamous spot for bounces when it comes to Saints fans!

I went to nearly every game in '66 but missed out a couple. Thankfully we didn't go to Victoria Park mid season when we copped a belting. Good choice by the old man. Went to all the finals. Can remember exactly where we sat for each game. Watched all the other GF's on telly in various parts of the world. I was at the '09 GF though. '09 and '10 scarred me for sure. I date my heart trouble back to then....seriously.

The BJ mark nearly stopped my heart. I really thought we were going to win at that point.

The BJ mark nearly stopped my heart. I really thought we were going to win at that point.
I was directly behind the Punt Road end goals but can clearly remember those moments. The atmosphere was truly electric at that time.

Just after BJ slotted it I found myself hugging random saints supporters in the vicinity. What a feeling. Like you Gringo, I thought we were home. Never mind. What could have been...

Perhaps, just perhaps 2021 will be our year! I personally feel more optimistic about the saints now

t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep same here ... my wife had to thump me to start breathing cause as BJ took that mark i uncontrolably held my breath.. my missus swears i turned blue in the face so much she though i was choking on something hence the thump from her ...

That’s the one moment I see from those 09/10 years that still makes me react involuntarily. A fleeting moment of the purest belief that I would never otherwise afford myself.
its amazing how that one moment of pure joy was then replaced by a moment of frustration when the one man who had not looked like getting anywhere near the ball all game Leon Davis snapped that goal out of nowhere ... for get the dodgy bounce for poor Milney that moment Leon found the ball in his hands was the dagger ... still to this day i cant believe that ! Malthouse quickly learnt his lesson and dropped him for the replay ... Leon Davis the guy who took our flag with one kick

its amazing how that one moment of pure joy was then replaced by a moment of frustration when the one man who had not looked like getting anywhere near the ball all game Leon Davis snapped that goal out of nowhere ... for get the dodgy bounce for poor Milney that moment Leon found the ball in his hands was the dagger ... still to this day i cant believe that ! Malthouse quickly learnt his lesson and dropped him for the replay ... Leon Davis the guy who took our flag with one kick
That was a bit earlier in the final quarter from memory. They took it down and Cloke or Dawes kicked a soft one from close in after the BJ goal.

That was a bit earlier in the final quarter from memory. They took it down and Cloke or Dawes kicked a soft one from close in after the BJ goal.
you might be right ... i just remember the Davis goal out of nowhere really took the wind out ... that may have been after Lenny kicked the "he found some extra metres when he needed it " goal ...

That’s the one moment I see from those 09/10 years that still makes me react involuntarily. A fleeting moment of the purest belief that I would never otherwise afford myself.

I used to go to a lot of games at Moorabbin- I was there for the goal from the free at the centre bounce, some massive bags from plugger and a ton of defeats - I was at etihad when Gardner knocked out the Geelong guy to mark, goal and win a massive clash - but that Goddard mark is the best thing I have ever seen as a saints fan in the crowd - everyone went beserk and I too thought we would win 😕😕

I was at the Punt Road end too and just saw a flash of white fly up and then the roar of the crowd. I had tears and was choking up in the beer queue talking to another Saints fan earlier at 3 quarter time saying that I couldn’t believe we were back in it. Such a shame, it would have been the greatest game ever.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was so pissed because was nervous af and had recently quit smoking so was deleting beers like a mad campaigner that I fell off my barstool right before BJ took that grab. In my haze I believed that I couldn't move from that spot lest something bad happen. well fmd, should've sat there for 8 days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back