FTA-TV The Office: US or UK?

Also the implied idea of what happened in the car with Lee rather than showing it. Brilliantly done.

There are a lot of articles online about ‘why Tim is the bad guy in the office’ based on him trying to cut Lee’s grass etc etc.

It’s garbage - the first time he asks her out he is under the illusion that she and Lee have broken up. By the time he does it again it’s obvious to anyone that knows them that Lee is a pig and Dawn is wasting her life with him.
Horseshit tims the bad guyLOL

I wouldnt even say he gets close. Lees a prick who deserves everything he gets- not to mention he cannot take a joke.

AND the part we're they're downstairs in the warehouse- and he makes a crack about Dawn's boobs in front of everyone. Just disgusting, i would have slapped him.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Even the subtlety of Brent calling him Chris and not Finchy is spot on. I remember in high school having the same realisation that a charismatic bully that I had been trying to appease was actually a complete and utter dickhead. Such brilliant writing.

It’s the ultimate redemption.

It’s a huge part imo of why the Brent movie failed so poorly, his arc ended there. Also why the US cameos were groaners.

There’s a part right at the end of the Xmas episode where you see Brent watching Tim and Dawn and he has a bit of an “I made that” look of satisfaction which I tend to think was an unintentional Gervais break. It’s a shame he forgot he redeemed Brent, at least as far as we needed to see.

It’s a huge part imo of why the Brent movie failed so poorly, his arc ended there. Also why the US cameos were groaners.

There’s a part right at the end of the Xmas episode where you see Brent watching Tim and Dawn and he has a bit of an “I made that” look of satisfaction which I tend to think was an unintentional Gervais break. It’s a shame he forgot he redeemed Brent, at least as far as we needed to see.

Didnt bother with the movie. I think i was OS at the time anyway, so i "missed" it- and i dont want to see it.

Hahahah yeah that look- i thought it was more a "awwww its about bloody time" look

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Didnt bother with the movie. I think i was OS at the time anyway, so i "missed" it- and i dont want to see it.

Hahahah yeah that look- i thought it was more a "awwww its about bloody time" look

I'm tempted to rewatch it as a completionist (I'm pretty sure I was stoned when I watched it) having seen the UK series a hundred times but there was nothing memorable from that movie.

You could well be right about that look too but I always base it on him saying the show was always about the Tim/Dawn love story so he knew everything was about that pay off.

I love that special though... remember watching it "live" the Boxing Day it came out with pantskyle and we were both a leetle bit drunk. Needless to say the song 'Only You' is a bit triggering of the dusty eyes even 17 years later.

I'm tempted to rewatch it as a completionist (I'm pretty sure I was stoned when I watched it) having seen the UK series a hundred times but there was nothing memorable from that movie.

You could well be right about that look too but I always base it on him saying the show was always about the Tim/Dawn love story so he knew everything was about that pay off.

I love that special though... remember watching it "live" the Boxing Day it came out with pantskyle and we were both a leetle bit drunk. Needless to say the song 'Only You' is a bit triggering of the dusty eyes even 17 years later.

Go get the guitar.

Yeah nah, see I'm the opposite. I prefer to retain the perfection that is the TV series- and not be.... idk contaminated? By the stupid movie.

Same deal with my beloved Blues Brothers. I saw Blues Brothers 2000- i lasted 40ish minutes before walking out. Pathetic movie.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Probably would have been the UK version if Ricky didn't do the worst cringe humour in history

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

When it ended I really wanted there to be a follow up with Brent, but after a year or two I hoped they wouldn't ( after watching it all another 10 times ).
It was the perfect finish there for that character and the series .

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
My favourite scene from The Office Christmas special was when David Brent was in the car trying to hook up a date with some bird (his words not mine).

He brags about being in the BBC documentary The Office and she says "You're not that awful boss are you?", then he cuts her off 'too many questions,. chill out".

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My favourite scene from The Office Christmas special was when David Brent was in the car trying to hook up a date with some bird (his words not mine).

He brags about being in the BBC documentary The Office and she says "You're not that awful boss are you?", then he cuts her off 'too many questions,. chill out".

Classic ! ' whats my name or whats his name ??'

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
This whole scene with his blind date at the pub is comedy gold.

The way he is just oblivious to how rude and obnoxious he is.

David Brent is the greatest comedy character since Basil Fawlty imo, both horribly flawed characters but they are unintentionally hilarious at the same time.

Back