AFLCA Coach Of The Year Award - Alaistair Clarkson has never won this award

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Four time premiership coach Alaistar Clarkson has never won this award. Taking charge of 15th place Hawthorn in the 2005 season - steering them to four premierships and five grand finals hasn't been enough for his peers to recognise him as the coach of the season.

Can we take this award seriously? We simply cannot. For Ken Hinkley to have won this twice and Clarkson not once shows that coaches vote for the coach who gets the most improvement from one season to the next rather than who the actual 'best' coach is.

Hinkley as an example, has had the same core playing group for close to a decade - Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Ebert, Rockliff, Dixon, Motlop, Jonas, Hartlett all over 30 and played together for years. Yet this recognition for Hinkley is absent of the fact from 2015 until 2019 - Port underperformed and wasted the core years of this group. They are thought of as young, however they are older than Richmond and much, much older than Brisbane.

Yet Clarkson - who during that time won three premierships and coached his team in four grand finals was not once deemed the coach of the season.

I find it bewildering that Clarkson hasn't won it rather than Hinkley winning it twice - by the way. Hinkley is just an example.

Screenshot_20210103-105813_Samsung Internet.jpg

Who cares? It’s their award, they can give it to who they like.

It seems like a fairly reasonable voting process, so you can’t accuse them of being wrong. It’s the collective opinion of the group.
Your opinion is more a philosophical mindset than a relevant contribution to this thread. Clarkson has won FOUR premierships and never deemed good enough by his peers for coach of the year. They are quite clearly drowning in their own salty water.

Maybe this award shouldn't be recognised and looked at in the same vain as a Teen Choice Award for Disney

Your opinion is more a philosophical mindset than a relevant contribution to this thread. Clarkson has won FOUR premierships and never deemed good enough by his peers for coach of the year. They are quite clearly drowning in their own salty water.

Maybe this award shouldn't be recognised and looked at in the same vain as a Teen Choice Award for Disney

Dunno if we’ve ever seen much salt toward Clarkson from other coaches. Unless I’ve missed it.

Maybe they value different aspects of the role more importantly? It’d appear that’s the case. And that doesn’t even really mean they’re right - maybe they miss the forest for the trees?

Four time premiership coach Alaistar Clarkson has never won this award. Taking charge of 15th place Hawthorn in the 2005 season - steering them to four premierships and five grand finals hasn't been enough for his peers to recognise him as the coach of the season.

Can we take this award seriously? We simply cannot. For Ken Hinkley to have won this twice and Clarkson not once shows that coaches vote for the coach who gets the most improvement from one season to the next rather than who the actual 'best' coach is.

Hinkley as an example, has had the same core playing group for close to a decade - Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Ebert, Rockliff, Dixon, Motlop, Jonas, Hartlett all over 30 and played together for years. Yet this recognition for Hinkley is absent of the fact from 2015 until 2019 - Port underperformed and wasted the core years of this group. They are thought of as young, however they are older than Richmond and much, much older than Brisbane.

Yet Clarkson - who during that time won three premierships and coached his team in four grand finals was not once deemed the coach of the season.

I find it bewildering that Clarkson hasn't won it rather than Hinkley winning it twice - by the way. Hinkley is just an example.

View attachment 1034992

ken is better than alaistair. PAFC will do the gentleman's thing and offer a swap.

the hawks need a break from insufferable coaching and premierships.

It's a home & away award.

Which season would you expect Clarkson to have won?

Bevridge won 2016 - bulldogs finished 7th
Hardwick lost 2018 - Tigers 3 games ontop

Just from the last few winners.

To answer your question - in 2013, Hawthorn finished clear first on the ladder, won the premiership, came off a Grand Finap defeat. The award was won by Ken Hinkley, who coached Port to a 7th place finish.

So it's not really a home and away award at all 🤷‍♂️

To answer your question - in 2013, Hawthorn finished clear first on the ladder, won the premiership, came off a Grand Finap defeat. The award was won by Ken Hinkley, who coached Port to a 7th place finish.

Hawthorn had easily the best list in the comp in 2013, and got a good run with injuries. He did what any good coach would've done during the H&A season- coached them to the minor premiership.

Rightly or wrongly, the perception at the time was Hinkley did incredibly well developing his team and getting the most out of them, given the list of players at his disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Alistair Clarkson and Chris Scott intimidate the other coaches or maybe it is a good bloke type award not won by intimidating pricks.

Maybe Alistair Clarkson and Chris Scott intimidate the other coaches or maybe it is a good bloke type award not won by intimidating pricks.
Clarkson is a bit of an angry little midget, known for punching holes in walls and occasionally sniping opposition players and coaches in press conferences.

Someone like Hinkley appears more mild mannered and likeable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clarkson is greatly respected by fellow coaches but privately not hugely popular.

But like I said, a more likely reason for his lack of awards is because it's a H&A award- his teams have generally been good during H&A, but not standouts given the immense talent he had.

It seems to be a bit random. Hinkley in 2013 looks like a 'reward for effort' win. which I understand. There was a degree of difficulty there.

How hard would it have been for Worsfold to coach the Eagles in 06? My grandmother could have won a flag with the Cox, Cousins, Judd, Kerr midfield.

Bevridge won 2016 - bulldogs finished 7th
Hardwick lost 2018 - Tigers 3 games ontop

Just from the last few winners.

So it's not really a home and away award at all 🤷‍♂️

I meant, it’s awarded after the home and away. The best finals coach does get an award. A premiership medal

I agree Clarko not having one is absurd. A hawthorn we have our own explaination why

I meant, it’s awarded after the home and away. The best finals coach does get an award. A premiership medal

I agree Clarko not having one is absurd. A hawthorn we have our own explaination why

Envy is my honest opinion. You know Fagan, Hardwick and Bevridge would have given Clarkson votes for certain.

This award seems to go to the coach who gets the biggest improvement from one year to the next. Thats how I see it, not an indicator on who the best coach is.

'Most improved Coach of the Year'.

I dont think clarksons sitting there and complaining about winning coach of the year. Without looking it up im sure bill belicheck wouldn't of won many in the nfl as well. Its a nothing award

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You could even argue Hardwick is undervalued by this award. It just seems some coaches are liked more than others. Hardwick and Clarko have 7 premierships between them and won 1 coaches award. Bevo and Hinckley have 1 premiership and 4 awards between them. Its partly media driven too. Hawthorn were not liked by the media due to their “unsociable” approach. Richmond have copped a lot of flak lately too and it reflects on their coaches.

You could even argue Hardwick is undervalued by this award. It just seems some coaches are liked more than others. Hardwick and Clarko have 7 premierships between them and won 1 coaches award. Bevo and Hinckley have 1 premiership and 4 awards between them. Its partly media driven too. Hawthorn were not liked by the media due to their “unsociable” approach. Richmond have copped a lot of flak lately too and it reflects on their coaches.
There is plenty of merit to this comment.

It could be argued that this is a glorified popularity vote. When you look at the AFLPA player of the year awards, they are celebrated for being very true to reality

When you say 7 premierships and 1 award, it is mind blowing to be honest. To me, I hope a seed is planted in the back of everyone's mind here - how worthless this award is now.

Hardwick got 2017's so I didn't delve deeper - for Clarkson to go without one - akin to Phil Jackson or Alex Ferguson not being celebrated by their peers.

We often talk about supporting coaches because its such an isolated job, but they have genuinely got to be better and support each other. The jealously seeps through when you dig a little deep. Acknowledge genius and stop being tall poppy, Australians love a good old tall poppy. Must cut it down to the ground. Clarkson winning another premiership would be sweet - How many exclamation marks can he put on the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back