List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think there is a winner on draft night, how can there be, as no ones really knows how they are going to preform, and how many games they will play and at what level.
But what the draft can do, is give teams hope and supporters especially when you draft good and enough high end talent.
I think we did well, but only time can and games will really show how well

I don’t think there is a winner on draft night, how can there be, as no ones really knows how they are going to preform, and how many games they will play and at what level.
But what the draft can do, is give teams hope and supporters especially when you draft good and enough high end talent.

You are right the Main Thing you want to take from Draft night is HOPE more then Winning the Draft as we won't have an idea until 3-5 Years down the Track.

With 5 top 31 Picks and we looked to got players that where rated Higher then we Picked gives you hope there could be a Few Future Guns in this Draft Class and Even Drafting a KPF which we barley do

COLLINGWOOD
Vacant list spots: 2

Train-on players: Jack Briskey (Sherwood Magpies, Queensland)

If Collingwood snared Briskey, it would be rookie-listing him on raw potential, not as someone who would be expected to contribute immediately. The athletic, aggressive key defender, was in Brisbane’s academy and an overlooked draft prospect last month. The Toowoomba local performed strongly at the draft combine, including finishing equal-fourth (94cm) in the running vertical jump and recording 2.94 secs in the 20m sprint. Collingwood may want to wait until the mid-season draft to make its decisions, so it can look at the best available talent, particularly in Victoria, where there has not been lower-level games for a year. Given their significant squad turnover, the Magpies may opt for a more experienced option, either coming off a list or in a state league, rather than an 18 or 19-year-old.

COLLINGWOOD
Vacant list spots: 2

Train-on players: Jack Briskey (Sherwood Magpies, Queensland)

If Collingwood snared Briskey, it would be rookie-listing him on raw potential, not as someone who would be expected to contribute immediately. The athletic, aggressive key defender, was in Brisbane’s academy and an overlooked draft prospect last month. The Toowoomba local performed strongly at the draft combine, including finishing equal-fourth (94cm) in the running vertical jump and recording 2.94 secs in the 20m sprint. Collingwood may want to wait until the mid-season draft to make its decisions, so it can look at the best available talent, particularly in Victoria, where there has not been lower-level games for a year. Given their significant squad turnover, the Magpies may opt for a more experienced option, either coming off a list or in a state league, rather than an 18 or 19-year-old.

Wonder IF we invite anyone else?

With 2 List Spots we could take 1 Rooke and 1 for the Mid-Season Draft

SSP list lodgement opens this Wednesday and stays open until just before round 1.
you would think we keep at least one spot open until mid season draft. (Knowing also there might be another selection in mid season draft available if someone gets injured early in season with a long term one )

if we do take 1 SSP selection- what do we need? More key defender depth like McDonald or Sam Murray’s brother? An indigenous small forward? A young key forward?
a small defender from SANFL like Mansell?
Brodie Lake from the NT?
Zavier Maher?
a delisted player like Mason Wood?

SSP list lodgement opens this Wednesday and stays open until just before round 1.
you would think we keep at least one spot open until mid season draft. (Knowing also there might be another selection in mid season draft available if someone gets injured early in season with a long term one )

if we do take 1 SSP selection- what do we need? More key defender depth like McDonald or Sam Murray’s brother? An indigenous small forward? A young key forward?
a small defender from SANFL like Mansell?
Brodie Lake from the NT?
Zavier Maher?
a delisted player like Mason Wood?
I believe we’ve recruited Mason Wood.

To our VFL squad.

Buckley will be keen on a senior guy like Wood to try and get himself a contract extension
I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that that’s not the direction the club or Buckley are taking, so I’m not sure why you’re persisting with it.

Also, who the * complains about a coach trying to get wins?

Very true and even more so this year with the lack of U18 footy. It’s a high risk draft we were forced into because of our cap issues while most other clubs steered away. If it works and there are plenty of good kids in this draft we may get a big jump forward. If 2020 ends up being a poor draft we may pay a big price. Won’t know for a few seasons yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that that’s not the direction the club or Buckley are taking, so I’m not sure why you’re persisting with it.

Also, who the fu** complains about a coach trying to get wins?
The point is (which most non hyperbole merchants will understand) that we need to rebuild for the next flag most likely with a new coach in 2022.
We cannot afford to take any shortcuts to help Bucks by recruiting players like Mason Wood who might have a small initial impact but are proven to not be up to the level.

Very true and even more so this year with the lack of U18 footy. It’s a high risk draft we were forced into because of our cap issues while most other clubs steered away. If it works and there are plenty of good kids in this draft we may get a big jump forward. If 2020 ends up being a poor draft we may pay a big price. Won’t know for a few seasons yet

We where not the only Team that Traded Back in.

Geelong Did and they Normally Draft and Trade Well

The point is (which most non hyperbole merchants will understand) that we need to rebuild for the next flag most likely with a new coach in 2022.
We cannot afford to take any shortcuts to help Bucks by recruiting players like Mason Wood who might have a small initial impact but are proven to not be up to the level.
I got your point. I just think it’s a dumb thing to say when its very clear that the club has already heavily gone down the youth path this off season. Whether or not we need a new coach remains to be seen and will likely be answered this year, but the crap about ‘oh Buckley is gonna recruit guys like Wood to try and save his job’ is ridiculous to the extreme. A quarter of the list now is filled with draftees from 2019/20. Even if we did recruit an experienced player now (which is unlikely), it would have nothing to do with Buckley saving his job and everything to do with basic list balance.

We where not the only Team that Traded Back in.

Geelong Did and they Normally Draft and Trade Well
I’m still shocked that Geelong traded their 2021 first rounder, especially for a kid who’s a bit of a smokey. Massive risk to take when next years draft is meant to be so much stronger and less compromised.

I am ok with what they did this year, as l believe the kids we got have the talent, just wish we did the same a few of drafts ago, when we mite have got naughton as well., even balta. That was the draft to do the same, use next years first( Beams) which l want the club to do. Get another first and second.
If the club had done so we could have avoided the pain this year, by not having to keep all the group together.

I am ok with what they did this year, as l believe the kids we got have the talent, just wish we did the same a few of drafts ago, when we mite have got naughton as well., even balta. That was the draft to do the same, use next years first( Beams) which l want the club to do. Get another first and second.
If the club had done so we could have avoided the pain this year, by not having to keep all the group together.

We did not know what we where doing in the next Trade/Draft Period the next year where we know that Nick Daicos be a 1st Rounder this year so we Traded for more Picks in the last Draft

Buckley will be keen on a senior guy like Wood to try and get himself a contract extension
How could getting mason wood help Buckley get a contract extension, the guy is ok, but he is not Wayne Carey. If the team is winning what does it matter who the coach is. We could by all probability get a new coach at the end of next season, but does not automatically means success

How could getting mason wood help Buckley get a contract extension, the guy is ok, but he is not Wayne Carey. If the team is winning what does it matter who the coach is. We could by all probability get a new coach at the end of next season, but does not automatically means success

Well at least be something new and not just trying the Same Old Thing all the TIme

We did not know what we where doing in the next Trade/Draft Period the next year where we know that Nick Daicos be a 1st Rounder this year so we Traded for more Picks in the last Draft
Understand that td, why they did it this year, and l agree with it. We could have done the same a few years ago as well which was my point, and be team wise in a better position. With a few player already gone from the list.

Actually we knew that we had Quaynor available to us in the next draft, so we were in a very similar position to what we were in this year. If we’d traded our 2018 first in 2017 I reckon we could have been very likely to get a top 10 for it and been able to get Naughton or Fogarty.

Well at least be something new and not just trying the Same Old Thing all the TIme
By trying something new for the sake of it, we could be well and truely in a worse spot.

Actually we knew that we had Quaynor available to us in the next draft, so we were in a very similar position to what we were in this year. If we’d traded our 2018 first in 2017 I reckon we could have been very likely to get a top 10 for it and been able to get Naughton or Fogarty.
At the time l thought that play was right, and still do, wish we did.
A lot of pain this year could have been avoided.
Got better value this year, and still did the same draft wise. Oh well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back