Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Not really, sometimes you need to take less at QB in order to keep others. Tread water until you find the guy rather than overpaying someone.
Teams record with Jimmy G at qb as opposed to when he is missing is stark.

The only big loss we look like taking this year is Sherman and I reckon we can cover him. No need to get rid of Garopollo to take a shot on someone unproven unless Shanahan and Lynch think they can get an adequate replacement. Injury free this team should be a playoff team again next year so we need a good qb

Teams record with Jimmy G at qb as opposed to when he is missing is stark.

The only big loss we look like taking this year is Sherman and I reckon we can cover him. No need to get rid of Garopollo to take a shot on someone unproven unless Shanahan and Lynch think they can get an adequate replacement. Injury free this team should be a playoff team again next year so we need a good qb

It not as easy as that. It's looking at the players you have to pay coming up and asking if JG is worth the 27.5 million salary he'd be on for the next two years if you keep him. The answer is pretty clearly no.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers are expected to promote ILBs coach DeMeco Ryans to replace departed DC Robert Saleh.
The 36-year-old Ryans went straight from playing to coach Kyle Shanahan's first 49ers staff in 2017. A 2007 first-team All-Pro as a player, Ryans spent the past three years learning under Shanahan and Saleh as ILBs coach. It's a quick rise for an assistant under a coach in Shanahan who has proven excellent at identifying sideline talent. Expect the move to become official sometime in the next 48 hours.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 14, 2021, 10:29 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
49ers promoted run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to offensive coordinator.
McDanile will replace Mike LaFleur, who recently took the Jets' offensive coordinator position. McDaniel, 36, oversaw one of the league's most successful run offenses in 2019, and 49ers running backs excelled in spot duty for much of the team's injury-ravaged 2020 campaign. Fantasy players can expect continuity in the Niners' offense with McDaniel taking the OC gig.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jan 18, 2021, 11:00 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
49ers hired former Giants defensive coordinator James Bettcher.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Bettcher, who served as the Giants' defensive coordinator for two seasons after a defensive coordinator stint in Arizona, will "provide veteran assistance for new [defensive] coordinator DeMeco Ryans," bolstering the team's defense after losing Robert Saleh to the Jets. Bettcher had received head coaching interest from several teams in recent offseasons.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 23, 2021, 3:29 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
49ers’ great Charlie Krueger dies at 84

Former defensive tackle Charlie Krueger, one of only 12 players in 49ers’ franchise history with his number retired, died Friday, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports. Krueger was 84.

Krueger died in Contra Costa County, California, of heart and kidney failure.

He spent his entire 15-year career with the 49ers, earning two Pro Bowl berths and two All-Pro honors from 1959-73. The 49ers made him the eighth overall choice in 1958 after he twice earned All-America honors at Texas A&M while playing for Bear Bryant.

Krueger was among the last linemen to wear a single-bar facemask, and in 1973, Sports Illustrated featured him in a story titled “The Last of the Old Leather.”

Krueger, receiver Dwight Clark and quarterback John Brodie are the only 49ers among the 12 with their jersey number retired who are not also in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

In 1987, Krueger won a lawsuit against the 49ers, who a state court found guilty of fraud for failing to reveal to Krueger the severity of a knee injury that permanently crippled him. Krueger, who was unaware his ACL was removed from his left knee during a 1963 surgery, won $66,000 in special damages and $2.3 million in general damages.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Not gonna lie, I thought talk was crazy last year around if Brady QB'ing for us against the Chiefs that we would have won the Superbowl. I rejected it at the time but after watching him pretty much all season (and especially today) he would have been the difference maker.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not gonna lie, I thought talk was crazy last year around if Brady QB'ing for us against the Chiefs that we would have won the Superbowl. I rejected it at the time but after watching him pretty much all season (and especially today) he would have been the difference maker.
I posted a tweet tonight where Brady tried signing with the Niners first, but they said no

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Jimmy G. He's a decent QB - but needs the parts around him. So for us to contend we need to go injury free (or no major injuries), or move on to another option (low contract or playmaker).

We've got a little space in our cap - and we can flex heaps if we cut Jimmy G.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out over the coming weeks

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
I posted a tweet tonight where Brady tried signing with the Niners first, but they said no

Fyi up till this season I couldn't stand Brady (must be the patriot way) - but found myself changing my perspective. He's still a total quack - but I love how his awareness of his limitations is his greatest strength. Insane that someone so limited, at age 43 (balling like a 25 year old) is at absolute GOAT level.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyi up till this season I couldn't stand Brady (must be the patriot way) - but found myself changing my perspective. He's still a total quack - but I love how his awareness of his limitations is his greatest strength. Insane that someone so limited, at age 43 (balling like a 25 year old) is at absolute GOAT level.
Intangibles, leadership. 10 SBs, winning 7. Youd be crazy to pass up having that in your org. He can bring players around the league to your team, ride him for a ring, etc

I have to disagree...last year every pivotal moment went the Chiefs way...yesterday Mahomes was running for his life all day and the Chiefs never had one bounce of the ball go their way.

tbf if our defensive line put as much pressure on Mahomes as the Tampa d did we would have won last year

Brady had a really good game but the Bucs d was brilliant

tbf if our defensive line put as much pressure on Mahomes as the Tampa d did we would have won last year

Brady had a really good game but the Bucs d was brilliant

Agree Bucs D was good...against a patch work offensive line. Bosa put in one of the greatest individual defensive efforts ever last year and if not for a holding non-call on the pivotal Hill catch in the 4th quarter the 49ers win that in a canter.

Agree Bucs D was good...against a patch work offensive line. Bosa put in one of the greatest individual defensive efforts ever last year and if not for a holding non-call on the pivotal Hill catch in the 4th quarter the 49ers win that in a canter.
yeah the Chiefs offense dropped some catches they normally wouldn't have and their defense was too undisciplined

The defensive set up from the Bucs was genius. Double team Hill for the most part and then when they got in the red zone take the double team away from Hill where his speed is neutralized and double team Kelse

Last edited:
yeah the buck offense dropped some catches they normally wouldn't have and their defense was too undisciplined

The defensive set up from the Bucs was genius. Double team Hill for the most part and then when they got in the red zone take the double team away from Hill where his speed is neutralized and double team Kelse

Assume you meant Chiefs!

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Will be interesting to see what happens with our QB situation, I know they publicly state they will stick with Jimmy G but I think it may turn out differently.

Back