NSW Covid outbreak

Remove this Banner Ad

Great, now it's back in Melbourne because NSW and their stupid populist gov won't take it seriously.

We should have done like wa and just closed the borders until they look like they're even going to take it half seriously.

fu** you nsw

NSW is run by right-wing halfwits, but our centrist halfwits knew that. This is ultimately on our halfwits.

Gladys has long signalled that she is a terrible person to be in charge of NSW's response, and her incompetence has only been masked by a strong contact tracing system and blind luck.

The whole idea of border closures based on 'hot spots' is an incomprehensibly ridiculous idea when you are dealing with a virus that spreads through asymptomatic carriers, and has a median incubation period of 5-7 days and up to 14 days.

Covid-19 doesn't respect Local Government Area boundaries, believe it or not.

Here’s an observation.

The 2 “power” States in Australia, have had major stuff ups with this virus. Admittedly they have a high proportion of the Aus population in their borders, but have their leaders become accustomed to getting their way with the Federal government and thus not learnt to be tough when required ?.

Interesting that it appears that WA, SA, QLD etc, who are looked at Federally, as “loose change”, have stood up and basically done what is required. Some may say, “with an iron fist”, or “dictatorship”.

Whose economies are ticking along nicely, ...... home of the “iron fists”.

This is an interesting discussion point to look at, do you go hard and lock everything up for a short period ( eg. WA ), or do you try to keep most things running ( eg. placate business’s, NSW / Vic ) ?. We may not have a definitive answer for another 12 months, when hopefully Aus has this virus more controlled.

Can be damned if you do, damned if you don’t, at times. Well supported ( health, economic, education officials ) stubborn leadership may be the way to go. Needs more ethos of Fleetwood Mac, ....... go your own way.

From my grassy knoll, I feel after the Victorian experience, the NSW authorities are still being a bit lukewarm. As I said above, placating business ( tourism, sporting venues, NSW’s image in Aus makeup ).
To me, the fact that NSW didn't enforce mantadory masks at least in the hotspot area is deplorable. That and Gladys publicly stated she didn't enforce stricter restrictions at Christmas because it would be unpopular with voters.

Vic locked down hard and now has nothing, while NSW are still getting these outbreaks and having to restrict business and movement. That says it all.

NSW is run by right-wing halfwits, but our centrist halfwits knew that. This is ultimately on our halfwits.

Gladys has long signalled that she is a terrible person to be in charge of NSW's response, and her incompetence has only been masked by a strong contact tracing system and blind luck.

The whole idea of border closures based on 'hot spots' is an incomprehensibly ridiculous idea when you are dealing with a virus that spreads through asymptomatic carriers, and has a median incubation period of 5-7 days and up to 14 days.

Covid-19 doesn't respect Local Government Area boundaries, believe it or not.
Would covid from the nsw clusters have gotten into Vic if we didn't let anyone from NSW in?

Here’s an observation.

The 2 “power” States in Australia, have had major stuff ups with this virus. Admittedly they have a high proportion of the Aus population in their borders, but have their leaders become accustomed to getting their way with the Federal government and thus not learnt to be tough when required ?.

Interesting that it appears that WA, SA, QLD etc, who are looked at Federally, as “loose change”, have stood up and basically done what is required. Some may say, “with an iron fist”, or “dictatorship”.

In the case of Victoria, the Andrews Government was hauled across the coals by the Feds for being too tough before the big breakout (go back and see all of the hand wringing over Mother's Day). The issue with Victoria wasn't so much the logic behind the decisions but the execution. Poor contact tracing, the private security guards (although a little birdie told me that no-one signed off on the decision as once the police said no, it was just assumed that the private sector would do the dirty work). The breakout occurred when a security guard broke the law and attended a family gathering and it was exacerbated by the gig economy which spread it through aged care.

With the NSW breakout, the state government has done sweet FA to address it. It's now outside of Sydney. Just to show this isn't a partisan thing, look how South Australia handled it. Hard and fast, knocked it on the head and as you note travelling nicely. Surely they should learn from the Victorian mistake of trying to ring suburbs - it didn't work. Cities like Adelaide and Auckland, knocked it on the head quickly and sharply. Why not follow the successful examples?

Maybe hotel quarantine near CBDs is the issue (note Sydney and Melbourne airports have lots of accommodation nearby). The figures show they have been successful in the height nineties, it’s just the remaining few which escape can be so infectious

I have to apologise as it was Victorians who started the virus up again by travelling north infected then bsck again into Victoria “unknowingly” of course but they must have had some symptoms and should of went for a test beforehand.

10 new cases in Victoria this morning,this virus spreads like wildfire and it is scary with the football season only months away.

Another season like last year’s may spell dangerous consequences for the code alot of us live for,a code which gives us hope in times of trouble.

I think face masks should still be worn outside,we can’t be blase’ about this virus.

The first thing that should've been done was to close the international borders until at least middle of 2021...tough luck to those left stranded. We are an island, it shouldn't have been this hard to control internally.

We now have some dastardly infectious african version of covid appearing....

As for this latest outbreak in NSW and Victoria, well NSW learnt nothing from Victoria's last outbreak obviously.

Compulsary masks indoor and out, and a complete lockdown immediately of ALL of Sydney might have been a good start! Curfews, limited travel etc. and forget bloody exercise, if people cant exercise in their backyards or inside the house in times like this then there is something terribly wrong with their thinking...

Too much pussy-footing around by the politicians....tough measures were needed right from the damned start. The vast majority of people would have welcomed it. Let the vocal minority who squawk about their "rights" go to hell. Individual rights go out the window in a pandemac like this......it becomes about us as a community and not about me the selfish individual!

...of course its too late now. People here in Victoria were warned not to go to NSW weeks ago, but no they did what they wanted to do, bugger the consquences..

I'm so over the "couldn't care less about others" attitude of some people....

....as we here in Victoria look about to be consumed again with this bloody virus.

Wake up to yourselves people and do the right thing..

Here’s an observation.

Little brother syndrome.

Economies outside NSW and Vic probably rely less on movement and international movement of people. It’s well known the majority of immigration came there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masks are worthless, as people use "I have a medical condition" as an excuse, and there are absolutely no spot-checks happening by police (I work near a shopping precinct and notice this on all of my breaks).

If someone has a medical condition for not having a mask indoors, then there needs to be a permit system that certifies that as true by a medical practitioner that must be shown when requested to wear a mask - similar to how we needed permits to be outside curfew times.

Otherwise you might as well just make it optional, because there is nothing mandatory about it.

Masks are worthless, as people use "I have a medical condition" as an excuse, and there are absolutely no spot-checks happening by police (I work near a shopping precinct and notice this on all of my breaks).

If someone has a medical condition for not having a mask indoors, then there needs to be a permit system that certifies that as true by a medical practitioner that must be shown when requested to wear a mask - similar to how we needed permits to be outside curfew times.

Otherwise you might as well just make it optional, because there is nothing mandatory about it.
You do need a medical certificate. And the police can easily verify if if they need.

The first thing that should've been done was to close the international borders until at least middle of 2021...tough luck to those left stranded. We are an island, it shouldn't have been this hard to control internally.

We now have some dastardly infectious african version of covid appearing....

As for this latest outbreak in NSW and Victoria, well NSW learnt nothing from Victoria's last outbreak obviously.

Compulsary masks indoor and out, and a complete lockdown immediately of ALL of Sydney might have been a good start! Curfews, limited travel etc. and forget bloody exercise, if people cant exercise in their backyards or inside the house in times like this then there is something terribly wrong with their thinking...

Too much pussy-footing around by the politicians....tough measures were needed right from the damned start. The vast majority of people would have welcomed it. Let the vocal minority who squawk about their "rights" go to hell. Individual rights go out the window in a pandemac like this......it becomes about us as a community and not about me the selfish individual!

...of course its too late now. People here in Victoria were warned not to go to NSW weeks ago, but no they did what they wanted to do, bugger the consquences..

I'm so over the "couldn't care less about others" attitude of some people....

....as we here in Victoria look about to be consumed again with this bloody virus.

Wake up to yourselves people and do the right thing..

I don't disagree with everything you've said, but I think you can definitely cool your jets on a few things.

The current NSW and VIC 'outbreaks' are still quite localised after weeks of 'spread'. For a week now we've been hearing nothing but Doomsday scenarios from media and particular types of friends on Facebook and social media. Yesterday in Victoria... 3 cases.
NSW having multiple days of 30000+ tests for single digit positive results.

So while I do agree that things need to be done, claiming that 'Victoria is about to be consumed by the virus' is over the top and not helpful for anyones mental health, which is also a significant crisis in its own right.

Let's not sensationalise anything until the trends suggest things are legitimately getting out of control.

The mere fact we have an outbreak again after 2mths of zero cases because some people decide to do whatever they please regardless of warnings etc, and then throw in politicians slow off the mark, is of great concern to a lot of people......we now have borders closed again.

Closing the border is the right thing imo, but it should not have got to this stage again. ever.

Thanks to Gladys and her sloppy "restrictions"

....and by the way, the NSW spread is not localised, it is slowly but surely spreading further around NSW and managed to get down here.

...so I'm not sensationalising anything. I'm annoyed that there is a chance we might just have to live with all these restrictions again.

I have immediate family in both NSW and Qld. Twice we've had to put off our trip to see them. That upsets me greatly.

The mere fact we have an outbreak again after 2mths of zero cases because some people decide to do whatever they please regardless of warnings etc, and then throw in politicians slow off the mark, is of great concern to a lot of people......we now have borders closed again.

Closing the border is the right thing imo, but it should not have got to this stage again. ever.

Thanks to Gladys and her sloppy "restrictions"

....and by the way, the NSW spread is not localised, it is slowly but surely spreading further around NSW and managed to get down here.

...so I'm not sensationalising anything. I'm annoyed that there is a chance we might just have to live with all these restrictions again.

I have immediate family in both NSW and Qld. Twice we've had to put off our trip to see them. That upsets me greatly.

Likewise. We had to cancel 3 trips to QLD this year for family to meet my son. (Finally got there for Xmas).

Also living on a border town has been horrible because despite having no cases since June we are still the piggy in the middle.

However today, 0 cases in NSW and 3 in Victoria. Definitely cause for some optimism despite what mainstream media would have people believe.

It's up to all of us to keep up the apparent good work now.

It's utter madness in NSW and even Gladys has fallen for it...529 Flu deaths in NSW in 2017 with vaccinations readily available at selected Chemist Warehouse locations. Covid19 panic sees 14 currently in hospital and 3 in ICU! No deaths. NSW has 874 ICU beds, with a total nationwide of 2,378 available intensive care beds.

It's utter madness in NSW and even Gladys has fallen for it...529 Flu deaths in NSW in 2017 with vaccinations readily available at selected Chemist Warehouse locations. Covid19 panic sees 14 currently in hospital and 3 in ICU! No deaths. NSW has 874 ICU beds, with a total nationwide of 2,378 available intensive care beds.
Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is?

Bumping a thread from 7 months ago for this....

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is?
No wonder the world has gone mad, the point is, why are the premiers out of control scarmongering the entire nation...why is there a lock down in the first place? Why wasn't there any panic in 2017? We can continue to do this for the rest of our lives, but is this living? It's absurd!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back