Undrafted player watch

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I would have thought the point is that due to no u18 vic footy there's likely to be a few kids who went undrafted that would have jumped up the order had a season gone again. And yet we seem to be half committed to a guy that had every opportunity to be drafted by 17 other clubs last year but wasn't.

I have a general feeling of being underwhelmed. When a 3rd attempt small forward goes in the 30s, it's hard to think much of the draft after the first round or so. I'm happy to be wrong, but I won't be surprised if lots of WA/SA players prove to have gone 2 rounds earlier than they would in a normal draft.
2 rounds? That's a minimum of 36 spots, no way that's anything even close to the mark.

No way players like Brayden Cook, Caleb Poulter or Nathan O'Driscoll go 2 rounds later than they did for example.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would have thought the point is that due to no u18 vic footy there's likely to be a few kids who went undrafted that would have jumped up the order had a season gone again. And yet we seem to be half committed to a guy that had every opportunity to be drafted by 17 other clubs last year but wasn't.

I have a general feeling of being underwhelmed. When a 3rd attempt small forward goes in the 30s, it's hard to think much of the draft after the first round or so. I'm happy to be wrong, but I won't be surprised if lots of WA/SA players prove to have gone 2 rounds earlier than they would in a normal draft.

agree about keeping a spot open. Don’t agree that any club has taken players “too early”... you play the hand you’ve been dealt. Can’t take a revisionist attitude to the covid draft.

But logic does suggest there are a lot of Victorian kids from this draft year that have gone undrafted. But that may be kids like Poholke and Signarello, who may have had the bias in their favour in a normal year. Will be interesting to see if a future superstar got overlooked.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
agree about keeping a spot open. Don’t agree that any club has taken players “too early”... you play the hand you’ve been dealt. Can’t take a revisionist attitude to the covid draft.

But logic does suggest there are a lot of Victorian kids from this draft year that have gone undrafted. But that may be kids like Poholke and Signarello, who may have had the bias in their favour in a normal year. Will be interesting to see if a future superstar got overlooked.
The 2nd bit is spot on. Vic kids still got drafted despite no footy being played. The kids with little exposed form got hurt, but thats a minority

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

I think the WA and SANFL kids are drafted around the right number - it's the Victorian kids that could be in odd spots.

You could argue the WA and SA kids are drafted early if there was a LACK of Victorians drafted, but there seemed to be the normal number of Vics selected. The question is - were they the right ones?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Seems madness to use our last spot on two players who don’t seem that promising or a need when we could wait and see how the Vic boys shape up.
Can still do that.

Can't see us not having 1 LTI during the season

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Is that how it works?

But can you see either of these players playing this year when we’ve got so many ahead of them? Or they’ll be long term players?
It's an area of little tested depth IMO. Taylor does intrigue me and it's fair to say he didn't get a good crack at it this year. Murray looks a solid type but doesn't have the same scope for improvement TBH.

I'm thinking we'll wait for the Vic kids to start playing again and then make a decision if/when we get injuries

Is that how it works?

But can you see either of these players playing this year when we’ve got so many ahead of them? Or they’ll be long term players?

Murray definitely does not seem like a long term proposition. He just seems like he'll be in competition with Borlase to see who'd be on our list the longest before being delisted.

Taylor certainly has a shot though. 191 cm, super quick and agile and came in as a raw prospect. Certainly is enough there tool to be a very good half back flanker/winger and we are probably in need of one more of that type floating around our best 22, especially if we think that outside midfield is just a stepping stone for any of Hamill, Milera or Sholl. Very unlucky to be delisted, but in that it could be assumed he didn't improve as much as we were expecting. I'd be comfortable giving him another year though.

I will say, I'm surprised we don't seem like going for another inside midfielder with this. Though outside midfield is certainly an area which can use reinforcement.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Murray definitely does not seem like a long term proposition. He just seems like he'll be in competition with Borlase to see who'd be on our list the longest before being delisted.

Taylor certainly has a shot though. 191 cm, super quick and agile and came in as a raw prospect. Certainly is enough there tool to be a very good half back flanker/winger and we are probably in need of one more of that type floating around our best 22, especially if we think that outside midfield is just a stepping stone for any of Hamill, Milera or Sholl. Very unlucky to be delisted, but in that it could be assumed he didn't improve as much as we were expecting. I'd be comfortable giving him another year though.

I will say, I'm surprised we didn't go for another inside midfielder with this. Though outside midfield is certainly an area which can use reinforcement.
We drafted and traded for inside mids, I thought we might have gone outside mid with this pick.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

I will say, I'm surprised we don't seem like going for another inside midfielder with this. Though outside midfield is certainly an area which can use reinforcement.
The fact we had Taylor and they still cut him says enough for me.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
So obviously we don’t rate him that highly, especially considering we haven’t chosen him yet, so I go back to my original point, why bother? Why not wait to see what’s left over from last years crop.
Jumping the gun here...the 2 players in question are just training with the group with no guarantee they'll be picked up. Clearly our recruiters rate both players and just want a further look at Taylor and to have a look at Murray up against some of our listed players in match simulation trials.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So obviously we don’t rate him that highly, especially considering we haven’t chosen him yet, so I go back to my original point, why bother? Why not wait to see what’s left over from last years crop.
We knew we'd get him later on

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We knew we'd get him later on
We haven’t chosen him yet! We chose an ageing player for a season over him. We obviously are unsure of his quality, hence why bother.

I feel like we are going around in circles. I can’t be any clearer than that.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We haven’t chosen him yet! We chose an ageing player for a season over him. We obviously are unsure of his quality, hence why bother.

I feel like we are going around in circles. I can’t be any clearer than that.
I'm not sure why you're so hot on this ??

You're making an issue out of nothing

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm not sure why you're so hot on this ??

You're making an issue out of nothing
FFS, is this your go to position? Keep debating a point, drag on the convo and then query why I’m so hot on it even though you won’t let it go?

My point hasn’t changed, it’s just that I’ve had to keep explaining it to you.

And a list spot ain’t nothing.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
FFS, is this your go to position? Keep debating a point, drag on the convo and then query why I’m so hot on it even though you won’t let it go?

My point hasn’t changed, it’s just that I’ve had to keep explaining it to you.

And a list spot ain’t nothing.
It's a spot on a rookie list, it's of minor consequence. We're likely to chose one of the 2.

You just get wound up so easily EC.

Back