Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
SSP is a free for all until early March.

MSD is reverse ladder order after 4, 8 and 12 rounds respectively.

If we get a soft draw in the first four rounds we could end up with the last pick in that first draft.. not sure a month of footy is really going to change that much.
reverse ladder order? that makes no sense

Surely the clubs struggling need the best talent to help them climb as quick as possible (How the ND acts)

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
SSP is a free for all until early March.

MSD is reverse ladder order after 4, 8 and 12 rounds respectively.

If we get a soft draw in the first four rounds we could end up with the last pick in that first draft.. not sure a month of footy is really going to change that much.
There's only gonna be one MSD in June next year.

reverse ladder order? that makes no sense

Surely the clubs struggling need the best talent to help them climb as quick as possible (How the ND acts)
...That's what reverse ladder order means. Team that finishes 18th gets Pick 1, team that finish 1st gets Pick 18. It would be the other way if it wasn't reverse ladder order.

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
To clarify, don't we get two more spots on the list? One current blank and a second if Mozzie goes onto the LTI list?

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
I take it our interest in kyle dunkley was fake news given he isn't training with us? I don't like the idea of guilt tripping Josh Dunkley by saying we're looking at his brother when we never really were.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
I take it our interest in kyle dunkley was fake news given he isn't training with us? I don't like the idea of guilt tripping Josh Dunkley by saying we're looking at his brother when we never really were.

Why wouldn't we just sign him to our VFL team? And then if he actually performs well you take him MSD if he will fill a need.

Then you can have 3 months of training before you have to make any decision on him and not based on a preseason where we know he'd likely be trying to perform out of his skin so we SSP him before March

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
Why wouldn't we just sign him to our VFL team? And then if he actually performs well you take him MSD if he will fill a need.

Then you can have 3 months of training before you have to make any decision on him and not based on a preseason where we know he'd likely be trying to perform out of his skin so we SSP him before March
And if that was intended from the start then that's fine, but I got the impression we marketed an afl spot for Kyle if Josh signed with us. I could be wrong. But if I'm not and that's how it was advertised to Josh then that's poor form by essendon.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
And if that was intended from the start then that's fine, but I got the impression we marketed an afl spot for Kyle if Josh signed with us. I could be wrong. But if I'm not and that's how it was advertised to Josh then that's poor form by essendon.

so it’s poor form by Essendon to potentially have a hypothetical conversation which may or may not have upset josh or Kyle.

🤔...... it doesn’t take much for some

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

I don't think it was as fake as it was manipulative/creative/opportunistic.

It's pretty embarrassing for Kyle and I don't like it either. Certainly not the public element.

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

If they promised to take him, then it's not a great look to be going back on their word. One SSP selection isn't going to hurt for a player we could use.

You can target the 19yo vic kids in the SSP also. Invite them to training so you can have a look.

Reckon it's better to gauge the talents of the 19 year olds under match conditions, rather than in simulated conditions.

Reckon it's better to gauge the talents of the 19 year olds under match conditions, rather than in simulated conditions.
Why not both?

There is nothing stopping us from taking a look at a couple of kids, choosing to pass on them for the time being, then taking them mid season if they perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have anyone training with us outside of the 43 players on the list as far as I'm aware. It could be that he and a few others will join after Christmas and they'll decide between then and the season starting as to whom gets a spot on the list

We don't have anyone training with us outside of the 43 players on the list as far as I'm aware. It could be that he and a few others will join after Christmas and they'll decide between then and the season starting as to whom gets a spot on the list
Are we allowed to have outsiders train?

Are we allowed to have outsiders train?
I believe so, but I think there were maybe 4 or 5 sessions between the draft and the players time off over Christmas. Usually it's closer to 10, so maybe they just decided to let the guys they invited (whether or not Dunkley was part of it) to pick up after Christmas. But that's just speculation, I don't think I've seen anything to suggest we have any players joining in training

I’d hope we pick up and develop kids rather than recycle mature guys like Potters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume you mean Pittard?

For me it depends who the mature aged guy is. If it's someone between 21 and 25 and couldn't develop in the AFL for their old side for whatever reason, I'd go after them. I also wouldn't mind getting someone in that age bracket that's a ruckman, whether that be Oliver Eastland, Daniel Fahey-Sparks or whomever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back