Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see If Sam Flanders , Sharp and McLennan all request trade , Cameron and recruiters team should get a F for their recruiters skill . Move up or trade future pick for all these players .

Last edited:
Hey guys & girls. I hope it's ok I post in here.

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we kicked off our 2020 club reviews discussing the Gold Coast Suns.

From the 19.45min we talk about the year the Suns had.
Give us a listen if you have a spare 15mins. Hope you enjoy it.

GOLD COAST @ 19.45min
- Rowell + Anderson already the best 2 mids at club
- Greenwood + Ellis add leadership
- Competitive & no blow outs, but tailed off after 3-1 start
- Collins cements himself as no.1 back
- Rankine needs a bigger tank to stay more involved
- Brodie + Ainsworth disappoint again

Thanks for posting, I'll have a listen today.
My first thoughts from your little run down - I think you got it a bit wrong with Ainsworth.

The guy had his best year to date.
(Adjusted for shortened game time)
- Most kicks, marks, possessions, scoring shots, inside 50's, metres gained, score involvements.

He finished with the 8th most coaches votes amongst our playing list, was best on ground against North Melbourne

Most importantly, it is the first season he has played the whole year (16/17 games) after missing 40% of matches from his first 3 seasons.

He really needs to improve his finishing around goal (multiple scoring shots in 10/16 games this year but only kicked multiple goals twice)
His disposal efficiency is not great either.

In 4 wins he played in this year he was very good.

- 16 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals vs. West Coast
- 17 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles 1 goal, 2 behinds vs. Adelaide
- 12 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals vs. Fremantle
- 23 disposals, 11 marks, 9 inside 50's, 1 goal, 2 goal assists vs. North Melbourne.

I reckon on the back of another pre-season and some continuity and the team continuing to improve we'll see him really take a step up next year.

Overall, I was pretty happy with his year.

Thanks for posting, I'll have a listen today.
My first thoughts from your little run down - I think you got it a bit wrong with Ainsworth.

The guy had his best year to date.
(Adjusted for shortened game time)
- Most kicks, marks, possessions, scoring shots, inside 50's, metres gained, score involvements.

He finished with the 8th most coaches votes amongst our playing list, was best on ground against North Melbourne

Most importantly, it is the first season he has played the whole year (16/17 games) after missing 40% of matches from his first 3 seasons.

He really needs to improve his finishing around goal (multiple scoring shots in 10/16 games this year but only kicked multiple goals twice)
His disposal efficiency is not great either.

In 4 wins he played in this year he was very good.

- 16 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals vs. West Coast
- 17 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles 1 goal, 2 behinds vs. Adelaide
- 12 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals vs. Fremantle
- 23 disposals, 11 marks, 9 inside 50's, 1 goal, 2 goal assists vs. North Melbourne.

I reckon on the back of another pre-season and some continuity and the team continuing to improve we'll see him really take a step up next year.

Overall, I was pretty happy with his year.
Thanks for the response.

I was perhaps a bit harsh on Ainsworth and yeah he did have a good year. I just rate him highly and have high expectations of him.

I think he as AA potential. He killed us (North) in that game. Hope he has a big 2021.

Thanks for the response.

I was perhaps a bit harsh on Ainsworth and yeah he did have a good year. I just rate him highly and have high expectations of him.

I think he as AA potential. He killed us (North) in that game. Hope he has a big 2021.
I listened to the pod.
You guys didn’t really put him down too much. Thought the commentary was reasonable around him actually fine.

Thought most of the assessment was decent otherwise.

I would add wil Powell ‘earning a pay rise’. Really cemented himself as a best 22 player. I’d put Sam day in the ‘needs a big year’ after we black booked wright, he needs to perform.

didn’t like the harbrow beat 22 call! Don’t think he’ll play many games this year. More so a mentor for rankine,rosas, farrar and probably a reserves on field coach.

also don’t think swallow has the capability of getting near the heights you were asking. His body is broken.

overall thought you did a respectable job . Knew more than rowell, rankine and Ben king so that’s more than most opposition fans!

I listened to the pod.
You guys didn’t really put him down too much. Thought the commentary was reasonable around him actually fine.

Thought most of the assessment was decent otherwise.

I would add wil Powell ‘earning a pay rise’. Really cemented himself as a best 22 player. I’d put Sam day in the ‘needs a big year’ after we black booked wright, he needs to perform.

didn’t like the harbrow beat 22 call! Don’t think he’ll play many games this year. More so a mentor for rankine,rosas, farrar and probably a reserves on field coach.

also don’t think swallow has the capability of getting near the heights you were asking. His body is broken.

overall thought you did a respectable job . Knew more than rowell, rankine and Ben king so that’s more than most opposition fans!
Thank you for the feedback. Very constructive which we appreciate.

Agree with Wil Powell. He'll be a fine player.

Good point with Swallow's injuries. I guess it's something AFL fans overlook. I do have a soft spot for him as a North fan so hopefully see him have a good 2021.

Thank you for the feedback. Very constructive which we appreciate.

Agree with Wil Powell. He'll be a fine player.

Good point with Swallow's injuries. I guess it's something AFL fans overlook. I do have a soft spot for him as a North fan so hopefully see him have a good 2021.
From my perspective was nice to see both swallow boys end up at gcs after years of hearing the David to nm calls.

Gold Coast outlook: Why Suns should play it safe with Elijah Hollands and Matt Rowell
Nick Smart, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
January 3, 2021 5:00am

As a team, their pressure was off the charts.
Despite finishing 14th, they were ranked No. 5 for pressure.

Although, the Suns need to improve their turnover game.
They conceded the sixth-most points from a turnover and rank 12th for points scored from turnovers this year.

Too many of their players hack the pill and they need to find some good ball users.

CHAMPION DATA SAYS
Good: The Suns won the clearance count by two a game in 2020 – ranked fourth and up from No. 14 in 2019.

Bad: In six of their 10 years they have ranked in the bottom-two sides for kicking efficiency. In 2020, they recorded a kicking efficiency of 60 per cent – ranked 18th.

BEST 22 FOR NEXT SEASON
B: Jack Bowes, Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Oleg Markov, Charlie Ballard, Connor Budarick
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Rory Atkins
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, David Swallow
F: Izak Rankine, Ben King, Alex Sexton
R: Jarrod Witts, Matt Rowell, Lachie Weller

Int: Wil Powell, Noah Anderson, Touk Miller, Sam Flanders

Sources say Shaw is now in good health and is looking forward to relocating to Queensland to continue his coaching career, working with the talented Suns list.

Gold Coast are also bullish about his appointment, having spent the end of last year exploring ways to get Shaw on board.

He will once again work alongside senior coach Stuart Dew. The pair worked together at the Sydney Swans where Dew was an assistant, before joining the Gold Coast, and Shaw played before he began his coaching career as a development coach at the Swans. They have great respect for each other, with Suns sources expressing confidence the highly regarded Shaw will flourish in their environment and be an excellent resource for their players.

Shaw will be involved in developing young players such as Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Izak Rankine, Ben King, Jack Lukosius, Elijah Hollands, Will Powell, Charlie Ballard, Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey, to help the club make the finals for the first time.

He has a great reputation in development, indicating that was where he wanted to head when he parted ways with the Kangaroos.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw is a phenomenonal appointment. Every club in the league would have been looking at him as a player development guy. That's what he is amazing at. Builds awesome relationships with players and gets the best out of them.

This is one I'm really excited about.

Shaw is a phenomenonal appointment. Every club in the league would have been looking at him as a player development guy. That's what he is amazing at. Builds awesome relationships with players and gets the best out of them.

This is one I'm really excited about.

You are right to be very excited. Shaw did brilliant work with young guys of ours like Ben McKay, Curtis Taylor and Kyron Hayden.

Also helped talented older blokes who hadn't quite delivered on their promise like Luke McDonald, who credited his BnF this year to Shawry.

Brilliant move for the club and as a person by Dew.

Kudos Suns. You've pulled off a masterstroke here.

Just mean in terms of didn't see this coming in the slightest, really thought Shaw wasn't going to come back to footy
Yeah I thought this one was outta left field also with him coming back to footy.

After hearing the wraps on him as a player development guy I'm extremely excited for this appointment

Yeah I thought this one was outta left field also with him coming back to footy.

After hearing the wraps on him as a player development guy I'm extremely excited for this appointment
Exactly, power to him and I hope he goes well but it just feels weird seeing him back so soon. After what I heard he was incredibly burnt out and needed a big chunk of time away from footy

I wonder who will be our VFL coach? Sometimes they get the head of development to coach that too? Maybe Shaw might pick up those reigns too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back