The football video games thread

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
I've picked up a pretty good challenge in FM.
I've taken over bottom of the table Forfar in Scotland's lowest playable tier with six games left.
These a couple of surprising things about them that excites me with the challenge.
They have a 7,000 capacity stadium which is pretty big for this level which helps if I jump up the leagues.
For some reason they also have very good financials and have around 1.2m in the bank which is staggering at that level.
The club is spending $100k under it's wage budget and has a transfer budget of $200k which is huge money for this level.
If i can keep them up I'm pretty confident that i can gain promotion on first time of asking.

So when I joined I was 2pts, 3pts & 4pts off 7-9 which showed how tight things were in the relegation battle.
Started with a loss against local rivals and then a last min win against league leaders had some momentum go my way.
In the first 5 games i had 2W, 1D and 2L which isn't too bad for a last placed side but i was still last with the final game left.
Was on top of the team but couldn't produce any worthy chances and at 0-0 was still going to go down.
Finally broke through in the 60 min and had the sealer 80 mins in to secure safety.
Following other results i shot right up to 7th which shows how tight things were.

Looking forward to an off season of recruitment and a promotion challenge.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I've picked up a pretty good challenge in FM.
I've taken over bottom of the table Forfar in Scotland's lowest playable tier with six games left.
These a couple of surprising things about them that excites me with the challenge.
They have a 7,000 capacity stadium which is pretty big for this level which helps if I jump up the leagues.
For some reason they also have very good financials and have around 1.2m in the bank which is staggering at that level.
The club is spending $100k under it's wage budget and has a transfer budget of $200k which is huge money for this level.
If i can keep them up I'm pretty confident that i can gain promotion on first time of asking.

So when I joined I was 2pts, 3pts & 4pts off 7-9 which showed how tight things were in the relegation battle.
Started with a loss against local rivals and then a last min win against league leaders had some momentum go my way.
In the first 5 games i had 2W, 1D and 2L which isn't too bad for a last placed side but i was still last with the final game left.
Was on top of the team but couldn't produce any worthy chances and at 0-0 was still going to go down.
Finally broke through in the 60 min and had the sealer 80 mins in to secure safety.
Following other results i shot right up to 7th which shows how tight things were.

Looking forward to an off season of recruitment and a promotion challenge.
Let us know how you go.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just want to remind everyone that FM match engine still cheats whenever it feels like it and there's literally nothing you can do about it.

12 shots on target, 8 goals.

6 goals from first 6 shots.

******* cheating game.png

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just want to remind everyone that FM match engine still cheats whenever it feels like it and there's literally nothing you can do about it.

12 shots on target, 8 goals.

6 goals from first 6 shots.

View attachment 1034935
I was playing Watford.

27/12 to 3/2.

I drew 2-2. Raged quit and restarted cos I wasn't copping that s**t. The Watford keeper is Superman whenever I play them.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Let us know how you go.

So far, so good.
Signed a couple of quality strikers, GK and CM's that my scouts are saying they are as good as the tier above.
Also I'm pretty decent at being a tightass and signing loan's with 0% wage contribution so I've got some decent CB's and a RM.
I seem to be 'that' team that even when your not playing at your best you still someone get a result or a last min winner.
My advanced striker is killing it, he's scoring a goal a game but I'm a little worried, generally when a player really takes the piss he either gets injured or loses form, kind of like a way the game tries to correct itself.

I'm currently sitting 13W, 6D and 3L and 6 points clear of second.
I've actually lost the last 3 in a row so it was pretty cool to be 19 games undefeated in the league.
The first of the losses came against the weaker teams in the league, I rotated the squad to give some of the fringe players a start as they were startting to sook. Unfortunately they've been pretty mediocre and it's halted our awesome form.

Will keep you posted if we can get back to our winning ways.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Some of my regens

1.2m (buyout), absolute steal.

1609739449215.png

42m with add ons. Looks the goods.

1609739494145.png

Backup for Haaland. Cost me 51m including add ons. Only 19 so plenty ahead of him.

1609739524495.png

70m from Vigo. More than happy to pay that given he is English too

1609739547767.png

Only 16, pumping plenty of minutes into him with the U23 and U18 teams. Training with the senior team and given the occasional run in the first team.

1609739591767.png

Youth product, really happy as I needed a backup RB. Good replacement for Bellerin long term.

1609739623815.png

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Some of my regens

1.2m (buyout), absolute steal.

View attachment 1035487

42m with add ons. Looks the goods.

View attachment 1035489

Backup for Haaland. Cost me 51m including add ons. Only 19 so plenty ahead of him.

View attachment 1035491

70m from Vigo. More than happy to pay that given he is English too

View attachment 1035492

Only 16, pumping plenty of minutes into him with the U23 and U18 teams. Training with the senior team and given the occasional run in the first team.

View attachment 1035493

Youth product, really happy as I needed a backup RB. Good replacement for Bellerin long term.

View attachment 1035494
160m on youth intakes signings? Or were they already established elsewhere.

What season are you up to?

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
160m on youth intakes signings? Or were they already established elsewhere.

What season are you up to?
I bought them all.

Pires from Lisbon (they have a stupid amount of excellent regens), Milton from Vigo, Tetteh from Porto, Pena from Atletico. Black and Brewster are youth intake products.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I bought them all.

Pires from Lisbon (they have a stupid amount of excellent regens), Milton from Vigo, Tetteh from Porto, Pena from Atletico. Black and Brewster are youth intake products.
Yeah I mean straight from their youth intakes or were they a few seasons into their careers?

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Determination is the big one I look for in any player.

It means they want to be better, want to improve, so if they have half decent stats but like 18-20 determination, I always try to bring them in as I think their ceiling will be high.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Determination is the big one I look for in any player.

It means they want to be better, want to improve, so if they have half decent stats but like 18-20 determination, I always try to bring them in as I think their ceiling will be high.
Yeah that and personality traits are key

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Only just got the job done with my promotion in Scotland's botton tier.
I faltered a little after Jan and picked up a number of draws.
With a couple of games to go I lost the top of the table clash for them to be within 3 pts of me and thought I might bottle it.
Ended up getting promoted as champions with a comfortable few wins to end the season which was a solid achievement.

This was probably the first EVER FM season where I had a scarce number of injuries which was pretty bizarre considering it's still 36 game league season plus 10 odd cup games. In the end my large squad wasn't exactly required (lots of fringe players on low wages).
One of the highlights of the season was a very strong run in the Scottish Cup. I knocked out 2 teams in the championship & League 1 which were both backs to the wall jobs. Ended up making the last 8 and hosted Dundee. Played defensively and survived right up until the 90th min when the pressure finally caved in, they were knocking on the door. Would've been good to get a replay and extra gate receipts but no complaints with the loss in the end.

Highlight of my season was my striker having a huge return.
33 League appearances for 28 goals and 4 assists.
10 cup games for 8 goals and 2 assists.

Now the silly season, I always put a ton of work in for the off season and pride myself on nabbing bargains.
Going up a tier I can already tell i'm lacking quality at CB and GK so i hope my scouts can find some gems out there...

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Back to back promotions for Forfar! I'm now in the Scottish Championship with some reasonable players to compete against.
It was neck and neck with Raith Rovers and with 78 points I was able to win direct promotion with a slight 4 point gap over my rivals.
My standout was a Celtic target man who had 19 goals, 11 assists in 30 apps for a 7.44 average rating.
Throw in 8 apps in cups for 5 goals and 5 assists and you can see why he won fans player of the year.

Highlight of the cup was again a solid showing in the Scottish Cup.
I beat a few sides around the same leagues early days but hosted Dundee Utd in the 5th round.
Having 5,000 attend at home was a big deal and we were stiff to have them equalise in the 83rd min to earn a replay.
The replay itself was what FM was about. The 11,000 boisterous home fans didn't intimidate my lads and although they had far more opportunities I hung on to bring it to ET at 1-1. At the end we conceded a whopping 29 shots on goal but they only had 8 on target whereas our counter attacking style had us with 9 shots with 3 on target with 49% possession.
My 16 year hot prospect who i poached off Queens Park's youth team came off the bench to score a dramatic 2-1 victory in the 116th min to shock the competition and show this side i've built means business.
Sadly my cup ended in the Qtr finals with a 2-0 home loss to Kilmarnock but I'm proud to juggle league and cup journeys with success.

Due to injuries this kid has 6 starts with 5 off the bench for 6 goals and 2 assists so I've got some talent on my books which will hopefully grow.

For the championship we are still part timers meaning all my contracts are part time compared to my rivals such as St Mirren, Partick Thistle, Motherwell who are all full timers and will have far considerable budgets.
I love being a tightass on the game so tbh I'm thoroughly going to enjoy hopefully consolidating this side in the championship before I have a crack at promotion in 12 months time.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
I've just had one of those * yeah moments in the my Scottish Championship season.

I don't even know how I scouted this guy as I can only scout within Scotland but somehow a free agent from Georgia came up on my scouting feed.
The scouts came back saying he's 2.5 star but had high potential. Being only 19 and having a good track record at Dinamo Tbilisi meant he would be solid (68 apps for 32 goals and 10 assists) and somehow I signed him for $5k per year for a 3 year deal. 6 months in talk about a bargain!

Anyway some of my more AF's were underperforming and this guy was solid in the cup ties I played him in against lesser opposition so i threw him in the deep end. He was getting 7+ ratings and assisting my target man so i've kept him in the side for 4 or so straight games.
We just played the top of the table Motherwell and he torched them with 5 goals within 48 mins for a very rare 10/10 performance.

Even better I've know signed another CB from Dinamo Tbilisi (18yrs) who had 6 months of his contract and is 3.5 star with high potential for $45k on a 3 year deal for $35k per season.

Talk about finding some obscure gems :hearteyes:

Back