List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Understand that td, why they did it this year, and l agree with it. We could have done the same a few years ago as well which was my point, and be team wise in a better position. With a few player already gone from the list.

Maybe but had a Lesser Hand at the Trade Table with Trading out a Future 1st Round Pick

Though in the 2017 Draft year before the Future Picks Trade During Draft Started.

Hine said they where Pretending what we would of Done to Move Up in the Draft to get Nathan Murphy after Drafting Stephenson

Though in the 2017 Draft year before the Future Picks Trade During Draft Started.

Hine said they where Pretending what we would of Done to Move Up in the Draft to get Nathan Murphy after Drafting Stephenson
Yes, not be able on draft night, but still could have during the trade time.
That draft could have been so much more for us

Maybe but had a Lesser Hand at the Trade Table with Trading out a Future 1st Round Pick
The first we did use for the painter, in a strong draft, could have got us a good deal in a so called weak year.

I got your point. I just think it’s a dumb thing to say when its very clear that the club has already heavily gone down the youth path this off season. Whether or not we need a new coach remains to be seen and will likely be answered this year, but the crap about ‘oh Buckley is gonna recruit guys like Wood to try and save his job’ is ridiculous to the extreme. A quarter of the list now is filled with draftees from 2019/20. Even if we did recruit an experienced player now (which is unlikely), it would have nothing to do with Buckley saving his job and everything to do with basic list balance.
Can someone block Apex for making too much sense?

Just re-read some of the melts from the end of the trade period--especially when not just fans but even the pundits out there were sinking the boots in that we had no good draft collateral despite the club's insistence of heading into the draft.
When the dust finally settled we walked away with 3 x first round picks, 5 x picks inside 31 and 6 by the time 44 came around.
Not to mention just about enough points to land our father son prospect next year in first round too making that another top quality prospect on the books.

It's amazing how differently things can look when you assess at the conclusion of the entire off season period, not just one avenue in trade week.

Last edited:
Just re-read some of the melts from the end of the trade period--especially when not just fans but even the pundits out there were sinking the boots in that we had no good draft collateral despite the club's insistence of heading into the draft.
When the dust finally settled we walked away with 3 x first round picks, 5 x picks inside 31 and 6 by the time 44 came around.
Not to mention just about enough points to land our father son prospect next year in first round too making that another top quality prospect on the books.

It's amazing how differently things can look when assesses at the conclusion of the entire off season period, not just one avenue in trade week.

Still bloody Pissed how Bad our Trade Period was and how badly we treated Stepho and Treloar.

The Draft made sure it was not a Complete and Utter Disaster as give us a bit hope for the Future

Still bloody Pissed how Bad our Trade Period was and how badly we treated Stepho and Treloar.

The Draft made sure it was not a Complete and Utter Disaster as give us a bit hope for the Future

For once, we stuck to a plan and executed it.
Irrespective of how everyone's emotions were and what the media PR was going to be.
It required balls and the gentlemen who executed it, deserve some credit, especially since they took all the hits that came their way.

It's amazing how differently things can look when assesses at the conclusion of the entire off season period, not just one avenue in trade week.
Mutually exclusive HFF

i) Fans weren't disappointed so much about losing the players that we did, it was the return we received, particularly in light of the price paid for them

On the flip side, fans were very happy regarding the draft haul in regard to the hand that we had
- this hand was also assisted by the lack of a bid on Reef (and this would have taken "cost" us Henry and Macrae)...we were lucky, this wasn't good governance.
- A strong trading period with "proper" return on assets sold may also have meant that we still had our 2021 1st rounder to trade into 2022.

We all hope that the players selected become top-line talent that takes us towards our next flag but this in no way resolves our trading process (net) nor the twisted "truths" that the club presented before, during, and worst of all, after the trade period.
This will still be the case even if we land a game-winning KPF or top-line free agent at the end of 2021.

For once, we stuck to a plan and executed it.
Irrespective of how everyone's emotions were and what the media PR was going to be.
It required balls and the gentlemen who executed it, deserve some credit, especially since they took all the hits that came their way.
probably repeating my previous post but the plan was sound -and I think if you read the posts from the time, I believe (?) the majority of posters accepted the need to trade out these players for cap etc reasons
I don't think the execution showed success at the time - the picks received is even worse compared to the $$ we still pay for Treloar

Mutually exclusive HFF

i) Fans weren't disappointed so much about losing the players that we did, it was the return we received, particularly in light of the price paid for them

On the flip side, fans were very happy regarding the draft haul in regard to the hand that we had
- this hand was also assisted by the lack of a bid on Reef (and this would have taken "cost" us Henry and Macrae)...we were lucky, this wasn't good governance.
- A strong trading period with "proper" return on assets sold may also have meant that we still had our 2021 1st rounder to trade into 2022.

We all hope that the players selected become top-line talent that takes us towards our next flag but this in no way resolves our trading process (net) nor the twisted "truths" that the club presented before, during, and worst of all, after the trade period.
This will still be the case even if we land a game-winning KPF or top-line free agent at the end of 2021.

You can't always get a"good return" on assets sold.
Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet---and this is what we did.
No point holding onto assets because of a lack of a good offer---especially when there's more to each layer of those departing assets than just "a return".

The "twisted truths" all clubs do it---this is part and parcel of life not just exclusive to Collingwood.
The members at the appropriate time received some of the answers they were seeking from the club--we just chose not to do this in media public forums, rather in our own controlled environments.

On a whole, when i assess things in totality, I have no issues with the work we have done, even if it doesnt sit well ethically to a degree for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't always get a"good return" on assets sold.
Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet---and this is what we did.
No point holding onto assets because of a lack of a good offer---especially when there's more to each layer of those departing assets than just "a return".

The "twisted truths" all clubs do it---this is part and parcel of life not just exclusive to Collingwood.
The members at the appropriate time received some of the answers they were seeking from the club--we just chose not to do this in media public forums, rather in our own controlled environments.

On a whole, when i assess things in totality, I have no issues with the work we have done, even if it doesnt sit well ethically to a degree for some.
Fair call and I respect your POV

For mine, the “answers” after period still didn’t address my main concerns and I tend to look more at the process

However, I am excited about watching our draftees develop

Mutually exclusive HFF

We gave Stephenson Away and got a Low 1st Round Pick for Treloar and Traded the North Picks to Dogs in Treloar.

So we Basically Traded both for Pick 14 which is way below Value

probably repeating my previous post but the plan was sound -and I think if you read the posts from the time, I believe (?) the majority of posters accepted the need to trade out these players for cap etc reasons
I don't think the execution showed success at the time - the picks received is even worse compared to the $$ we still pay for Treloar
Hang on
The dissapointing aspect is we didn't at least keep Stephenson and trade/delist other players.....like thomas Hoskin elliott even Jaime Elliott....Greenwood mayne ...its been done to death....gee whiz everyone happy we got all these kids....thats good ....but stephenson should of been the cherry on top and whats more a proven player.....geez next year im gonna vomit when he lights it up

Hang on
The dissapointing aspect is we didn't at least keep Stephenson and trade/delist other players.....like thomas Hoskin elliott even Jaime Elliott....Greenwood mayne ...its been done to death....gee whiz everyone happy we got all these kids....thats good ....but stephenson should of been the cherry on top and whats more a proven player.....geez next year im gonna vomit when he lights it up

Agree Stepho will make us Regret getting Rid of Him

We gave Stephenson Away and got a Low 1st Round Pick for Treloar and Traded the North Picks to Dogs in Treloar.

So we Basically Traded both for Pick 14 which is way below Value

Yes, we received under value but it would have been even worse holding onto assets we no longer wanted to carry.
Salary cap space is just as equally important as any pick compensation and this will become an even bigger focus for the entire industry as the off season continues to evolve.
It's just never been done so ruthlessly and at once by anyone before.

Hang on
I love how Stevo changed us in 2018
He may light it up, he may not - he did have the speed we lack
I don’t know the full story of why he was shown the door but they must have felt the club was much better off with him somewhere else

Not sure how many of us feel this way but I’ll trade anyone for the right price if it doesn’t ruin the fabric of the team
Regardless of the issues at the club, I don’t think we got anywhere near Stevo’s value and I’m not sure how that process got messed up
Internally, if they thought he had to go, fine, but our process should have facilitated a better return

Stevo should have gotten us a crack at Mcdonald.

No doubt Plan A for the club was trading Stevo for pick 2 and Treloar for pick 5 to GC.

McDonald and Phillips.

Plan A obviously failed.

That was never the plan when we knew we just wanted these players out the door with no chance of them returning.

That was never the plan when we knew we just wanted these players out the door with no chance of them returning.

We put ourselves in that position.

Don’t think for a minute that the club didn’t think that they could get maximum value out of those two.

Treloar, yep they wanted to move him on for obvious reasons, but GC pick 5 was the goal.

We put ourselves in that position.

Don’t think for a minute that the club didn’t think that they could get maximum value out of those two.

Treloar, yep they wanted to move him on for obvious reasons, but GC pick 5 was the goal.

They're realists at the end of the day not dreamers.
Once Treloar didn't want to move interstate it was a matter of "to who" as opposed to "for what".

Hang on
While I’m as disappointed as anyone in the way we shunted out Stephenson, I think that we need to accept that there were things going on behind the scenes that the public aren’t privy to. As a general rule the club has always stuck by its players, even through major indescretions. Swan, Didak, Williams, DeGoey Beams, etc. There’s a long list of players who have gotten themselves in to serious strife and the club has alway supported them. To me, the fact we were so willing to push him out signals that there was a major breakdown in the relationship between Stephenson and the club/coaches/playing group, even if Jaidyn himself seemed oblivious to it. I hate that we got next to nothing for such a talented player, but on reflection it may be better for everyone that he’s not at Collingwood anymore.

It's amazing how differently things can look when you assess at the conclusion of the entire off season period, not just one avenue in trade week.
Got peanuts back for our trades due to mismanagement. That’s something the club was too scared to answer at the members’ forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back