VFL/East Coast Competition Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The VFL and NEAFL are set to join forces in the new, unnamed reserves competition. The new competition will include 22 reserve, affiliated and stand alone clubs across the eastern states. Post comp info, logistics, discussion and player updates in this thread.

I think this is a good thing for the northern states clubs. 22 teams is good but did i read somewhere there are only 16 rounds? Why would you only play 16 rounds when you could pretty much match the afl season and have each team playing once.

I think this is a good thing for the northern states clubs. 22 teams is good but did i read somewhere there are only 16 rounds? Why would you only play 16 rounds when you could pretty much match the afl season and have each team playing once.

At this rate, I cannot see GWS and Sydney playing as the Rona is going to get out of control in Sydney itself.

The VFL and NEAFL are set to join forces in the new, unnamed reserves competition. The new competition will include 22 reserve, affiliated and stand alone clubs across the eastern states. Post comp info, logistics, discussion and player updates in this thread.

Are there any details yet: teams, list sizes, a FIXture (it will be a FIX).

It would be nice to know the budget & if it helps footy more generally or is an east coast AFL reserves comp that services the AFL clubs.
Just transparency, maybe I missed it?

Are there any details yet: teams, list sizes, a FIXture (it will be a FIX).

It would be nice to know the budget & if it helps footy more generally or is an east coast AFL reserves comp that services the AFL clubs.
Just transparency, maybe I missed it?

The only reason it exists is because the four northern AFL clubs whinged that the NEAFL wasn’t strong enough for their purposes.

It’s generally no change for the Vic clubs, just the annoyance and inconvenience of travel where required, which obviously wasn’t the case with the VFL.

Personally I think putting resources into the NEAFL to improve it would’ve been the better option. With increases in junior numbers in NSW and Qld you’re probably looking at a fair bit of natural improvement over the next decade anyway.

The only reason it exists is because the four northern AFL clubs whinged that the NEAFL wasn’t strong enough for their purposes.

It’s generally no change for the Vic clubs, just the annoyance and inconvenience of travel where required, which obviously wasn’t the case with the VFL.

Personally I think putting resources into the NEAFL to improve it would’ve been the better option. With increases in junior numbers in NSW and Qld you’re probably looking at a fair bit of natural improvement over the next decade anyway.

It’s the litmus test before rolling out the AFL reserves comp.

It’s the litmus test before rolling out the AFL reserves comp.

The thing about the mythical AFL reserves is that nobody actually wants it.

The players don’t want it, the AFL don’t want it, 14/18 clubs don’t want it... hell the Lions, GWS, Sydney and GC don’t even really want it, they just think it’s their only option as they have a poor standard of second tier competition at home.

The players don’t want it, the AFL don’t want it, 14/18 clubs don’t want it... hell the Lions, GWS, Sydney and GC don’t even really want it, they just think it’s their only option as they have a poor standard of second tier competition at home.

I'd like to believe your analysis is correct.
It demonstrates clearly why the developing states need the academy system to build the strength of their 2nd tier, an advantage the fans of clubs in the traditional heartland States take for granted.

So as the VFL goes through its annual rejig of clubs & alignments ..... v2021?

I'd like to believe your analysis is correct.
It demonstrates clearly why the developing states need the academy system to build the strength of their 2nd tier, an advantage the fans of clubs in the traditional heartland States take for granted.

So as the VFL goes through its annual rejig of clubs & alignments ..... v2021?

The “national reserves” argument is a strange one. Proponents of it just seem to say “it’s footy! You have reserves!” without any actual thinking.

Like, what is the actual point of reserves?

- game time for those who missed selection
- development for players below the senior team
- injury return (perhaps just a quarter, or half, or strict playing time)

None of these are better served by an AFL reserves competition. Flying players around is a pain in the arse and affects their preparation and recovery. Imagine you had a senior player returning from injury and you had to fly him across the country for his 40 mins game time? It’s a stupid notion.

On top of all that there’s the cost of it. For no benefit. In fact, it’s detrimental.

The WAFL, SANFL and VFL provide the perfect solution, in whatever form they choose to do it (standalones, alignments, whatever). The standard of play is fine.

Yes there needs to be something for the four northern clubs, but surely we can put the resources into improving their comp/s. Junior numbers are already rising. Find a way to attract state league players from the footy states for a work/play arrangement to further strengthen it. Maybe the NEAFL clubs need financial support for a greater salary cap and assistance with placing players into attractive employment? A way to ensure games are properly shown to all AFL scouts so the players know they’re still getting the exposure they would in the southern leagues?

Finally, has it really been that big a deal? GWS, Sydney and Brisbane all have multiple top 4 finishes in the past decade. Is it really holding them back that much?

Yes there needs to be something for the four northern clubs, but surely we can put the resources into improving their comp/s. Junior numbers are already rising. Find a way to attract state league players from the footy states for a work/play arrangement to further strengthen it.

I thought the academy system as kicked off by the Swans & their sponsor QBE (the AFL got involved much later) was the right balance. Sydney does not have the multitude of opportunities in Aussie Rules footy that the traditional States/clubs enjoy, and you dont need to play AFL footy to enjoy the game competitively - its not a 10 year fix to build the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the Victorian government has allowed cricket teams to have suburban ovals until late April. Local football has to be pushed back accordingly.

Nobody cared about the NEAFL. There weren't enough local rivalries and it still required flying from one state to another. I thought the original format of the NEAFL had promise, essentially the two state leagues operating as normal but with a shared finals series, but it wasn't a high standard of competition and ultimately didn't work.

Where have any of those parties said this?

It’s common sense. What possible reason could anybody have for wanting full AFL reserves and playing reserves games interstate?

(Other than the four northern clubs who supposedly need the competition, as mentioned)
Increase fan base/interest surrounding second tier?

I always thought the NEAFL had too many teams.

Ideally it should be:
- 4 afl twos team
- Southport
- Aspley
- Canberra
- Sydney Uni

Less teams should theoretically mean less costs, higher standard with less spread in talent and a more balanced comp.

It’s common sense. What possible reason could anybody have for wanting full AFL reserves and playing reserves games interstate?

(Other than the four northern clubs who supposedly need the competition, as mentioned)
All teams can have better competition that way, plus it keeps the squad together and allows for curtain raisers to all games.

All teams can have better competition that way, plus it keeps the squad together and allows for curtain raisers to all games.

The current standard of competition is fine for the vast majority of teams. As for curtain raisers, they could happen right now. They don’t because the grounds can’t handle the traffic. Only clubs with their own stadium could have them. That’s not going to change.

Keeping the squad together, I don’t even know what that means or what the benefit is meant to be. They spend every day together in training.

Make no mistake - travel is an inconvenience. It’s a pain in the arse that messes with preparation and recovery. Every club, given the chance, would play 22 games at home if they could. They don’t want to have more players and support staff travelling.

Is there a fixture coming out or are the clubs just going to organise games with each other? Second week of January and still crickets

Last I heard the fixture was due out on late Jan along with official name announcement. Of course this could change depending on COVID.

I don't think the competition was really that poor. It's not like AFL teams dominated the competition and all finished top 4 every year.

AFL teams only won 5 of the 9 premierships. They also won four wooden spoons (one of them being a conference spoon). There wasn't a single season where at least one AFL team missed finals. In 2018 they made up half of the bottom four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back