FTA-TV The Sopranos

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.

I watched this one last night when I couldn't sleep, so ******* good. They are doing one podcast per Sop's episode & bringing in other cast members & crew so at a rough estimate, it'll be around a 100 hours in total which will be heaven if the first one is anything to go by. Worth a look just for the story of Michael Imperioli's driving exploits in the pilot;)

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
*n great show.

Gonna have to rewatch. Paulie and Christopher along with Tony are Sublime.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
There’s a move being released next year the many saints of Newark I think it’s a prequel of the sopranos, David chase is involved with writing and probably other things too. James gandolfini’s son is playing a young tony soprano which could be interesting. Looking forward to it

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
People from behind The Wire. Don't compare it to the wire and it's fantastic. Then again I'm a big fan of AMerican history.

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
Probably haven't watched The Sopranos for the best part of a dozen years. I started it again about a month ago and I'm nearly up to the 60 seconds of blackness. I'd forgotten much of it so it's a revelation. Hasn't aged a bit, in fact it looks more like an authentic period piece with the clothing, cars, fashions, and music.
The show will be held up as the standard for TV series for many generations.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Probably haven't watched The Sopranos for the best part of a dozen years. I started it again about a month ago and I'm nearly up to the 60 seconds of blackness. I'd forgotten much of it so it's a revelation. Hasn't aged a bit, in fact it looks more like an authentic period piece with the clothing, cars, fashions, and music.
The show will be held up as the standard for TV series for many generations.

Currently watching about one episode a week & yeah, it hasn't aged at all, still as good as it ever was, better maybe in some ways when combining it with podcasts like Talking Sopranos. The show is experiencing a not that unexpected resurgence thanks to covid with a brand new audience discovering it, lucky buggers;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I've seen nearly all the Talking Sopranos podcasts so far. For me the best has been Terry Winter, such a great storyteller, could have listened to him for hours.

They had David Chase on for 90 mins this week, it was ok, but not as good as I was hoping for. Always seems like he'd rather be somewhere else than doing interviews.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I watched this one last night when I couldn't sleep, so ******* good. They are doing one podcast per Sop's episode & bringing in other cast members & crew so at a rough estimate, it'll be around a 100 hours in total which will be heaven if the first one is anything to go by. Worth a look just for the story of Michael Imperioli's driving exploits in the pilot;)
What has struck in the podcasts so far is that Imperioli's knowledge of the industry is unbelievable, like a walking encyclopedia.

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What has struck in the podcasts so far is that Imperioli's knowledge of the industry is unbelievable, like a walking encyclopedia.

He is really impressive in this. Seems to know absolutely everyone in the industry and what they've worked on. I did give up on the podcast though because I just got sick of Steve constantly talking over the top of everyone. Did they end up sorting that out?

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
He is really impressive in this. Seems to know absolutely everyone in the industry and what they've worked on. I did give up on the podcast though because I just got sick of Steve constantly talking over the top of everyone. Did they end up sorting that out?

Yeah he has settled down, if anything it's now Michael cutting in over Steve, which is always a good thing;). Their obvious differences are what makes this work though imho, eg Steve & his Vegas stories etc, Michael &his industry knowledge, they are both great.

Sep 2, 2017
Oakleigh
AFL Club
Richmond
Paulie Walnuts as biblical scholar.

“Hell is hot, that’s never been disputed by anybody”

Two of my favourites:

I love Paulie's simple outlook on life. Like that scene when he goes to visit Christopher who's upset because he doesn't have an arc or an identity.

Christopher - You ever feel like nothing good was ever going to happen to you?
Paulie - Yeah, and nothing did. So what? I'm alive, I'm surviving.

Sep 2, 2017
Oakleigh
AFL Club
Richmond

Great website if you want to get into each episode a little (or a lot) deeper. The last time I watched The Sop's (a couple years ago), I would go read the episode breakdown then watch it, was really enjoyable, expanded my appreciation for the series even more. At that time though the website creator had only just started on season 5 & I see now he's well into the last season & with the work he puts in, it's understandable it's taking so long.

Recommended.
Thanks for posting. I’m on my third or fourth rewatch and really enjoying watching an episode and then reading the write-up. I did the same thing a couple years ago, but with the AV Club. I think this website is better. Some of his insights are brilliant.

One thing I haven’t seen written about much is what went wrong with AJ. Did Carmela coddle him too much? I think Tony said that in one episode. Neither knew how to punish him, they would always cave in and give him what he wanted. But they did the same thing with Meadow and she turned out OK. Would he have benefitted from going to military school, like Tony wanted? Or am I overthinking it and he was just an a-hole?

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do they call tomato sauce gravy? American thing?

More a regional thing among Italian Americans from different areas. It's common in Jersey to call it gravy, but I think in New York it's referred to as sauce.

Kind of like how different parts of Australia will call thin slices of fried potato a "potato cake," "potato scallop" or "potato fritter" based on where you are.

Back