Players who passed away during their playing days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in 1996, just after one of the best WAFL Grand Finals ever, a young lad who played for East Perth, Jeremy Silcock died in a pool on a post season trip.
Sad to die so young from misadventure. Everything I heard about him was promising.

Had a very good player in Tassie named terry ringer mayne got punched outside a hotel hit his head and died was in his prime absolutely dominated in Tasmania footy think he has a couple seasons at Geelong as well !

Had a very good player in Tassie named terry ringer mayne got punched outside a hotel hit his head and died was in his prime absolutely dominated in Tasmania footy think he has a couple seasons at Geelong as well !
Mayne died as a result of head injuries received in an altercation with a motorist in the carpark at Bellerive Quay in April 1983 at just 32 years of age.

Mayne died as a result of head injuries received in an altercation with a motorist in the carpark at Bellerive Quay in April 1983 at just 32 years of age.
Yeah I was only a kid at the time remember watching him play for Clarence bloke was a gun didn’t he star in a grand final at very young age ? Surprised he never played more afl games

Melbourne's Troy Broadbridge died in the 2004 Tsunami in Thailand.
He was on his honeymoon after being married a week earlier.

Melbourne's Troy Broadbridge died in the 2004 Tsunami in Thailand.
He was on his honeymoon after being married a week earlier.

I was on the beach at Krabi when that hit

My wife and I ran so fast! When I turned and looked over my shoulder, too many were still standing on the beach taking photos of the tsunami rolling in. No wonder so many died.

Ronnie James - was the "next big thing" at Footscray when he died water skiing at age 19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Port Melbourne Football Club is in a state of shock and mourning after learning one of its players died in a car accident.

A club official has confirmed that former West Coast Eagles rookie Michael Mascoulis died in a car accident on Friday.

He would have turned 21 in January and had signed with Port Melbourne for the 2014 season three weeks ago and had begun training with his new club.

Played 1 game for St Kilda in 1901 , his murder in 1931 is still unsolved.
Having played his single game 30 years earlier, I'm not sure if he was technically still in his playing days when the murder happened.

Darren Millane, John McCarthy and Troy Broadbridge would be the 3 highest profile players in the AFL era. I think there were also a number who took a break from football to go to war, most notably Ron Barassi's father.

That’s incredible. How did you manage to outrun the surge of water?

I worked in marine science in the 90s, so familiar with ocean norms. Although I was confused at first as to why the water breaking on the reef, on the horizon was moving as reefs don't move..............the penny dropped.

I yelled tsunami , tidal wave, tsunami, tidal wave......when people looked I made it a little clearer "just *ing run". My wife and I ran up a street from the beach only to think the street would become a natural river.

My wife turned to me and said "I have a stitch". I looked at her thinking what poor timing to joke, only to see puppy dog eyes. A simple "keep running and we argue later" then turned behind a building and started climbing up a hill side.

When we came down,the devastation was unreal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back