The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not cancelled yet but a lot of league 2 and below club's have 26 games to fit in between late Feb and early May.

And that's making them to straight into games with 6 weeks away from club's. If they give them a 2 week training block to get back in it becomes 26 games from mid March to at best late May. It would be possible 26 games in 10-12 weeks but with the lack of money on the line nobody would be forcing the issue for it to get finished

League 2 could run into the summer months if they want to. Doubt there would be any Euro 2020 players in L2 & lower.

League 2 could run into the summer months if they want to. Doubt there would be any Euro 2020 players in L2 & lower.
Would the FA and whoever rations the non-leagues really have their seasons run into the summer and potentially putting them out of sync with the rest of the country's football calendar though?

Would the FA and whoever rations the non-leagues really have their seasons run into the summer and potentially putting them out of sync with the rest of the country's football calendar though?

The football calendar is out of sync anyway with Qatar 2022 being played in November next year.

It's not cancelled yet but a lot of league 2 and below club's have 26 games to fit in between late Feb and early May.

And that's making them to straight into games with 6 weeks away from club's. If they give them a 2 week training block to get back in it becomes 26 games from mid March to at best late May. It would be possible 26 games in 10-12 weeks but with the lack of money on the line nobody would be forcing the issue for it to get finished

I know a lot of games have to be made up, my club has 3 already.

Great news that the vaccine is being rolled out. Unfortunately it’s come too late to do anything about the damage being wreaked by this current wave. It’ll take months to reach sufficient levels of immunity to allow safe removal of these restrictions.

Thinking of all those living in the UK. Must be gutting to be heading back in to lockdown but there really wasn’t a choice. If anything it’s come too late (again). The B117 variant does appear to be more transmissible but that shouldn’t distract from the numerous policy failures that led to this point (e.g November lockdown ended too early, the tier system self evidently not fit for purpose, zero screening or quarantine for international travelers, etc).

I spent a bit of time reading first hand accounts from intensive care doctors and nurses today, pretty harrowing. I can’t imagine the anxiety they would experience going to work, not just for their patients but also for their own personal safety.

Looking at the published data, we’re approaching 90,000 excess deaths (1 in 750-800 of all UK residents) since the pandemic began, climbing rapidly every day (with significantly higher rates in certain regions, among people over 50, people with comorbidities, etc).

Not to mention the emerging evidence around long COVID, and the high likelihood that (similar to other severe viral infections) many people who are infected with COVID but survive will suffer long term neurological, respiratory and cardiovascular complications related to their infection. In countries with large, uncontrolled epidemics I expect this will result in significant long term costs both to the health system and to society through lost productivity.

The elephant in the room is that an epidemic of the scale seen in the UK was largely preventable. They have all the tools, but in striving to balance that false dichotomy of ‘save the economy’ vs ‘control the virus’, in the end the UK has ended up with the worst of both worlds.

The impacts of this pandemic will be felt by those countries who ignored the science and failed to adequately control their epidemics for many years to come.

Last edited:
London is unfortunately full of 20-40 year olds who think that going out to the pub and getting trashed while snorting coke is appropriate during a pandemic. I'm in a WhatsApp group with about 100 Aussies/Brits (Aussie Rules) and the only thing they cared about was footy training not being on.. and that they couldn't go to the pub. Once they did socially distanced training they'd go to the socially distance pub in different seats and basically interact with each other. w***ers.

London is unfortunately full of 20-40 year olds who think that going out to the pub and getting trashed while snorting coke is appropriate during a pandemic. I'm in a WhatsApp group with about 100 Aussies/Brits (Aussie Rules) and the only thing they cared about was footy training not being on.. and that they couldn't go to the pub. Once they did socially distanced training they'd go to the socially distance pub in different seats and basically interact with each other. w***ers.
I'm surprised there's still so many over there sticking it out

Passport holders, people with good jobs and longer visas. People can get a 5 year ancestry visa so as long as they have money coming in it's cheaper than going home and they can apply for permanent residency after that

Not that easy getting back at the moment.

I'm on a waiting list with DFAT, had one email since I went on it about a limited number of available seats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking to come home for good?
No, just a visit. My mums not well and I havent been able to get over since last Christmas.

Passport holders, people with good jobs and longer visas. People can get a 5 year ancestry visa so as long as they have money coming in it's cheaper than going home and they can apply for permanent residency after that
Most of the 5+ year stayers I knew had "calmed" down the sort of stuff you mentioned in the earlier post. Even the ones that hadn't, had at the very least a lot quieter Thursday-Sunday's than the 2 year visa crew

Most of the 5+ year stayers I knew had "calmed" down the sort of stuff you mentioned in the earlier post. Even the ones that hadn't, had at the very least a lot quieter Thursday-Sunday's than the 2 year visa crew
The ones I know definitely haven't. Not yet anyway.

No, just a visit. My mums not well and I havent been able to get over since last Christmas.

Sorry to hear that. Was supposed to be in the UK for Easter to help with the inlaws who arent well. We probably wont see them until summer 22 at this rate. Hopefully you can get back to Australia sooner.

I am still struggling with the passing of my pet Cat Ruby aome 6 weeks ago(still cry almost every day over her, we were blessed to have her for 19 human years) and I get pissed off when well meaning friends and family members tell me to get a new cat/kitten to help ease the pain.

I have been drinking a lot more and living somehat really unhealthy since i lost Rubes (which perhaps explains why I have been posting a bit like a w***er her of late)

I would do anything to make this pain and depression stop.

Just in a real bad place right now (emotionally) and honestly it's only my sports team I am potty about like Leeds, Melbourne City and The Boston Celtics that are keeping me going.

I am still struggling with the passing of my pet Cat Ruby aome 6 weeks ago(still cry almost every day over her, we were blessed to have her for 19 human years) and I get pissed off when well meaning friends and family members tell me to get a new cat/kitten to help ease the pain.

I have been drinking a lot more and living somehat really unhealthy since i lost Rubes (which perhaps explains why I have been posting a bit like a w***er her of late)

Just in a real bad place right now (emotionally) and honestly it's only my sports team I am potty about like Leeds, Melbourne City and The Boston Celtics that are keeping me going.
Sorry to hear mate. I’ve had many cats through my time and their loss always stings. You got to allow yourself time to
Grieve but you can’t wallow in it for too long. Make sure you keep yourself busy as much as possible. Get to bed early and try and exercise.

Sorry to hear that. Was supposed to be in the UK for Easter to help with the inlaws who arent well. We probably wont see them until summer 22 at this rate. Hopefully you can get back to Australia sooner.
Myself and the fiancee are putting off our wedding (we got engaged on NYE) until 2022 or even 2023 just so my folks can come to Ireland.

Sorry to hear mate. Really shows the importance of sport and outlets in our lives. And putting as much time and energy into those and finding others will be your best bet, a lot more than the suggestion of getting a new cat. As bok said sleep and exercise are great for the mind and will help massively with drinking less too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back