Long time Swans fan who fell off the last few years: Can somebody summarise our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodsss15

Draftee
Dec 21, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Been watching the Bloods since I was a baby but I recently fell of the last few years living overseas.

Can somebody more up to date fill me on our best players (rankings if you want) I'm still familiar with the big names.

And who are looking like our best prospects? Who do you think on our list has the most potential? Once again rankings if you want.

Should we be looking at a full scale rebuild or do Buddy, Franklin, Parker and Rampe still have something left in them to put a few more pieces (who would you like to target) around while devoloping our young stars.

Can't wait to get back to my Bloods coming back home. 05 and 12 are still some of the best days I can remember.

Been watching the Bloods since I was a baby but I recently fell of the last few years living overseas.

Can somebody more up to date fill me on our best players (rankings if you want) I'm still familiar with the big names.

And who are looking like our best prospects? Who do you think on our list has the most potential? Once again rankings if you want.

Should we be looking at a full scale rebuild or do Buddy, Franklin, Parker and Rampe still have something left in them to put a few more pieces (who would you like to target) around while devoloping our young stars.

Can't wait to get back to my Bloods coming back home. 05 and 12 are still some of the best days I can remember.
TBH That would be an essay too far for me! I'll offer you my personal best 22 that doesn't include the 2020 top level draftees:
McDonald pick 4
Campbell pick 5
Gulden pick 32
We have a new ruck Hickey who has been around the traps. Also two new rookies who are unlikely to play.
Most of the list have had experience.
My team:
Defence (7)
Cunningham (v. good)
Rampe (gun)
Melican
Mills (gun)
McCartin (was CHF now CHB v good)
Lloyd (B&F)
Ling (arguable)
Midfield (8)
Hickey (ruck)
Kennedy (aging gun)
Parker (2nd B&F)
Rowbottom
Florent
Dawson
Blakey
McInerney (arguable)
Forwards (5 one resting mid to make 6)
Heeney (gun)
Franklin (champion)
Papley
Reid
Wicks (arguable)
Two for the interchange
Hayward
Stephens (pick 5 last year)
Suggest you read the thread best 22 2021 to get more different views.
Cheers

Players to look out for

2018 draft - Blakey, Rowbottom, and McInerney. All have showed some really special moments.

2019 draft - Stephens is the main one, Gould and Warner may need some more time before they show something. Don't worry about the other kid we draft. Just don't even talk about it...

2020 draft - McDonald was the best kpf in the open draft, Campbell was the best kick, both are VERY likely to play next year. Gulden is also very good, high endurance, but aren't as sure as McDonald and Campbell.

There are of course more quite a few more blokes that are exciting prospects, for example watching Heeney and Mills go from strength to strength, but these are the more raw and recent kids.

Bandwagonners jumping back on. Great to see it.

Our best player is Buddy & he'll be right for round 1 & we will contend again.

We've been through a ground up rebuild since the glory days, done some very clever drafting and we're maybe a year or two max off ripping finals apart again. This team is young, really young, but talented, bloody well drilled, well oiled and their culture is Bloods-stained red & white. Quite a few have been playing for Sydney since they were teens. Almost all are 24yo or younger. At their age they'd normally have more zits than experience but not this lot.

You won't recognise the new look game plan. Remember how the SCG Trust never had to repair the wicket after our games ? No ? Well we only really used it for centre bounces. Now we've discovered you can move the ball a lot faster through the middle bit of the ground. We're calling it "corridor" play. While the opposition are camped on the wings, waiting for us to kick it down the line and reset for another stoppage, we're off down the corridor and kicking a goal (2 if it's Papley) before they've even woken up to what's happened. Speed ? Remember the slow Swans of yore ? These guys are fast, really bloody fast, and they can kick too. Go back to the round 8 2020 game and watch us take Hawks apart with our kicking game, going about 20% better by foot than the Hawks. Clarko was rampant. He realised why we'd traded Mitchell. No point getting 50 possessions if you give half to the other team. Watch us take apart GWS - the former GF runner up - or Melbourne, knocking them out of the top 8. Our ladder finish doesn't reflect where this list is at. In fact, just dropping a huge lead to Carlton, when we relaxed a bit, cost us 5 ladder positions. A couple more goals per game and we're ripping into finals.

Last year we played entirely without Buds or a full-time ruckman. Heeney & Ramps out for much of the year as was JPK. Hewett was a virtual non-starter. But the young guys like Florent stepped up. Rowbum was superb yet he's still just a kid. McInerney's been a revelation with his pace and silky skills. Dawson can kick the skin off a footy or thread the eye of a needle at 60m, and he can play in any position. McCartin is as good down back as he is up forward, or better. Even Reid is staying fit and making a contest, when he often cops two or three of the best defenders. But this year was all about the young guys. No-names, local talent, late picks or left of field picks. Our recruiters have done well. We've got depth crawling out of our half-time orange bucket. Even a recycled bit player like Foxy has made a huge leap, found his mojo and become a solid reliable attacking defender in the mold of Rampe, able to play on big and small but always completely committed. We have so much talent in defence we traded Aliir to get another ruckman and more draft points.

We've just picked up 3 of the top picks in the draft too, so if you want a who's who of good players at the Swans, just click "Player List" on the web site. It's pure talent. Crikey, even the guys we had to let go last year were good players. The coaching box has changed too. Plenty of new blood and new Bloods. Don Pyke brings his secret sauce across from the Crows of 2017. There's a new look Horse, emotional and he no longer just calls a s**t day "unSwanslike". He gets angry. He's passionate. We stole Richmond's fitness guru to replace Spurrs, who was a great guy but when he gave his notice 12 months ago by writing "I intend to leave in 3-4 weeks" it kind of summed up our expectations of player recovery. Maybe now 3-4 weeks will mean 3-4 or even 2-3 weeks. After a year of horrific injuries to our senior players, decimating our spine, we can be confident we'll have more on the park going forward.

Finally, we still have a shiny new(ish) rejuvenated Buddy under contract. We're told the restoration went well including a bare-metal respray. Even getting him on the park would catapult us into finals this year & next. He's still been a huge influence on our young players, many of whom have made or are making the transition to stars in their own right.

In the next few years we'll have our ageing champs retiring just when we'll be most attractive to big names wanting a premiership medal before they hang up their boots. Our premiership window will open wide over the next few years and it's likely to be open for some years. Plenty of salary cap too after Buds and his mates depart. We have a generational team almost cooked and ready to serve. It'd be nice to win a GF in 2021 or 2022 to give our old champs a big send off but we'll certainly be winning our share of GFs over the next 8 years or so.

Make no mistake. If there ever was a best time to jump (back) on a bandwagon it's now. Don't risk waiting in line for a membership next year. The bandwagon is already pulling out of town. Welcome back on board.

Last edited:
We've been through a ground up rebuild since the glory days, done some very clever drafting and we're maybe a year or two max off ripping finals apart again. This team is young, really young but talented, bloody well drilled, well oiled and their culture is Bloods-stained red & white. Quite a few have been playing for Sydney since they were teens. Almost all are 24yo or younger. At their age they normally have more zits than experience but not this lot.

You won't recognise the new look game plan. Remember how the SCG Trust never had to repair the wicket after our games ? No ? Well we only really used it for centre bounces. Now we've discovered you can move the ball a lot faster through the middle bit of the ground. We're calling it "corridor" play. While the opposition are camped on the wings, waiting for us to kick it down the line and reset for another stoppage, we're off down the corridor and kicking the goal (2 if it's Papley) before they've even woken up to what's happened. Speed ? Remember the slow Swans of yore ? These guys are fast, really bloody fast and they can kick too. Go back to the round 8 2020 game and watch us take Hawks apart with our kicking game, going about 20% better by foot than the Hawks. Clarko was rampant. He realised why we'd traded Mitchell. No point getting 50 possessions if you give half to the other team. Watch us take apart GWS, former GF runner up or Melbourne, knocking them out of the top 8. Our ladder finish does not reflect where this list is at. In fact, dropping our huge lead to Carlton, when we relaxed a bit, cost us 5 ladder positions. A couple more goals per game and we're ripping into finals.

Last year we played entirely without Buds, a full-time ruckman, Heeney & Ramps for most of the year and even JPK spent a fair time out. Hewett was missing too. Guys like Florent stepped up. Rowbum was superb yet he's just a kid. McInerney's been a revelation with his pace and skills. Dawson can kick the skin off a footy or thread the eye of a needle at 60m and he can play in any position. McCartin is as good down back as he is up forward. Even Reid is staying fit. But this is all about the young guys. No-names, local talent, late picks, left of field picks. Our recruiters have done well. We've got depth crawling out of our half-time oranges. Even recycled a bit player like Foxy has made a huge leap and become a solid reliable attacking defender in the mold of Rampe. Able to play on big and small. Always completely committed. We have so much talent in defence we even traded Aliir to get another ruckman and more draft points.

Add to all that we've just picked up 3 of the top picks in the draft. So if you want a who's who of good players at the Swans, just click "Player List" on the web site. Crikey, even the guys we had to let go last year were good players. The coaching box has changed too. Plenty of new blood and new Bloods. Don Pyke to bring his secret sauce across. New look Horse is emotional and no longer just calls a sh*t day "unSwanslike". He's passionate. We stole Richmond's fitness guru so maybe 3-4 weeks will now mean 3-4 or eveen 2-3 weeks. Spurrs was a great guy but when he gave his notice 12 months ago writing "I intend to leave in 3-4 weeks" it kind of summed up our expectations of player recovery.

Finally, we still have under contract a shiny new(ish) rejuvenated Buddy. The restoration went well, we're told, and even getting him on the park would catapult us into finals this year & next. He's still been a huge influence on the young players, many of whom have made or are making the transition to stars in their own right. In the next few years we'll have our ageing champs retiring just when we'll be most attractive to big names thinking of winning a premiership medal. Our premiership window will be opening over the next few years and likely to be open for some years. Plenty of salary cap too after Buds et al depart. We have a generational team almost cooked ready to serve. It'd be nice to win a GF in 2021 or 2022 to give our old champs a big send off but we'll certainly be winning a few GFs over the 8 years or so.

Make no mistake. If there ever was a best time to jump (back) on a bandwagon it's now. Don't risk waiting to snag a membership next year. The wagon is already pulling out so welcome back on board.
Thanks a ******* lot Bungee, three days in and you’ve killed the interest in the “Post of the Year” award.

Bravo!

🙄

Actual picture of me and our current list.
images.jpeg-3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks a ******* lot Bungee, three days in and you’ve killed the interest in the “Post of the Year” award.

Bravo!

🙄
Soz Brucey. This is the time of year when anything seems possible. Hope shines eternal, even more so coming off a pandemic year. Folks are wide open to belief in rainbows, unicorns and magic fairy dust. I'll bet even Essendon fancy themselves a chance 🤣😂 (before they're smashed against the rocky shore of reality come round 1).

No seriously, it's these sort of pieces the Official Swans Media should be pumping out preseason to boost membership. The recipe's as old as time itself. Take a grain of truth, add a glimmer of hope, a sliver of optimism, a dash of desire, a bit of belief and a sprinkling of poetic licence. It's not hard to come up with titles. "One last Coleman Medal for Buddy", "Reid's year to shine", "Rowbottom a smokey for the Brownlow", "Sinclair's premiership finish" or, really pushing the boat out, "Naismith to play more than 2 games"

We've been through a ground up rebuild since the glory days, done some very clever drafting and we're maybe a year or two max off ripping finals apart again. This team is young, really young but talented, bloody well drilled, well oiled and their culture is Bloods-stained red & white. Quite a few have been playing for Sydney since they were teens. Almost all are 24yo or younger. At their age they normally have more zits than experience but not this lot.

You won't recognise the new look game plan. Remember how the SCG Trust never had to repair the wicket after our games ? No ? Well we only really used it for centre bounces. Now we've discovered you can move the ball a lot faster through the middle bit of the ground. We're calling it "corridor" play. While the opposition are camped on the wings, waiting for us to kick it down the line and reset for another stoppage, we're off down the corridor and kicking the goal (2 if it's Papley) before they've even woken up to what's happened. Speed ? Remember the slow Swans of yore ? These guys are fast, really bloody fast and they can kick too. Go back to the round 8 2020 game and watch us take Hawks apart with our kicking game, going about 20% better by foot than the Hawks. Clarko was rampant. He realised why we'd traded Mitchell. No point getting 50 possessions if you give half to the other team. Watch us take apart GWS, former GF runner up or Melbourne, knocking them out of the top 8. Our ladder finish does not reflect where this list is at. In fact, dropping our huge lead to Carlton, when we relaxed a bit, cost us 5 ladder positions. A couple more goals per game and we're ripping into finals.

Last year we played entirely without Buds, a full-time ruckman, Heeney & Ramps for most of the year and even JPK spent a fair time out. Hewett was missing too. Guys like Florent stepped up. Rowbum was superb yet he's just a kid. McInerney's been a revelation with his pace and skills. Dawson can kick the skin off a footy or thread the eye of a needle at 60m and he can play in any position. McCartin is as good down back as he is up forward. Even Reid is staying fit. But this is all about the young guys. No-names, local talent, late picks, left of field picks. Our recruiters have done well. We've got depth crawling out of our half-time oranges. Even recycled a bit player like Foxy has made a huge leap and become a solid reliable attacking defender in the mold of Rampe. Able to play on big and small. Always completely committed. We have so much talent in defence we even traded Aliir to get another ruckman and more draft points.

Add to all that we've just picked up 3 of the top picks in the draft. So if you want a who's who of good players at the Swans, just click "Player List" on the web site. Crikey, even the guys we had to let go last year were good players. The coaching box has changed too. Plenty of new blood and new Bloods. Don Pyke to bring his secret sauce across. New look Horse is emotional and no longer just calls a sh*t day "unSwanslike". He's passionate. We stole Richmond's fitness guru so maybe 3-4 weeks will now mean 3-4 or eveen 2-3 weeks. Spurrs was a great guy but when he gave his notice 12 months ago writing "I intend to leave in 3-4 weeks" it kind of summed up our expectations of player recovery.

Finally, we still have under contract a shiny new(ish) rejuvenated Buddy. The restoration went well, we're told, and even getting him on the park would catapult us into finals this year & next. He's still been a huge influence on the young players, many of whom have made or are making the transition to stars in their own right. In the next few years we'll have our ageing champs retiring just when we'll be most attractive to big names thinking of winning a premiership medal. Our premiership window will be opening over the next few years and likely to be open for some years. Plenty of salary cap too after Buds et al depart. We have a generational team almost cooked ready to serve. It'd be nice to win a GF in 2021 or 2022 to give our old champs a big send off but we'll certainly be winning a few GFs over the 8 years or so.

Make no mistake. If there ever was a best time to jump (back) on a bandwagon it's now. Don't risk waiting to snag a membership next year. The wagon is already pulling out so welcome back on board.
Post of the year:thumbsu:

Post of the year:thumbsu:
What I really like about Bungee's post is paragraph 2. I like this in spades. I edited it [Sorry Bungee] to emphasize.

You won't recognize the new look game plan. Now we've discovered you can move the ball a lot faster through the middle bit of the ground. We're calling it "corridor" play. While the opposition are camped on the wings, waiting for us to kick it down the line and reset for another stoppage, we're off down the corridor and kicking the goal (2 if it's Papley) before they've even woken up to what's happened.

Speed ? Remember the slow Swans of yore ? These guys are fast, really bloody fast and they can kick too. Go back to the round 8 2020 game and watch us take Hawks apart with our kicking game, going about 20% better by foot than the Hawks.

Love it!! This is what I'm looking forward to in 2021!!

List summary:

2 midfielders
1 key fwd
1 key back

...short of being a finals side. Still see us as bottom 6 in 2021.

Also need a new ruck at some stage in the next 2 years.

On the upside:

McInerney, Rowbottom, McDonald, McCartin, Campbell, Stephens and Blakey are 7 youngsters to get excited about in the next few years.
Like that take.

What I really like about Bungee's post is paragraph 2. I like this in spades. I edited it [Sorry Bungee] to emphasize.

You won't recognize the new look game plan. Now we've discovered you can move the ball a lot faster through the middle bit of the ground. We're calling it "corridor" play. While the opposition are camped on the wings, waiting for us to kick it down the line and reset for another stoppage, we're off down the corridor and kicking the goal (2 if it's Papley) before they've even woken up to what's happened.

Speed ? Remember the slow Swans of yore ? These guys are fast, really bloody fast and they can kick too. Go back to the round 8 2020 game and watch us take Hawks apart with our kicking game, going about 20% better by foot than the Hawks.

Don't worry. I also edited my own post. Thanks for the accolades.

I highly recommend that game as off-season viewing. Just the increasingly despondent look on Clarko's face is worth it. Outkicked by the Swans, masters of the corridor.

Might have over achieved if just miss 8 with our list. But, Hickey could be more influential for us then people think at present.
The ladder was so tight last year that we were one just game short of 13th but on better percentage. That lapse to Carlton cost us 3 spots. So we'd have to win just two more to come 10th. Just 1.5 goals better/game in 2021 and we're in the 8. Not a huge jump. Look at how we jumped from 12th in 1995 to 1st in 1996

Remove this Banner Ad

Back