Analysis Who plays as 2nd key forward in 2021?

Who plays the second key forward role in 2021?

• Charlie Comben

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Robbie Tarrant

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Tristan Xerri

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Ben Mckay

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • other-someone we trade or draft in

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We really won’t know until the pre-season games are complete.

Im thinking Xerri with Larkey until Comben has some VFL form.

Walker will purely be back up , but will play games when injuries hit.

Larkey / Xerri or Larkey / Zurharr

Josh Walker is KPD depth only.

Comben might play a handful of games but is probably at least 2 seasons away from starting 22

The main purpose of the Key forward is to give the players up the ground a target to kick to. We don't have a lot of players who can take a contested mark so that makes this problematic. I want Comben to play because we need to know what he can do but realistically we need to put Walker up there because other than Larkey, he's the only one who can take a contested mark. Our only bloke who was a better mark was Maj. We had better be working on a gameplan which involves run and carry, making space and hitting targets because we just don't have the marking power of a Carltank or Weagles forward line.

Larkey as key for sure. I'd like to see Curtis Taylor spend some time up there, as he's a good mark, quick, smart, good kick at goal. Bailey can run up from the wing too, he's always in the right spots, and a good kick at goal too. Round out with some Zurhaar and TG to unsettle the opposition, a bit of the 2 Jacks here and there, with a dash of Kanye to run and tarry...we've got a ton of options. Ferball did a great post about it here a while back. Can't remember what thread.

Anyways, I'm sure there's some I've forgotten. Point is, we've got so much to choose from, and a lot of young kids who can play multiple positions (even LDU can zip up there for a bit if needed!) I'm not sure having anyone set in stone this year would be a very good tactic anyway. Except ol' Souva, of course. Bless him. Hope he gets in the race for the Coleman this year!:blueheart:

Comben might play a handful of games but is probably at least 2 seasons away from starting 22

I thought the same thing about Larkey/Zurhaar at the start of 2019.

They can come on a bit quicker these days d_c.

The main purpose of the Key forward is to give the players up the ground a target to kick to. We don't have a lot of players who can take a contested mark so that makes this problematic. I want Comben to play because we need to know what he can do but realistically we need to put Walker up there because other than Larkey, he's the only one who can take a contested mark. Our only bloke who was a better mark was Maj. We had better be working on a gameplan which involves run and carry, making space and hitting targets because we just don't have the marking power of a Carltank or Weagles forward line.

Look, I love Maj, but as a key forward, my mother was a better contested mark. Any halfway decent tall defender was able to edge Maj out of the contest which is why he never established himself as a key forward.

Plenty of guys around 190 to support larkey in the forward line as a pseudo 2nd tall target.
I think either comben will take it or Xerri rotate with goldy as 2nd ruck/tall target, just takes time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I love Maj, but as a key forward, my mother was a better contested mark. Any halfway decent tall defender was able to edge Maj out of the contest which is why he never established himself as a key forward.

What I mean is he was the only one capable of taking a contested mark.
Statistically very similar to Walker. Both are better backmen than forwards but who else do/did we have on the list who could be a chance to hold it when the ball was hacked forward?

And we still have Tay too, and add CT, Hall too will be fwd don't think will get much mid time this year.... Ford aswell depending on how quick he adapts to AFL life.....then got plenty of smalls too sugar r2 Jmah , spicer although think he is a year or 2 off but who knows.... also have taken SS too not sure if that's to play fwd or back..... bottom line is plenty of unknowns and flexibility and speed... exciting times

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And we still have Tay too, and add CT, Hall too will be fwd don't think will get much mid time this year.... Ford aswell depending on how quick he adapts to AFL life.....then got plenty of smalls too sugar r2 Jmah , spicer although think he is a year or 2 off but who knows.... also have taken SS too not sure if that's to play fwd or back..... bottom line is plenty of unknowns and flexibility and speed... exciting times

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
SS?

Until someone presents as a suitable option in the VFL I think Ziebs and Zurhar will be the two mediums with Larkey + 3 fleet of foot forwards. I don’t think it will be a bad option either.

Yep.
TT and TayGar can compete in the air too as medium forwards.
But it Comben comes on and Xerri step up - then that should do it in the short term. Walker stop gap in the meantime.

Back