Things Cricket Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket needs an overhaul of everything to do with cricket in the West Indies. Cricket needs to support NZ financially to produce a constant supply of top players. Cricket needs India to put up or shut up and Cricket needs to move to four day tests, less ODI's and to limit franchise T20 tournaments to three or four premier tournaments a year with a dedicated window for all of them.

Even AB donned the Hilditch Grill when facing Ambrose, Marshall, Walsh and Bishop in 88/89.
the champ was 'donning' a Grill... um barbecue... no that is just where I was sitting when I was listening to the radio...
history of the greatest was becoming my aquaintance..

Everything Roberts touched at CA turned to s**t. It's surprising he lasted this long after his mate was forced out as chairman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

while I don't disagree that we need more competitive Test nations, expecting/hoping to get between 10-20 strong playing Test nations is just not going to happen.

In the spirit of the opening post, I saw some highlights of Lara’s 375 the other night. He scored his last 80 or so wearing a cap against the quicks, while little Shiv on debut sported a helmet with white ear guards that would have been lucky to turn away a decent sized blowfly, and looked like a cauldron on his golf ball sized head. Nearly brought a tear to the eye

In the spirit of the opening post, I saw some highlights of Lara’s 375 the other night. He scored his last 80 or so wearing a cap against the quicks, while little Shiv on debut sported a helmet with white ear guards that would have been lucky to turn away a decent sized blowfly, and looked like a cauldron on his golf ball sized head. Nearly brought a tear to the eye

I don't know how well known this is, but in that innings, in fact on the very shot that took him past Sobers' record, Lara trod on his stumps and dislodged a bail. Fortunately for him and us, it didn't fall but resettled in its groove. Here's a picture. You can see that the left bail isn't quite back in its groove yet, and Brian looks very concerned.

download.jpg

Found an article on the subject:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/26632647

(Jack) Russell: "When he went past the record, he hit the stumps. The ball was over the boundary rope in a flash, but I remember the bail going up in the air because he had knocked it with his foot or his pad.

"As the ball travelled to the boundary, I was watching the bail and realising I would need to appeal if it fell off. I also thought to myself that if I do appeal, I won't make it home - I'll be lynched. The bail didn't fall off in the end but it stayed slightly out of its slot."

while I don't disagree that we need more competitive Test nations, expecting/hoping to get between 10-20 strong playing Test nations is just not going to happen.

why do we need more test playing nations when we wouldn't even play them ?

we've played england 56 times since 2000, yet zimbabwe, ireland and afghanistan a total of 0 times.

having already 12 test nations and not playing them evenly simply isn't right.

i think the likes of scotland, netherlands etc have a fair way to go before applying for test status - 20/20's and odi status are probably the way to go for these nations for now still.

why do we need more test playing nations when we wouldn't even play them ?

we've played england 56 times since 2000, yet bangladesh, zimbabwe, ireland and afghanistan a total of 8 times.

having already 12 test nations and not playing them evenly simply isn't right.

i think the likes of scotland, netherlands etc have a fair way to go before applying for test status - 20/20's and odi status are probably the way to go for these nations for now still.

A few more up-to-the-standard test teams would go a long way to fixing many of the problems tbf. Playing India every few years bores me, but there's not many alternatives for a competitive series. Maybe NZ in NZ right now, but we don't get there until 23/24, so that's probably past this current peak they're at.

The Ashes obviously goes without saying. Even if we are pummeling them it's greatly satisfying, and vice versa for them. So it still draws.

Bullying the likes of Sri Lanka or the West Indies just feels a bit mean after a while and you can see why it doesn't draw a crowd.

A few more up-to-the-standard test teams would go a long way to fixing many of the problems tbf. Playing India every few years bores me, but there's not many alternatives for a competitive series. Maybe NZ in NZ right now, but we don't get there until 23/24, so that's probably past this current peak they're at.

The Ashes obviously goes without saying. Even if we are pummeling them it's greatly satisfying, and vice versa for them. So it still draws.

Bullying the likes of Sri Lanka or the West Indies just feels a bit mean after a while and you can see why it doesn't draw a crowd.

HERE there are not many alternatives for a competitive series, but if Australia catches a plane, they will get a competitive series.
Their most recent trip, and the result:

Sri Lanka - Loss
Bangladesh - Draw
Pakistan - Loss
SA - Loss
England - Draw
India - Loss
West Indies - Win
NZ - Win

I would back NZ in NZ to beat them right now and on the right tracks I'd even give the West Indies a chance of at least making the batsmen struggle, even if they were getting castled for 200 themselves.

HERE there are not many alternatives for a competitive series, but if Australia catches a plane, they will get a competitive series.
Their most recent trip, and the result:

Sri Lanka - Loss
Bangladesh - Draw
Pakistan - Loss
SA - Loss
England - Draw
India - Loss
West Indies - Win
NZ - Win

I would back NZ in NZ to beat them right now and on the right tracks I'd even give the West Indies a chance of at least making the batsmen struggle, even if they were getting castled for 200 themselves.
As I was typing it I was trying to recall some away series in my head as I thought we lost a couple. Vs Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh did come to mind, though it's been so long I wasn't completely sure.

The Ashes has been good recently because the teams have been evenly matched but it was ******* boring for about 25 years before that.

Half the reason we dominate home series is that many teams hardly ever visit. If Sri Lanka and Pakistan (let alone Bangladesh, who we actively try to avoid) were here more often and had a chance to get more familiar with the conditions, the cricket would eventually get better.

Very short-term thinking to have the same few teams play each other again and again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back