Competition Australian Basketball Association - Draft Thread - Commences 9am 6/1/21

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
If nicknames get taken with the first 11 picks, I'll take a location or colour to go with the nickname that is left for me given that nobody else can take the last nickname. The one advantage of last pick.

I've (somehow) ended up with the last pick in the last few comps I've run with a draft and I've always had a workable concept.

I specifically tried to pick animals that weren't closely tied to a colour scheme but I guess you could end up with the Gold Coast Yetis wearing Orange or something like that which would be more difficult to work.

It might be worth taking a more versatile colour (like black) in the first round so whatever nickname you end up with, you can make it work.

I'd expect most people to be planning to go nickname > colour > location but I don't think it will be uniformly split like that across the rounds.

See that would seem the most logical, but I think the better strategy for those in the second half of the list is to switch things up and go for one of the other categories to gain advantage there.

If you stick to Nickname > Colour > Location then those in the 6/7-12 positions are always on the back foot when it comes to choices. So why not go for something that the first half have not gone for and take away their options for the second and 3rd round to create a balance. The nicknames will still be available in the second and third round as those in the top half will have already taken theirs, but choices of colour and locations will not be.

So logically the best move for those from those in the second half is to switch it up and cause those in the top half to make moves themselves. Then the draft gets interesting, otherwise it will be a formality with those at the top getting almost free reign of choices and those in the second half scrambling to get what is left.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Me personally will be looking for a nickname first, because the moniker will inform almost every aspect of my design. The colour is important too don't get me wrong, but the way I think of it I can more likely than not just make the colour fit with whatever moniker I have chosen. Location could have some importance if I want to include elements of that location in my design but once I've got the colour and moniker I can really just throw a dart on the map and do wherever it lands at that point.

Don't take this as a guide or advice or anything, but just laying out my thought process going into it.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Might have to trim the times down with the caveat that people can jump in anytime if they're skipped

I would agree with trimming the times down, 24 hours is too long to be sitting around waiting. But I am not a fan of allowing the missed person to just jump in as they could post 1 second before the current pick and take off the board something that if they were 2 seconds later they would have missed out on. If you miss your window you move to the back of the list for that round.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I would agree with trimming the times down, 24 hours is too long to be sitting around waiting. But I am not a fan of allowing the missed person to just jump in as they could post 1 second before the current pick and take off the board something that if they were 2 seconds later they would have missed out on. If you miss your window you move to the back of the list for that round.
If you were given 6-12 hours to make a selection I'm fairly confident you'd get on and make a selection

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Might have to trim the times down with the caveat that people can jump in anytime if they're skipped

I went with 24 hours to give people the best chance to get their pick in, obviously real life stuff sometimes gets in the way. If it gets to 24 hours, the next person can be tagged and Muggsy will be able to jump in whenever he sees the thread as per the rules stated in the OP to keep it fair.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I went with 24 hours to give people the best chance to get their pick in, obviously real life stuff sometimes gets in the way. If it gets to 24 hours, the next person can be tagged and Muggsy will be able to jump in whenever he sees the thread as per the rules stated in the OP to keep it fair.

It is fair, but it is also a major drag to the draft.

I really hope that should muggsy26 miss his window he doesn't cause someone's plans to be wrecked if he jumps in just as another selection is made. But now all of us may have to begin having multiple plans if the window is missed as there could be a pick as planned or a jump up in position.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
It is fair, but it is also a major drag to the draft.

I really hope that should muggsy26 miss his window he doesn't cause someone's plans to be wrecked if he jumps in just as another selection is made. But now all of us may have to begin having multiple plans if the window is missed as there could be a pick as planned or a jump up in position.
He's before you in the draft. How would muggsy returning wreck your plans when he gets to select before you?

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
He's before you in the draft. How would muggsy returning wreck your plans when he gets to select before you?

I was not speaking for myself. What I am saying is that come the deadline every person below on the list basically moves up one spot in the draft which opens up more options than what they would have had, thus potentially changing peoples plans. Should he then appear randomly after the deadline, the person who is on the clock then could lose out on their option not because it was chosen before their turn, but was taken on their turn because they did not post fast enough.

Basically it turns the draft from an ordered process, to a shootout to see who can post the fastest. So the best option for everyone is for him to appear before the deadline and we progress as per normal, or to not appear until everyone else has selected for this round. Then there is no confusion over what options are on the table at any given second.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I was not speaking for myself. What I am saying is that come the deadline every person below on the list basically moves up one spot in the draft which opens up more options than what they would have had, thus potentially changing peoples plans. Should he then appear randomly after the deadline, the person who is on the clock then could lose out on their option not because it was chosen before their turn, but was taken on their turn because they did not post fast enough.

Basically it turns the draft from an ordered process, to a shootout to see who can post the fastest. So the best option for everyone is for him to appear before the deadline and we progress as per normal, or to not appear until everyone else has selected for this round. Then there is no confusion over what options are on the table at any given second.
Only the next person moves up is what I'm proposing. Once they make their selection it is locked in and the next person on the list is up. 24 hours is more than generous but if the delayed selector comes back they make their selection and the draft proceeds as normal.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Only the next person moves up is what I'm proposing. Once they make their selection it is locked in and the next person on the list is up. 24 hours is more than generous but if the delayed selector comes back they make their selection and the draft proceeds as normal.

I think that the person who missed their spot either has to say that they are back, not actually pick, and then take the slot that is next on the list after the current person who is on the clock picks. Then there is no butting in and the draft remains ordered. At the moment they can just show up and take their pick whenever and it counts. That makes it unfair for the person who is on the clock.

So for example, if lets say, the deadline does pass then the draft moves on and each person picks as if it is their turn, we then get to you at number 8, at that time the missed person appears, in my way of thinking they would have to say that they have realised that they missed their slot and are back, but then would have to wait for you to select and then they would get their next 24 hour period.

However as it stands if you are on the clock at number 8, the missed person can just appear and make their selection a second before you post and you then lose out on your pick if they happen to select the same. This is where I do not like the rule as it can throw off peoples plans just because someone cannot meet the draft selection time rule (and I do understand things happen outside of here, but still).

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I'll have to stick with the rules as laid out in the OP for fairness. If someone misses their pick, they can come back in and make it at any time. There are pros and cons to all options, waiting 24 hours doesn't kill us.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
waiting 24 hours doesn't kill us.

giphy.gif

Back