Worst AFL/VFL Snipes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he hit them from every direction. He certainly wasnt a sniper. He would take every opportunity at any time.
Bit like Campbell Brown. People mistake sniping for losing it and lashing out. An elbow here, an uppercut there pretty much how he went about it.

Tony Liberatore was a sniper. His punch to the face of Matty Knights in early 2001 was shocking. Guy is a complete gutter rat.

Biggest dog act I have ever seen waved through by the AFL.

Apparently it is legal to contest a ground ball with an elbow driven into an opponent’s face and knee driven into his midsection…..if you are Patrick Dangerfield. Stop in to 0:19 seconds and look at the position he is in. And 0:31 seconds.

Tony Liberatore was a sniper. His punch to the face of Matty Knights in early 2001 was shocking. Guy is a complete gutter rat.
Yep and I still remembered that image of Matty Knights having a fair bit of blood on his face when it happened too.

Matthew Knights didn't look like a dirty player in his playing days.

Yep and I still remembered that image of Matty Knights having a fair bit of blood on his face when it happened too.

Matthew Knights didn't look like a dirty player in his playing days.
Yep Knighta was purely a ball player. Did a quick check and couldn't find if he was ever suspended in his career, so I'm guessing not.

Liberatore got 5 weeks for the hit (was a punch to the face 100m off the ball). Nowadays it would be something like 10.

Apparently it is legal to contest a ground ball with an elbow driven into an opponent’s face and knee driven into his midsection…..if you are Patrick Dangerfield. Stop in to 0:19 seconds and look at the position he is in. And 0:31 seconds.

Surprising that it wasn't referred to the Tribunal so they could look at it in more detail. There's obviously a double action, although in real time it would be pretty much impossible to not make any contact. You'd think that because a player was knocked out by an opposition's player's elbow that it would at least be looked at.

Compare it to when Lynch got sent directly to the Tribunal for pushing Hurley in the chest. The actions/impacts are just worlds apart get Danger gets off 'Scott' free.

Trial by media is definitely a thing (see staging allegations for Vlas/Grimes), compared to some horrific staging by other players (Woodcock, Rozee...).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happened so quick mate. I'm not Dangerfield's biggest fan but I think you're being unfair here. I see why you would say it should have been referred to the tribunal, but that's about it. Dangerfield is a ball player and doesn't belong in this thread IMHO.

It looks more like a reflex action to protect himself than a deliberate hit to me.

It looks more like a reflex action to protect himself than a deliberate hit to me.

It is a reflex action you are not allowed to execute, at least during my 40+ years playing coaching and following footy. Just not allowed to have your forearm up to protect yourself from incoming traffic. And that knee action is also extremely dangerous. You are supposed to protect yourself with your hip and shoulder.

I don’t enjoy much about Dangerfield, but this has nothing to do with that. That is an extremely dangerous action top and bottom and he had alternatives and the result of it was plain to see. Might not be pre-meditated, but they were voluntary actions, nobody else made him do it.

It is a reflex action you are not allowed to execute, at least during my 40+ years playing coaching and following footy. Just not allowed to have your forearm up to protect yourself from incoming traffic. And that knee action is also extremely dangerous. You are supposed to protect yourself with your hip and shoulder.

I don’t enjoy much about Dangerfield, but this has nothing to do with that. That is an extremely dangerous action top and bottom and he had alternatives and the result of it was plain to see. Might not be pre-meditated, but they were voluntary actions, nobody else made him do it.
It was at worst a clumsy attempt to protect himself but there is no way it was done maliciously. I dislike Danger immensely but not because of this. He plays the ball pretty much all the time which I respect about him.

It was at worst a clumsy attempt to protect himself but there is no way it was done maliciously. I dislike Danger immensely but not because of this. He plays the ball pretty much all the time which I respect about him.

Well he plays the umpire just about as much as he plays the ball, which is one of the things I really disrespect about him. Happy to concede he is not a serial offender sniping wise, but he got this one very badly wrong. And the incorrect action starts a long way before he makes contact.

You obviously haven't watched much football if that is the biggest dog act you have seen not picked up. It happened so quickly and was more clumsy than deliberate.

Solid bump, if you pardon the expression

Found the dog act from Jim Edmond on Russell Morris I mentioned in this thread 4 and a half years ago, at 1:09:39. It's worse than I remember it.

Byron Pickett, close thread, dirty campaigner.

Solid bump, if you pardon the expression

Found the dog act from Jim Edmond on Russell Morris I mentioned in this thread 4 and a half years ago, at 1:09:39. It's worse than I remember it.

By memory, the ground attendants underlined the seriousness of the incident by flashing up the words "Cop that" on the electronic scoreboard.

I've never understood this. I'm guessing fans thinking this were either very young then or weren't around.

By the standards of 1989 what Ablett did wasn't unusual. If you dropped into the hole of a leading forward you could expect some contact. And you only need to watch the reaction of the other Hawthorn players who are all around Ablett. None of them remotely remonstrated, and remember that was a pretty physical game.

Neither mate. Perhaps someone can have a different opinion to you without you being condescending in response?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back