Magpies

FF Williams - Lord - Woodcock
HF Motlop - Georgiades - Mead, J
C Bonner - Drew - Mayes
HB Jones - Goldsack - Frederick
FB Lienert - Pasini - Garner
1R Hayes - Sutcliffe - Rockliff
Int Schofield - Farrell - Burgoyne, T
...............................................................................................................................................
Top ups confirmed: Aldridge - Westbrook - Surman - Weideman - Wildman
Top ups tbc: Corcoran? - Appleton? - Strange? - Samblich? - Smith? - Thornton? - plus 2 others
Potential draftees: one perhaps?
Don’t forget the Sanfl rule in 2019 of no more than 16 and leadership player can play. So must have 5 top ups.

Don’t forget the Sanfl rule in 2019 of no more than 16 and leadership player can play. So must have 5 top ups.
Yeah, I wasn't totally sure whether that applied to finals only to be honest?
Also whether the rules were altered (again) at the end of the 2020 season?
And does it get adjusted if the AFL side is still "active" in finals?

The point I was attempting to make with the two line ups was that we will have enough players to field two sides (barring no injuries). That includes our marquee player Sutcliffe.
And of course we will have injuries without a doubt to BOTH sides at times, so we shall need the full complement of contracted top ups (whether that is 10, 12, 15 or however many).

I think (not really sure) that we may also be able to list an unlimited number of un-contracted top ups, in the event of 20 (or more) players being ruled out with injury/suspension/attending funerals, etc across both sides, whom I'm assuming we will need to formally issue a contract to at the time required, in order to play them in the SANFL comp?

Almost universal agreement that we had too many one paced, slow inside mids - which clearly cost us dearly in the end.
So it has to be one of Ollie, Rocky or Travis that drops out, along with more midfield time for Butters and Rozee, to inject much needed speed into the midfield.

I happened to choose Rockliff. I saw him as depth, and we need to have him outsixe our best side if we are to improve the requisite amount to win a flag.
This might've been true at the start of last year but our big bodied mids were dominant together towards the end of last year. Wines and rocky in particular came home incredibly strongly.

I have asked before but haven't got an answer can we recruit under 18s from Victoria who didn't get drafted for the magpies?

I am sure I remember something being brought in back in 2019 not allowing us more that 17 afl players play at one time play. For the life of me though I cant find anything about it on the net so maybe i have imagined it.

I reckon it was talked about, but people were arguing that several AFL listed players wouldn’t get to play every week and the rest of the AFL’s reserves teams would get an advantage in that regard so it never happened.

I have asked before but haven't got an answer can we recruit under 18s from Victoria who didn't get drafted for the magpies?

Yeah we signed an undrafted kid from Gold Coasts Academy a couple years back who played 1 game. The problem is they’d be crossing over to get paid $200 a game.

Yeah we signed an undrafted kid from Gold Coasts Academy a couple years back who played 1 game. The problem is they’d be crossing over to get paid $200 a game.
I remember that if that is still the case we would be definitely looking at some kids you would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you remember at the end of the movie he made it through the academy and became a policeman.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

tenor.gif

DBJ McKenzie Jonas
Hartlett Aliir Burton

Duursma Wines Amon
Lycett Boak Rozee

Butters Georgiadies Fantasia
Gray Dixon Motlop

Houston SPP Ladhams Rocky

Close
Jones - Bergman - Clurey - Marshall - Woodcock - Williams (hopefully we see Hayes cement his name here this year)

Unpopular opinion i know, but Marshall isn't a lock for mine. Want him to be, but needs to step up now. The last spot in the side for now i gave to Motlop, which is a spot probably also being fought for by Marshall, Woodcock and Williams. If Marshall, probably has a big impact on how MG is used.

Clurey would definitely be the most stiff to miss-out, recon Mckenzie and he are probably fighting for the same spot with there not a heap between them and probably not enough space for both of them. At this point i personally probably have Mckenzie slightly ahead on last years form. Clurey id say a bit more suitable pure KPD however Mckenzie, who still performed rather well in that roll offers a lot more offensively. Either of the two will greatly benefit from having Aliir come in to the back 6.

DBJ McKenzie Jonas
Hartlett Aliir Burton

Duursma Wines Amon
Lycett Boak Rozee

Gray Dixon Motlop

Close
Jones - Bergman - Clurey - Marshall - Woodcock - Williams (hopefully we see Hayes cement his name here this year)

Unpopular opinion i know, but Marshall isn't a lock for mine. Want him to be, but needs to step up now. The last spot in the side for now i gave to Motlop, which is a spot probably also being fought for by Marshall, Woodcock and Williams. If Marshall, probably has a big impact on how MG is used.

Clurey would definitely be the most stiff to miss-out, recon Mckenzie and he are probably fighting for the same spot with there not a heap between them and probably not enough space for both of them. At this point i personally probably have Mckenzie slightly ahead on last years form. Clurey id say a bit more suitable pure KPD however Mckenzie, who still performed rather well in that roll offers a lot more offensively. Either of the two will greatly benefit from having Aliir come in to the back 6.
That's pretty much how I see it 👌

DBJ McKenzie Jonas
Hartlett Aliir Burton

Duursma Wines Amon
Lycett Boak Rozee

Gray Dixon Motlop

Close

Going to play Devil's Advocate here.

1. That backline only has one decent runner.
Hartlett and Jonas are strong and are leaders, but if we are going to turn around our awful defensive rebound stats (Ranked 17th in Rebound 50s Per Game) we need to rotate out one of them for a runner.
Also, Burton needs to show he can survive a season at full pace.
If we stick with the "win ruck and keep it forward" gameplan its not such an issue, but I get the feeling the AFL want more ad breaks and more scoring.
I think our inability to introduce defensive rebound once Richmond's rucks broke our Plan A had an effect on the prelim.

2. Happy with that midfield as long as Rozee has fully recovered.

3. I want a ruckman in that forward line instead of Motlop.
Gray is a great player but is moving into the Ablett zone.
We can't have both Gray's and Motlop's defenders easily covering other targets.
Whether it is Ladhams or Hayes, we need a third tall.
Also, I see Fantasia and Marshall competing for the one spot, lets see who wants it more.

SANFL - looks to me like we are still one tall defender shy of where we should be.

Last edited:
F: Fantasia Dixon Gray
HF: Butters Marshall Rozee
C: Duursma Wines Amon
HB: Houston Jonas Hartlett
B: Burton McKenzie Byrne-Jones

R: Lycett Boak Powell-Pepper

INT: Ladhams Rockliff Aliir Georgiades

Forward line still looks a little tall but it's hard to leave any of Dixon, Marshall, Ladhams and Georgiades out. Notable omissions are Clurey (I think he's behind Jonas, McKenzie and Aliir on the depth chart now) and Motlop (obviously potential best 22 but he is a week by week proposition for me). Jones, Williams, Bergman, etc, all pushing hard.

Going to play Devil's Advocate here.

1. That backline only has one decent runner.
Hartlett and Jonas are strong and are leaders, but if we are going to turn around our awful defensive rebound stats (Ranked 17th in Rebound 50s Per Game) we need to rotate out one of them for a runner.
Also, Burton needs to show he can survive a season at full pace.
If we stick with the "win ruck and keep it forward" gameplan its not such an issue, but I get the feeling the AFL want more ad breaks and more scoring.
I think our inability to introduce defensive rebound once Richmond's rucks broke our Plan A had an effect on the prelim.

2. Happy with that midfield as long as Rozee has fully recovered.

3. I want a ruckman in that forward line instead of Motlop.
Gray is a great player but is moving into the Ablett zone.
We can't have both Gray's and Motlop's defenders easily covering other targets.
Whether it is Ladhams or Hayes, we need a third tall.
Also, I see Fantasia and Marshall competing for the one spot, lets see who wants it more.

SANFL - looks to me like we are still one tall defender shy of where we should be.

Nothing wrong with playing devils advocate and being in a position where you can argue over how the best 22 comes together.

1 - Dont disagree with what your saying, i see both Bergman and Jones being close to coming in a proving that extra run, but i haven't seen enough of either of those two. Iwould say both DBJ and Burton provide good run (When Burton isn't getting injured that is). Whilst not providing that same run, Hartlett and McKenzie have the ball use to really help our rebound, but extra line breaking pace, run and carry would be nice.

Who knows, a red hot preseason from one of Jones/Bergman might put serious pressure of the half backs. That said its hard to see a fit Hartlett/Burton/Houston/DBJ not getting picked. Maybe someone up the ground misses out, but we are also seeing some serious competition for those spots.

2 - Fingers crossed.

3 - Ive got Ladhams on a bench who i see as well in the best 22 currently and definitely spends a fair bit of time forward. Don't read into me having Moltop named in a pocket and Ladhams on a bench, Mots was the last i picked and the least safe in my eyes.

I do think Motlop will be an interesting one this year, with Fantasia coming in, continued development from Woodcock and hopefully a fully fit Williams ready to debut Motlop will be playing for his spot every week. Thats not the first time we've seen a comment like that on here about Motlop, however we do have more pressure on this spot than we have had for a while.

Hartlett, Rockliff and McKenzie all on the edge imo. Hard to fit in all 3.

Gone with the quadraun of doom up forward. Also think it's a slow back 6 thus Bergman for that pace. Emrgancies are more cover for each possible Friday night gastro scenario rather than the next 4.

FB Byrne Jones Jonas McKenzie
HB Houston Alirr Burton
C Amon Boak Durrsma
HF Marshall Dixon Butters
FF Fantasia Georgiades Gray
1R Lycett Wines Rozee

Int Hartlett Bergman Ladhams Powell-Pepper

Emerg
Rockliff, Motlop, Hayes, Jones

Hartlett, Rockliff and McKenzie all on the edge imo. Hard to fit in all 3.

Gone with the quadraun of doom up forward. Also think it's a slow back 6 thus Bergman for that pace. Emrgancies are more cover for each possible Friday night gastro scenario rather than the next 4.

FB Byrne Jones Jonas McKenzie
HB Houston Alirr Burton
C Amon Boak Durrsma
HF Marshall Dixon Butters
FF Fantasia Georgiades Gray
1R Lycett Wines Rozee

Int Hartlett Bergman Ladhams Powell-Pepper

Emerg
Rockliff, Motlop, Hayes, Jones
Looks good to me. But would rather see SPP start and perhaps Marshall bench. Williams to be given a chance if Georgiades or Marshall injured or not quite in right form. Jones and Bergman could easily be interchanged depending on performances. Rockliff, Motlop Clurey will be under pressure to make best 22 and keep spot. Cannot wait to see Hayes play AFL.

Hoping the strategic thinkers in Schofield and Monts have plenty of voice as we deal with injuries and match ups. Too much talent on the list for a 2013-2019 one dimensional and stubborn Hinkley.

Looks good to me. But would rather see SPP start and perhaps Marshall bench. Williams to be given a chance if Georgiades or Marshall injured or not quite in right form. Jones and Bergman could easily be interchanged depending on performances. Rockliff, Motlop Clurey will be under pressure to make best 22 and keep spot. Cannot wait to see Hayes play AFL.

Hoping the strategic thinkers in Schofield and Monts have plenty of voice as we deal with injuries and match ups. Too much talent on the list for a 2013-2019 one dimensional and stubborn Hinkley.

Why didn't mention 2020 as a part of describing Hinkley as one dimensional and stubborn?

Gray Dixon Fantasia
Butters Marshall SPP
Amon Wines Dursma
DBJ Allir Houston
Jonas McKenzie Hartlett
Lycett Rozee Boak

Int: Lahdams Rocky Burton Motlop

This is our best mix to start I think but Marshall could easily be goargie and McKenzie could be Clurey.
Then we have a host of young talent chomping at the bit and alot will get a chance and will need to make the most of their opportunities.
Then we have Mayes , Lienert , Bonner , Farrell and Drew who could easily slot in somewhere when needed.
I'm so excited to see our 2019 crop get a chance and Jones who could play rnd 1 his ready to go.
The most interesting player for mine is Hayes people have high hopes for him I'm not quite sure yet time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back