Competitions 2021 Supercoach/AFL Fantasy Questions thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it's coming up to that time of year. My early look would have these players as pretty good options:

Premium:

Zach Merrett
Jordan Ridley
Dylan Shiel (Fantasy only)
Andrew McGrath

Mid-Price:

Mason Redman
Jye Caldwell
Sam Draper

Cheapies:

Nick Bryan (as an R3)
Archie Perkins
Harrison Jones

Darcy Parish, Dyson Heppell, Nik Cox will be "wait and see" for me.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Well it's coming up to that time of year. My early look would have these players as pretty good options:

Premium:

Zach Merrett
Jordan Ridley
Andrew McGrath

Mid-Price:

Mason Redman
Jye Caldwell
Sam Draper

Cheapies:

Nick Bryan (as an R3)
Archie Perkins
Harrison Jones

Doise will be a solid Supercoach option if fit.

Only priced at $319k or around a 66 average. His worst ever season is an 83 in his very first. So should be a good option for a trade-out during the Byes.

Big issue is there's a lot of midpricers. Caldwell is more expensive than Heppell for example, Brad Crouch is around $450k and has the potential to be a genuine premo keeper, and Sloane is only $470k and again, could be a keeper given past history (though I'm doubtful on Sloane).

Doise will be a solid Supercoach option if fit.

Only priced at $319k or around a 66 average. His worst ever season is an 83 in his very first. So should be a good option for a trade-out during the Byes.

Big issue is there's a lot of midpricers. Caldwell is more expensive than Heppell for example, Brad Crouch is around $450k and has the potential to be a genuine premo keeper, and Sloane is only $470k and again, could be a keeper given past history (though I'm doubtful on Sloane).
I know prices are out, but where do I get them without a paywall haha?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I know prices are out, but where do I get them without a paywall haha?

If you had SuperCoach Gold the team picker is already available.

For some reason we have an inordinate number of players available as Forwards.

a3abe11be3.png
e8a6e827a3.png
4aa3f971a2.png
06132d4cb6.png

If you had SuperCoach Gold the team picker is already available.

For some reason we have an inordinate number of players available as Forwards.

a3abe11be3.png
e8a6e827a3.png
4aa3f971a2.png
06132d4cb6.png
I don't, not serious enough to consider paying for it. Not going Ridley?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't, not serious enough to consider paying for it. Not going Ridley?

My team isn't finished yet, but at this point I don't think I'll start with him.

Think with the loss of Saad, and extended quarters I'd like to see how his scoring settles. Plus due to shorter quarters some players had their scores scaled up a fair bit, so there's a lot of unpredictability in the scores in my opinion.

My thoughts on the Top-10 defenders;

I think Laird is a lock, he's under-priced for that midfield role he was playing.

Longer quarters should suit Whitfield, so I think he can return to the ~110ish he was pulling, meaning he's under-priced.

I also like Luke McDonald, his second half of the season was outstanding and he's only priced at 95. He averaged 62 rounds 1 - 7, then 8 - 18 was 118 with a low score of 95. Assuming that role change sticks, he's well under-priced.

This gives me 3 x Premo defenders that I think offer some value.

I think Lloyd, Ryan, and Stewart are all priced around their expected output, so no real harm in waiting on them. Lloyd's ceiling being the only real concern, and that if 2020 form holds, he's unlikely to drop in price to get him cheap.

Maynard is a funny one, his scoring absolutely exploded in 2020, ~ 23 average higher than 2019. Not sure what I think of him yet.

Ridley, Daniel & Mills are a wait and see for me.

* Howe was averaging 120 but he's been discounted and sits at #16 on price. But ACL, so no.

Williams at Carlton is interesting, he's certainly got the game to go big if he's got the right role, but whether the Blues use him there full-time, who knows. He's at $458k which would make him around $100k under-priced if he gets back to the 101 average he had in 2019.

924fe37f78.png

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

Premium:

Zach Merrett
Jordan Ridley
Andrew McGrath

Mid-Price:

Mason Redman
Jye Caldwell
Sam Draper

Cheapies:

Nick Bryan (as an R3)
Archie Perkins
Harrison Jones

Draper has to be a lock as R2. Will score decently and allows you to go full premium in R1 and alot cash elsewhere

Guaranteed to start, will shoot up quick and upgrade to a premium mid season

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If I was to play this season, should I lock Perkins in? Or is he a "wait and see if he gets picked for Round 1" or a "get him before his price rise in Round 3"?

Like most rookies he’ll be a risk, but if he’s in the Round 1 side I think you take him. Usually the rule of thumb is have all playing rookies in Round 1 and hope most of them last long enough to make some cash.

Draper has to be a lock as R2. Will score decently and allows you to go full premium in R1 and alot cash elsewhere

Guaranteed to start, will shoot up quick and upgrade to a premium mid season

Pruess is cheaper, older, and hitting out to a better team. I’d take him before Draper if that was your plan.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Do you go a no hoper for R3 or someone that might play?

I think it’ll depend whether any of those dirt cheapies from North look like they’ll play. Comben is highly rated isn’t he? He’s a RUC / FWD so pair him with another DPP donut if possible maybe?

Usually rookie priced rucks don’t get a game but a cash cow R3 could be nice.

I think it’ll depend whether any of those dirt cheapies from North look like they’ll play. Comben is highly rated isn’t he? He’s a RUC / FWD so pair him with another DPP donut if possible maybe?

Usually rookie priced rucks don’t get a game but a cash cow R3 could be nice.
I used Cameron last year and it paid off when I traded him, Comben is a good shout. Maybe Bailey Williams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Howard Moon knows more about keeper leagues?

I've been toiling away in a keeper league for near on ten years I reckon, been 3 builds in that time, pretty sure GUMBLETRON in the same boat.

It's a big commitment (with huge rewards! Much more fun I reckon, very attached to my squad) but yeh, it kills everything if you get one ghost ship or someone wants to leave a year or 2 in, or even differing levels of care. Or when a team loads up for a flag then needs a build that the owner isn't in for...Really need to find ten or a dozen like-minded folk with similar motivation levels who can commit long term.

Easier said than done!

Need a decent spreadsheet keeper too , the platforms aren't always reliable or have the functions every league needs

I think UF is just about to die, but the new fantasy option looks interesting

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
I've been toiling away in a keeper league for near on ten years I reckon, been 3 builds in that time, pretty sure GUMBLETRON in the same boat.

It's a big commitment (with huge rewards! Much more fun I reckon, very attached to my squad) but yeh, it kills everything if you get one ghost ship or someone wants to leave a year or 2 in, or even differing levels of care. Or when a team loads up for a flag then needs a build that the owner isn't in for...Really need to find ten or a dozen like-minded folk with similar motivation levels who can commit long term.

Easier said than done!

Need a decent spreadsheet keeper too , the platforms aren't always reliable or have the functions every league needs

I think UF is just about to die, but the new fantasy option looks interesting
I've been in my keeper league for 5 years and only in 2020 started to win a few games. When I was invited to join, the team I was handed had been completely gutted so it required a total rebuild. The problem lies with coaches that trade out all their draft picks and reasonable depth players. Eventually the team gets very old and the players retire. The trading of teams needs to be carefully monitored by mods. I would be happy to help with spreadsheets.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been in my keeper league for 5 years and only in 2020 started to win a few games. When I was invited to join, the team I was handed had been completely gutted so it required a total rebuild. The problem lies with coaches that trade out all their draft picks and reasonable depth players. Eventually the team gets very old and the players retire. The trading of teams needs to be carefully monitored by mods. I would be happy to help with spreadsheets.

We had 2 blokes leave a few years back, had to pool all those teams players Into a minidraft plus they got pick of 2 players from each other squad (barring ten untouchables per team)

Lot of messing about to appease 2 new coaches!

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be keen to play anything Fantasy related. I play pretty much every year (except last year lol) and am always quite active.

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
We had 2 blokes leave a few years back, had to pool all those teams players Into a minidraft plus they got pick of 2 players from each other squad (barring ten untouchables per team)

Lot of messing about to appease 2 new coaches!
That sounds suspiciously similar to the league I am in.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There aren't that many rookie priced mids I like. Right now I have Phillips, O'Driscoll, Valente, Poulter and Davies. What have you guys gone?

Anyone starting R1 basically, until then it's a crapshoot. I usually just ram in a few of the higher priced ones as placeholders since you can then go down and save $$ once we see who's a likely starter.

Perkins is a chance imo, anyone drafted by North (Phillips & Powell) or Adelaide (Pedlar) as well. Macrae at Collingwood could start out on a wing too. Campbell at Sydney, Maginness at Hawks, Robertson at Brisbane, Bruhn at GWS (off a HBF potentially), Bianco at Collingwood, Cockatoo at Brisbane are all possibles. Plus anyone brought in during the SSP.

There's a few good midpricers through the midfield too; Heppell, Sloane, Rowell, Crouch (though I wouldn't take Sloane personally) so might end up going a little shallower on mid rookies and take more FWD / DEF depending on what teams look like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back