Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

14 positive tests at Villa, 10 players.
At some point, the premier league has to just plow on with whatever squad players are left to fulfill games. Can’t keep suspending games as there is nowhere to play them. Especially in Spurs case who are Villas next opponent

At some point, the premier league has to just plow on with whatever squad players are left to fulfill games. Can’t keep suspending games as there is nowhere to play them. Especially in Spurs case who are Villas next opponent
What would be the point as the comp would then become a lottery?

Mourinho isn’t wrong. If we progress deep in the competitions we are in then the schedule is jam packed, and that’s without what looks like 2 league match postponements.

His argument about saving costs that could be then put into the MHS is fair enough but the overall premise fails to read the room.

Vaccinating perfectly healthy elite athletes ahead of the vulnerable or elderly is hardly going to be well received by the public. Needs most basis needs to be applied.

Per the article I posted about Magennis, clearly some elite athletes are still reasonably vulnerable, and especially at the lower levels where until recently there wasn't widespread testing, these players were actually more vulnerable than the general public to catching it.

What would be the point as the comp would then become a lottery?

No different to teams having to play with half a team out with injuries. Or should we start letting teams ask for postponements when they have over a certain number of injuries too?

As compared to asking teams to play every 48 hours at the end of the season to squeeze everything in?
No they shouldn’t have to do that either. Comes a tipping point where too many games get postponed and fixture becomes too tight if season can’t be extended

No different to teams having to play with half a team out with injuries. Or should we start letting teams ask for postponements when they have over a certain number of injuries too?
Yet you call for lower leagues to be called off.

Yet you call for lower leagues to be called off.

Because they don't have the testing regimes. A player being out in the PL is isolated and not spreading it further. Players that have tested negative should still be able to play.

No they shouldn’t have to do that either. Comes a tipping point where too many games get postponed and fixture becomes too tight if season can’t be extended
For Spurs, I’d argue we have potentially arrived at that tipping point considering the friendly draw we have in the FA cup and Europa league next rounds ( cue upsets in both)

Because they don't have the testing regimes. A player being out in the PL is isolated and not spreading it further. Players that have tested negative should still be able to play.
Fair enough with lower league testing but I think with PL it’s a little different to injuries. Villa having ten out for one maybe two games would make it a lottery. Pure luck. Injuries don’t occur at that rate. You’re also possibly exposing young squad players that aren’t ready to say take on a full covid free opponent. Also you’re dealing with a deadly disease that can kill members of families etc. Naive to equate to injuries.

Fair enough with lower league testing but I think with PL it’s a little different to injuries. Villa having ten out for one maybe two games would make it a lottery. Pure luck. Injuries don’t occur at that rate. You’re also possibly exposing young squad players that aren’t ready to say take on a full covid free opponent. Also you’re dealing with a deadly disease that can kill members of families etc. Naive to equate to injuries.

Not really naive mate, I'm not talking about exposing people to the virus, I'm very specifically talking about when COVID cases are isolated, the rest of the squad can play. For example Soton played Liverpool last week despite McCarthy being positive. Is that a 'lottery' game? Soton won it. If there had been McCarthy and, say, Ward-Prowse who tested positive, the game still goes ahead? If three players? Seems a bit arbitrary to draw a line at a particular point and say 'this team gets to postpone because they have X + 1 positive cases but this team has to play because they only have X positive cases' isn't it?

Not really naive mate, I'm not talking about exposing people to the virus, I'm very specifically talking about when COVID cases are isolated, the rest of the squad can play. For example Soton played Liverpool last week despite McCarthy being positive. Is that a 'lottery' game? Soton won it. If there had been McCarthy and, say, Ward-Prowse who tested positive, the game still goes ahead? If three players? Seems a bit arbitrary to draw a line at a particular point and say 'this team gets to postpone because they have X + 1 positive cases but this team has to play because they only have X positive cases' isn't it?
Well yes it does become difficult. If you say 3 then why not 4 etc. NFL has found itself in similar situation. They’ve postponed a couple of games for a few days but they have no interest in postponing for longer than that. There’s been a couple of farcical games where team has been missing whole group of positional players and the games were a farce with practice squad players making up the numbers.

If that’s what the PL wants go ahead. What happens when Europe comp kicks off again and teams travel again? Those teams at a disadvantage? Whole team could come back positive. You could have farcical games every week. Is that the comp we want? And again though you may be exposing young players before they’re ready.

Well yes it does become difficult. If you say 3 then why not 4 etc. NFL has found itself in similar situation. They’ve postponed a couple of games for a few days but they have no interest in postponing for longer than that. There’s been a couple of farcical games where team has been missing whole group of positional players and the games were a farce with practice squad players making up the numbers.

If that’s what the PL wants go ahead. What happens when Europe comp kicks off again and teams travel again? Those teams at a disadvantage? Whole team could come back positive. You could have farcical games every week. Is that the comp we want? And again though you may be exposing young players before they’re ready.

Reckon most young players would be more than happy to get the chance to play in the PL even if they get belted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon most young players would be more than happy to get the chance to play in the PL even if they get belted.

Don’t agreed and you the rest of my post. If a particular region of the country has more cases then more chance those teams have of catching the disease. Geographic location could decide games. nothing like injuries

Don’t agreed and you the rest of my post. If a particular region of the country has more cases then more chance those teams have of catching the disease. Geographic location could decide games. nothing like injuries

The comparison to injuries was because the argument seems to be if a team is missing X number of players they can postpone. The only comparison to injuries was that they could miss the same number of players through injury and have to play so seems a bit of a poor threshold to use.

If the training ground has to be shut like with Newcastle then I think that's a better threshold.

I don’t think there is really much issue to exposing young players to experienced older players. This is limited contact soccer after all. If we were talking MMA or Boxing them that would be an issue.

Issue is is there any different a lottery to missing half your team with Covid vs playing against an opponent, 48 hours after there last game so they have to rest half there squad due to fatigue

Cancel the season and declare all potential league winners and promotion and relegation null and void.

It's the right, humane thing to do 😀😀😀

Is this more bait about Hull?

The FA and FIFA are a bunch of money grubbing aresholes. The stresses they are putting on players so they and the hanger's on can make doe is a f****ng disgrace. These pricks are showing exactly the kind of deluded mentality that politicians and their best mates, the money men, in pushing the line that Britain and Europe, not to mention the rest of the world, can "live with the coronavirus" and I am being kind to describe them as deluded. The probable truth is that they know that we can't "live with" this pathogen but to admit as much, would mean that they won't be making dosh NOW!

The daily new cases and the daily deaths are surging upwards in the UK as they are in the rest of the world. These are the world stats as of midnight GMT: Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 11.47.26 pm.png

As is clearly indicated, from the 22nd of January, 2020, up to and including the 12th of January, 2021, the daily cases and the death rate is going up and the measures put in place are not controlling the virus - it is continuing to have a devastating effect on people all over the world.

As sad as this is and I don't want to be the barer of further bad news, the manufacturers of the Pfizer/BioNTech, Oxford/AstraZeneca and the Novavax vaccines, the three major vaccines, have NOT stated in any way that any of these vaccines prevent people from contracting or transmitting Covid-19 and there is no evidence at present from elsewhere that they do, only that they are very confident that these vaccines will help alleviate the symptoms if you contract this coronavirus. This has not stopped the politicians, the money men and the bean counters from pushing the idea that once you are vacinated, you are safe from the virus and what we are seeing, are people behaving as if we are about to beat this virus.

The propagandists have already started to play for extra time when, in all likelihood, even after the majority of the population has been vaccinated but the spread of the virus and the death rate has not slowed down appreciably, let alone been defeated, these mongrels are now bring the term "herd immunity" back into the conversation as if it's going to take time for the "herd immunity" to build up, "kick in". This is fanciful and we have the evidence because of the criminal experiment carried out by the bourgeois/green alliance in Sweden. We also have substantial data stating that this type of "herd immunity" codswallop as initially practice by the Boris Johnson Government failed miserably!

The only way to defeat this virus is to do what we did when the Spanish Flu, which originated in Nebraska, USA and was brought to Europe by American soldiers but that's another story, the only way we are going to defeat this coronavirus is do what we did with the Spanish flu; that is, Identify, Seperate and Isolate. Unfortunately, the money markets and the rabid capitalist world we live in and the men and women who protect it as if it we a living breathing thing, would rather see human beings sufferring and dying so long as money keeps on being made.

I know these are the Association Football pages and politics shouldn't be brought into these pages but what the FA and FIFA and all the Football Associations the world over are doing has nothing to do with what's in the best interests of football and most importantly, the players who put the show on; nah, it's all about raking in the doe and that is purely political - just pure, unadulterated capitalism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back