Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
I would have preferred the end of the series to be a revelation about 'The Burn' which was the underlying story arc of season 3. To return to all the crap of season 1 was super disappointing. I agree, they need to dial down all the emotional stuff too, which just encourages overacting.
Not sure that was the end of season. Agreed if it is. The burn is obviously the main story arc of the season.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Was that the season finale? Seems like it must be with Christmas on Friday but maybe not?

Last ep was 11 of 13 for the season. It's released on the CBS version of Netflix so it doesn't follow the regular tv schedule.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
This show is really trying my patience, first off all that mirror universe stuff seemed completely superfluous (I fast forwarded nearly all of it) and why do we have to constantly have overwrought emotional scenes that go on forever? We had two of the bloody things this week, all I can hope for now I guess is that the next one is because Tilly has been killed off. That alone would improve the show markedly
This season has a lot of unearned emotion. The send-off given to Georgiou wasn’t justified by the groundwork laid out. Also, Ensign Tilley being made first officer and then acting captain is one of those utterly absurd moments that take me out of a series. That’s not how it works, you have to earn promotion. Is there no one there with more experience able to step in?

Otherwise, pretty good season overall, couple of filler episodes but I like the main arc.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Think it was a solid season, strong start, but somewhat squibbed the ending. The takeover of the ship is a well worn trope. It was exciting enough at times but went over the top with the action movie one liners, bait-and-switches, and wasn’t original. I also think the cause of the burn was ill-explained and underwhelming. The reveal of Su’Kaal’s monster was painfully obvious and lacked any punch.

Generally liked it but think the season two storyline was ultimately more interesting and concluded better.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hmm, I though it was a pretty underwhelming season to be honest. It's a solid cast and a well produced show but geez it feels like the writers have dropped the ball. The overarching story feels barely fleshed out and poorly connected between episodes.

Also some really weird character decisions (like Tilly's role - she's smart but Jesus Christ she panics immediately about any situation and shouldn't be in charge of anything).

I thought it was a good season finale. I think one of the pitfalls for shows like Star Trek is that if they try to stay true to the original material then people think it outlandish and boring - remember the original show had Gods and mysticism and magical elements to it and when we got strands of that last season people didn't like it. Or we get episodic 'bottle episodes' which we got a bit this season.

Or they go too far in the other direction and make it a more modern show and people push back because it feels inauthentic like we got in S1.

I personally really enjoyed S3 for what it was, which was essentially a course correction and bringing the show more in line with what classic Trek was about. Going from planet to planet, exploring concepts and cultural elements. There was an over-arching strand of plot for those that needed that sort of thing, and it was resolved adequately in the finale, but the adventures and stories along the way was what kept me coming back and I enjoyed it for that. Bring on S4.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Thought it was the biggest load of garbage ST have ever pushed out.
  • Making Ensign Tilly (who would be over-promoted as head-janitor) to First Officer was just plain stupid. The writers lost me for the season as soon as they pulled that piece of monumental stupidity.
  • The amount of time wasted expositing, when they're running out of oxygen...
  • Dumping the core, for no apparent reason (given that they were just going to spore-jump out of there anyway).
  • Don't get me started on the lieutenant's ability to continue vigorously exercising while holding her breath for an extended period of time.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
They dumped the warp core to destroy the Veridian ship, so I didn't mind that.
I agree that making an Ensign the first officer was bad, but I can see why the writers chose her. At least promote the girl to a commander rank.
I liked this better than the first two seasons because I thought it actually returned more to the Star Trek I know and love and dialed back the overacting. Given that I hated the first two seasons, even an underwhelming third that is more like Star Trek is better than nothing.

It might've been nice to hear that Earth was considering rejoining the Federation at the end. Not just the Vulcans.

They dumped the warp core to destroy the Veridian ship, so I didn't mind that.
I agree that making an Ensign the first officer was bad, but I can see why the writers chose her. At least promote the girl to a commander rank.
I liked this better than the first two seasons because I thought it actually returned more to the Star Trek I know and love and dialed back the overacting. Given that I hated the first two seasons, even an underwhelming third that is more like Star Trek is better than nothing.

And hopefully as they find their rhythm the next few seasons will be even better. Sounds like they're aiming to do S4 and 5 together presumably for risk mitigation with COVID so will be interesting to see if they go for a broader arc over the two seasons. The way this season ended it certainly seemed like a potential return to frontiering.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought it was the biggest load of garbage ST have ever pushed out.
  • Making Ensign Tilly (who would be over-promoted as head-janitor) to First Officer was just plain stupid. The writers lost me for the season as soon as they pulled that piece of monumental stupidity.
  • The amount of time wasted expositing, when they're running out of oxygen...
  • Dumping the core, for no apparent reason (given that they were just going to spore-jump out of there anyway).
  • Don't get me started on the lieutenant's ability to continue vigorously exercising while holding her breath for an extended period of time.
Bit harsh, but I absolutely agree with making Tilley first officer. That's not how chain of command works. I had the same issue with the end of the first rebooted Star trek movie. Kirk goes from cadet to captain because he performed well in a crisis? Come the * on. It's the kind of move that pulls me right out of a movie or show.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
A lot of the show is so forced, as if they think that of course the audience would just love to see Tilly in command of a spaceship.

She was a Captain in the Terran universe, so I guess the writers thought that may please the Discovery fans. But it is completely unrealistic to the Federation universe in general that an ensign would be promoted to First Officer because they have to do officer training to even be considered for a promotion. It would've been more realistic if one of the other senior officers did it, or one was assigned by the Admiral.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
She was a Captain in the Terran universe, so I guess the writers thought that may please the Discovery fans. But it is completely unrealistic to the Federation universe in general that an ensign would be promoted to First Officer because they have to do officer training to even be considered for a promotion. It would've been more realistic if one of the other senior officers did it, or one was assigned by the Admiral.
Tilly would be over-promoted as head janitor. Literally any of the other officers would have been more appropriate than her.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's well behind DS9 and TNG, for mine, ahead of Voyager and Enterprise. I've enjoyed the serial nature of it, but it's inconsistent and has never been quite able to find its own voice and style.

Never got the dislike for Voyager. Great cast that worked well together. Even though it’s now known behind the scenes some weren’t happy.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Never got the dislike for Voyager. Great cast that worked well together. Even though it’s now known behind the scenes some weren’t happy.
DS9 changed the template and it looked like Voyager would create its own, having a crew 'at war' with itself. But the potential was quickly abandoned and it became a TNG clone. I also never warmed to the cast, in part because the rough edges were quickly smoothed out of all the interesting characters.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
DS9 changed the template and it looked like Voyager would create its own, having a crew 'at war' with itself. But the potential was quickly abandoned and it became a TNG clone. I also never warmed to the cast, in part because the rough edges were quickly smoothed out of all the interesting characters.

The biggest stuff up was changing the “Year from Hell” from a season long arc to a two parter.

The biggest stuff up was changing the “Year from Hell” from a season long arc to a two parter.
That year from hell would have been such a great platform for crisis of conscious with Voyager having to raid other stranded ships for supplies knowing they will die because of it - having to put morals and ethics aside like Sisko did when times get desperate.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd checked out before that, though. There should have been conflict between them throughout, but instead they all get behind the goals of getting their the 'right way' quite quickly, Chakotay quickly became a standard first officer, Paris a regular crew member, Neelix light relief rather than a straggler who survived on his own wits. It just settled into a familiar Star Trek form.

Back