hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Well that depends on the 2021 draft. Breaks down in 2022-2023 and we have his replacement waiting in the wings? Well Smith breaking down is not a big problem. It is if we plan on Smith being in the best 22 until the end of his contract, and don't want to acknowledge his career is winding down.

This is no Sloane to 2023 where it is looking very dicey outside of being a good person to eat up cap space.
I'd suspect money isn't huge either, given he's a local lad signing this early in his FA year.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Debatable

If you're going to accuse me of being wrong a lot how about giving some examples.

I'll give some examples of when I was right:

1)Gibbs (multiple times)
2)Betts
3)Jenkins
4)Walker
5)Brad Crouch compensation

I'd suspect money isn't huge either, given he's a local lad signing this early in his FA year.

It probably isn't, but there is certainly value in an above average contract here. After all, we need to meet the cap floor and its better to do that by overpaying a vet. then it is by spreading it out.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
It's three years after this one. So four more seasons. Feels a bit long but hopefully that means it was cheaper.

He *should* be one of our prime movers but even prior to the knee hadn't quite made that jump from good player to that quality week-in-week-out senior player that the best clubs have.

The good thing is that he seems to have regained his agility and speed. Kicking penetration seemed fractionally off last season? Hopefully that returns as it is his point of difference.

Who plays HBF is an interesting discussion. A few in the queue

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
If you're going to accuse me of being wrong a lot how about giving some examples.

I'll give some examples of when I was right:

1)Gibbs (multiple times)
2)Betts
3)Jenkins
4)Walker
5)Brad Crouch compensation
Predicting that negative outcomes will manifest at the Adelaide Crows is pretty low hanging fruit dude.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Predicting that negative outcomes will manifest at the Adelaide Crows is pretty low hanging fruit dude.

I'm not claiming I'm a genius.

But saying I'm "a broken clock" is hardly apt if I'm right fairly often is it?

Despite what many think I actually wish I was wrong on my negativity. I'd much rather support a successful club than be right on a forum.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It probably isn't, but there is certainly value in an above average contract here. After all, we need to meet the cap floor and its better to do that by overpaying a vet. then it is by spreading it out.

... the Cap floor? Well given we were hitting the ceiling of the cap last year and still have Gibbs and Tex draining contract space this year I don't think that's a risk.

If you think we're anywhere near the minimum cap spend you're just way off base.

Furthermore even IF it was true, overpaying a Vet who isn't a core player for our next premiership attempt is pretty much the worse way to spend it. It should be invested aggressively in our future stars on long, front loaded contracts.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'm not claiming I'm a genius.

But saying I'm "a broken clock" is hardly apt if I'm right fairly often is it?

Despite what many think I actually wish I was wrong on my negativity. I'd much rather support a successful club than be right on a forum.
I'm also pretty negative about the club but coming into a thread where a long serving player has been given a well earned extension and quibbling over 1 year on a contract is a bit much. You don't seem like a person who'd be fun at parties.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
By and large he's been a durable player, and a pretty consistent performer. 3 years is 1 too many IMO, but likely to be a low money year if he's fallen out of favour

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm also pretty negative about the club but coming into a thread where a long serving player has been given a well earned extension and quibbling over 1 year on a contract is a bit much. You don't seem like a person who'd be fun at parties.

Well again this is where we disagree. you say "well earned" but if we're going to become a top club we can't be giving out contracts based on the length a player has already served us.. that is what has got us in the situation we are in with Mackay (now obviously Smith is a MUCH better player than Mackay).

Contracts should be given out based on what is in the long term best interest of the club and ALWAYS about putting us one step closer to a premiership. You tell me how a gifted extra year gets us closer to a premiership.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Contracts should be given out based on what is in the long term best interest of the club and ALWAYS about putting us one step closer to a premiership. You tell me how a gifted extra year gets us closer to a premiership.
I doubt an extra year on Smith's contract has any impact there, unfortunately for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt an extra year on Smith's contract has any impact there, unfortunately for us.

Really? that extra money wouldn't allow us to give a bit of front loading to another player which would then have us in a slightly different salary cap position down the road when we're in premiership contention?

Because losing players by being outbid by other clubs was one of the things that dismantled us not too long ago.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Really? that extra money wouldn't allow us to give a bit of front loading to another player which would then have us in a slightly different salary cap position down the road when we're in premiership contention?

Because losing players by being outbid by other clubs was one of the things that dismantled us not too long ago.
We don't know what kind of offers Smith was getting, we don't know how much value the coaches place on keeping an experienced head around for a rebuild, we obviously can't make decisions based on hypothetical future injuries, we don't know what money he's on and we don't know if his contract is heavily front loaded or not. I'd say with the info we have, it's pretty hard to make a definitive call on this deal either way.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Well again this is where we disagree. you say "well earned" but if we're going to become a top club we can't be giving out contracts based on the length a player has already served us.. that is what has got us in the situation we are in with Mackay (now obviously Smith is a MUCH better player than Mackay).

Out of curiosity, do you think that the length of contract for Smithers is too long as those also coming off contract in Crouch and Laird will also stay as well?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

... the Cap floor? Well given we were hitting the ceiling of the cap last year and still have Gibbs and Tex draining contract space this year I don't think that's a risk.

If you think we're anywhere near the minimum cap spend you're just way off base.

Furthermore even IF it was true, overpaying a Vet who isn't a core player for our next premiership attempt is pretty much the worse way to spend it. It should be invested aggressively in our future stars on long, front loaded contracts.

We've shredded a lot of cap space in the past two years and we needed to retain Gibbs on our list to even get close this year. If we're not near the floor now, we're never ever going to be near it. The difference between the top and the bottom isn't much after all.

Regardless, we're in a rebuild and in a rebuild you are much better paying your veterans then you are spreading your cap, after all, paying your veterans means you can guarantee cap space is free for when you are a legitimate chance to attract future stars, seeing that comes at the end of a rebuild, not during. They aren't willingly going to come to a s**t show, no matter how much money and security you throw at them.

All well and good saying "oh we should be targeting future stars" but don't let your brain fall out of your ears. We're nowhere near that stage, and we won't be in a position to be attractive until 2022-2023 at the earliest.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We've shredded a lot of cap space in the past two years and we needed to retain Gibbs on our list to even get close this year. If we're not near the floor now, we're never ever going to be near it. The difference between the top and the bottom isn't much after all.

Regardless, we're in a rebuild and in a rebuild you are much better paying your veterans then you are spreading your cap, after all, paying your veterans means you can guarantee cap space is free for when you are a legitimate chance to attract future stars, seeing that comes at the end of a rebuild, not during. They aren't willingly going to come to a sh*t show, no matter how much money and security you throw at them.

All well and good saying "oh we should be targeting future stars" but don't let your brain fall out of your ears. We're nowhere near that stage, and we won't be in a position to be attractive until 2022-2023 at the earliest.

Again, paying vets that aren't core is the WORST way to spend cap during a rebuild.

You front load contracts of the young players who are going to be part of your core group for your next premiership.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Regardless, we're in a rebuild and in a rebuild you are much better paying your veterans then you are spreading your cap, after all, paying your veterans means you can guarantee cap space is free for when you are a legitimate chance to attract future stars, seeing that comes at the end of a rebuild, not during. They aren't willingly going to come to a sh*t show, no matter how much money and security you throw at them.

IIRC each club is required to pay 97% of the TPP ......we have freed up cap space, we are front loading contracts to meet the TPP requirements ....these arrangements would already have been in place B4 Gibbs retirement

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
IIRC each club is required to pay 97% of the TPP ......we have freed up cap space, we are front loading contracts to meet the TPP requirements ....these arrangements would already have been in place B4 Gibbs retirement
Ahah! The Tippett Warchest!

Front load all the current contracts and next year we could have enough space for Ablett!

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
If we're still scraping around the bottom 4 in a few years, we will have to pay massive overs to lure players here. Could be a good while before we're at a point where we can trade in established players without getting ripped off. I really don't want to be one of those teams that consistently sucks ass and then expects fans to stick around because they traded in a superstar on good coin who's going to make it all better somehow.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully this simplifies it?

Should we not have Smith a 3 year deal if we are giving deals that are that length or longer to Laird or Crouch?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laird and Matt Crouch are both:

1)younger
2)more important players
3)Better players
4)In positions we have less of an abundance of young talent in.

I fully support longer contracts for both those players you mention.

Smith I'd be happy to let go for the 3rd round compensation pick we'd likely get from free agency for him. Gives us a chance to reinvest in youth and gives our existing young players that are competing for the same spot a chance to learn at the top level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back