Greatest Dynasty of the 21st century - Lions vs Cats vs Hawks vs Tigers

Which dynasty is the greatest?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, agreed. That was the key point.

Fair call. Seven consecutive Prelims I reckon just shades the additional Grand Final.

But both comfortably ahead of Adelaide.
Seems pretty identical in terms of achievements

Flags and GF's same.

North made finals 8 in a row and 7 prelims in a row

WC finals 10 in a row, 5 prelims in a row* and then semis the following 3 years.

I don't remember the 90's too well; especially the early 90's as I was a young fella. I do remember Carey taking good advantage of Pagan's Paddock though.

I'm of that old school belief that footy was funner to watch back then, more on-on-one contests and more regular displays of skill, albeit by lesser athletes and at a slower pace. The skill level probably wasn't better, just had more opportunities to be put on display because of the game style.

*I'm counting 93 when they finished 4th in the 6 team finals series, which is equivalent to North getting thrashed in a prelim or two, later in the 90's when there were two prelims.

Last edited:
I'm of that old school belief that footy was funner to watch back then, more on-on-one contests and more regular displays of skill, albeit by lesser athletes and at a slower pace. The skill level probably wasn't better, just had more opportunities to be put on display because of the game style.
I couldn't agree more on this.

I have mates carry on about how skills have declined significantly since the 90's, and I watch and coach a lot of junior footy and assure them there is so much more talent around nowadays than when we were all juniors, but nowadays (at every level) they run harder for longer, tackle more regularly, the game is more enclosed - it is just a very different game. Kids are certainly 'coached' more nowadays than when I was a kid, as a result of more structured development pathways, and whilst that is good for most there are some for which it doesn't suit.

Or alternatively, Geelong made the other contenders look ordinary...

Geelong were certainly a class above ... or 3 x classes above. But 2-4th had percentages of 109-113%. Port had the 10th best defence .... terrible credentials for a grand finalist.

So 2007 now goes in as the easiest flag of all dynasty flags. I thought it was Tigers of 2019, but Tigers had to beat 2nd placed Bris away, first placed Cats then GWS.

Cats had to beat a very weak 4th placed Kangas team, a 6th placed Collingwood team who won 13-games and had a percentage of 100%, then Port.

Geelong would have beaten almost anyone (although did almost lose prelim), but flags don’t come any easier than 2007.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geelong were certainly a class above ... or 3 x classes above. But 2-4th had percentages of 109-113%. Port had the 10th best defence .... terrible credentials for a grand finalist.

So 2007 now goes in as the easiest flag of all dynasty flags. I thought it was Tigers of 2019, but Tigers had to beat 2nd placed Bris away, first placed Cats then GWS.

Cats had to beat a very weak 4th placed Kangas team, a 6th placed Collingwood team who won 13-games and had a percentage of 100%, then Port.

Geelong would have beaten almost anyone (although did almost lose prelim), but flags don’t come any easier than 2007.

But, but, but, 2017-2020 were weak years….😂😂

You wanna remind yourself why Geelong had an easy road that year?

Go on, you can do it

Say it slowly:

Because Geelong were good enough to consistently win footy games.

Geelong finished on top.

If Geelong had finished 3rd like Richmond, they would've travelled interstate too.

I thought it was Tigers of 2019, but Tigers had to beat 2nd placed Bris away (who hadn't won a final since 2009, and have won one from four finals over the course of 2019/20), first placed Cats (who had already been touched up by 4th place Collingwood in the Qualifying Final, home ground advantage during home and away, yada yada yada) then (sixth placed) GWS (who had snuck through their previous two finals by under a goal).
Edited for accuracy...

You wanna remind yourself why Geelong had an easy road that year?

Go on, you can do it

Say it slowly:

Because Geelong were good enough to consistently win footy games.

Geelong finished on top.

If Geelong had finished 3rd like Richmond, they would've travelled interstate too.

Ok... I’ll ask this question slowly ..... provide me a weaker 3 x top-4 teams than greeted the Cats of 2007 in the dynasty years. Port, Eagles & Kangas. Percentages of 109-113%. Kangas in 4th on 56 points.

If it was Richmond of 2017 playing in that season we would have finished clear on top as well so weak were 2-4th.

Provide me a weaker ‘other 3’ top-4 teams .... please do it slowly

Edited for accuracy...

Brisbane were almost unbeatable at the GABBA, had beaten top placed Geelong there 3-weeks prior and 10-0 all-time in fjnals. They are something like 19-2 there over 2019/20. Hardly a walk in the park. (But I do like the way you are coming around to history playing a part in the current season by referencing not having won a final since 2009 .... nice ! - although having not won a final for 16 years didn’t seem to affect the young Tigers of 2017

And I think top of the ladder Cats had 13-win Pies or 14-win Kangas from 2007 well covered. Pies had a percentage of 100% ... 🤣 🤣🤣

Brisbane were almost unbeatable at the GABBA, had beaten top placed Geelong there 3-weeks prior and 10-0 all-time in fjnals. They are something like 19-2 there over 2019/20. Hardly a walk in the park. (But I do like the way you are coming around to history playing a part in the current season by referencing not having won a final since 2009 .... nice ! - although having not won a final for 16 years didn’t seem to affect the young Tigers of 2017

And I think top of the ladder Cats had 13-win Pies or 14-win Kangas from 2007 well covered. Pies had a percentage of 100% ... 🤣 🤣🤣

But it only counts when it shows Geelong as the best dynasty Noidnad. 😂

Home and away games count for everything on this thread apparently….until Richmond smash Brisbane in Brisbane in a final at a venue where the Lions are in the middle of winning 19 of 20 home and away matches across two seasons, and 17 in succession. Then they count for nothing. 😂😂😂. Because a team who won three Premierships in four seasons was not good enough to qualify for a home final apparently. 🤪🤪

These clowns are hilarious. 😂😂

Ok... I’ll ask this question slowly ..... provide me a weaker 3 x top-4 teams than greeted the Cats of 2007 in the dynasty years. Port, Eagles & Kangas. Percentages of 109-113%. Kangas in 4th on 56 points.

If it was Richmond of 2017 playing in that season we would have finished clear on top as well so weak were 2-4th.

Provide me a weaker ‘other 3’ top-4 teams .... please do it slowly

Eagles cruelled by injury, limped to the line. A healthy West Coast with Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Cox versus Geelong is the grand final we deserved.

But it only counts when it shows Geelong as the best dynasty Noidnad.

Home and away games count for everything on this thread apparently….until Richmond smash Brisbane in Brisbane in a final at a venue where the Lions are in the middle of winning 19 of 20 home and away matches across two seasons, and 17 in succession. Then they count for nothing. . Because a team who won three Premierships in four seasons was not good enough to qualify for a home final apparently. 🤪🤪

These clowns are hilarious.

Yeah .... quality of the opposition was vital when reviewing the Cats flags .... then a little bit of digging reveals 2007 was by far the lowest quality competition of any dynasty flag.

I’ll remind you again ... Cats played the 6th placed Pies in a prelim who were 13-9 with a percentage of 100%.... and scraped in by 6-points. In the first final played 4th placed Kangas who were 14-8 with percentage of 109%. Genuine gimmes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah .... quality of the opposition was vital when reviewing the Cats flags .... then a little bit of digging reveals 2007 was by far the lowest quality competition of any dynasty flag.

I’ll remind you again ... Cats played the 6th placed Pies in a prelim who were 13-9 with a percentage of 100%.... and scraped in by 6-points. In the first final played 4th placed Kangas who were 14-8 with percentage of 109%. Genuine gimmes.

Yes but almost lost the Pies game….purely because they were forced to play at the MCG. 🤪

Was this the same Richmond who were 6-5 away from the MCG?

The same Richmond who lost 3 games to teams outside the 8?

Remind me...was this the same Richmond who lost 4 in a row?

The same Richmond who lost by 76 against Adelaide, 16.14 to 4.1 after quarter time?

Wait.... wasn't this the Richmond who managed to kick one goal in a half against a Saints (who were in the middle of a 9 year stretch without finals) and found themselves 82 points down at the half?

You think that Richmond would finish clear on top, do you? 🧐

Right.

As opposed to Richmond who played the 13-9 GWS in the Grand Final, and was actually knocked out by a 15-7 Collingwood? Not just knocked out. Smashed.

Just FYI the combined record of Richmond’s GF opponents has been 40-20-1.

Geelong's? 72-16.

With 3 of those losses genuine dead rubbers when they were already guaranteed the minor premiership.

Just a hint. Don't bother playing the numbers game with Richmond vs Geelong. You'll lose hard, every time, as Meteoric Rise has been finding out for 116 pages.

Just be honest. Just say "I believe, in my heart of hearts, that Richmond is the greatest!".

Or keep trying other arguments.

But stay away from the numbers. The data. The stats. They won't work for you.

But I do like the way you are coming around to history playing a part in the current season by referencing not having won a final since 2009 .... nice ! - although having not won a final for 16 years didn’t seem to affect the young Tigers of 2017
You guys have to make up your mind.

Are historical finals records a factor, or are they not?

Because you do seem to pick and choose...

Can you now please do a similar analysis for 2009 and 2011, using the same rationale?

Was this the same Richmond who were 6-5 away from the MCG?

The same Richmond who lost 3 games to teams outside the 8?

Remind me...was this the same Richmond who lost 4 in a row?

The same Richmond who lost by 76 against Adelaide, 16.14 to 4.1 after quarter time?

Wait.... wasn't this the Richmond who managed to kick one goal in a half against a Saints (who were in the middle of a 9 year stretch without finals) and found themselves 82 points down at the half?

You think that Richmond would finish clear on top, do you? 🧐

Right.
He has already acknowledged mathematics isn't his strength.

Possibly the only accurate comment he's made in this thread...

As opposed to Richmond who played the 13-9 GWS in the Grand Final, and was actually knocked out by a 15-7 Collingwood? Not just knocked out. Smashed.

Just FYI the combined record of Richmond’s GF opponents has been 40-20-1.

Geelong's? 72-16.

With 3 of those losses genuine dead rubbers when they were already guaranteed the minor premiership.

Just a hint. Don't bother playing the numbers game with Richmond vs Geelong. You'll lose hard, every time, as Meteoric Rise has been finding out for 116 pages.

Just be honest. Just say "I believe, in my heart of hearts, that Richmond is the greatest!".

Or keep trying other arguments.

But stay away from the numbers. The data. The stats. They won't work for you.

Yeah Noidnad, stay away from home and away numbers with the Cats. Best home and away dynasty ever. 😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back