2021 Freo Predictions

88mph

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am not vey optimistic about finals. But we really have to make it. As long as we still have Fyfe and Walters at top level. And we don't want to get caught in the treadmill of rebuilding and rebuilding...

We missed finals by 1 game in 2020.

We have more players available, more seasons into the young kids.

Season of new game plan under the belt.

We will make finals.

J Docker

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

We will make finals.
Need to kick more than 50 points a game, which I'm still not convinced we can do yet

J Docker

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kicked more than 50 7 times last year. Those were also shorter games.
We also kicked under 50 points in 8 games so check mate I win.

Nevertheless, need to kick a shitload more on a consistent basis if we're to push for the flag, which is why we play, correct? And we're down one key forward from last year so please enlighten me

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts

Nevertheless, need to kick a shitload more on a consistent basis if we're to push for the flag, which is why we play, correct? And we're down one key forward from last year so please enlighten me
What? You said you weren't convinced we could kick over 50, but we did in almost half the games we played. You don't win anything. That's not how chess works. We kicked 99 vs North.

Hogan kicked 0.7 goals per game in the 7 games he played. How ever will we recover.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Need to kick more than 50 points a game, which I'm still not convinced we can do yet
Kicked more than 50 7 times last year. Those were also shorter games.

LOL Onya bike m8.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

We will make finals.
There's a real 2012 feel for me about this season. Young hungry squad with a new coaching panel. I can almost taste finals again.

Strap yourselves in.

J Docker

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
What? You said you weren't convinced we could kick over 50, but we did in almost half the games we played. You don't win anything. That's not how chess works. We kicked 99 vs North.

Hogan kicked 0.7 goals per game in the 7 games he played. How ever will we recover.
Kicking 99 points against Norf is nothing to brag about mate.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
I have no idea. I know I am feeling upbeat but that is the usual condition for a Docko supporter when the football is actually not being played. Best time of year.

I also agree with sentiments being expressed about how this has a 2012 vibe to it. (That is, of course, nearly a decade ago - a fact which melts my tiny mind.)

At least 2 teams leave the 8 every year. A, not "the," question is "How are we are placed to be one of the 2 that go in?"

Great back 7. Better than average midfield. Forward line a bit better than serviceable but it's more about how long we take to get the pill in there. I think we began working on short-kick ball movement, targets running to the ballcarrier to open more options, from the backline and what that meant was by the time we got forward of centre, the options were covered.

Slightly faster entry and better leading patterns from the forwards - not three talls all running to the same spot - and we will improve by 20 points a game easy-peasy.

Will that be enough? Sextoy Pinocchio.

Realistic me: 9th to 11th
Hopeful me: 8th to 10th
Doig: Brayshaw
Goals: Tabernator
Rising Star: Young - as in winning the bloody thing, not just a nomination
Riser: Tucker
Best 1st YP: Cyclone Treacy

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
I think we win between 10 and 14, which probably translates to anything between 5th and 11th. Would be very disappointed with fewer than 10 wins and lower than 10th/11th. If Young plays the whole season, he wins the RS (and I'm putting the same bet on him that I put on my 2020 Buddy Serong!)

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have no idea. I know I am feeling upbeat but that is the usual condition for a Docko supporter when the football is actually not being played. Best time of year.

I also agree with sentiments being expressed about how this has a 2012 vibe to it. (That is, of course, nearly a decade ago - a fact which melts my tiny mind.)

At least 2 teams leave the 8 every year. A, not "the," question is "How are we are placed to be one of the 2 that go in?"

Great back 7. Better than average midfield. Forward line a bit better than serviceable but it's more about how long we take to get the pill in there. I think we began working on short-kick ball movement, targets running to the ballcarrier to open more options, from the backline and what that meant was by the time we got forward of centre, the options were covered.

Slightly faster entry and better leading patterns from the forwards - not three talls all running to the same spot - and we will improve by 20 points a game easy-peasy.

Will that be enough? Sextoy Pinocchio.

Realistic me: 9th to 11th
Hopeful me: 8th to 10th
Doig: Brayshaw
Goals: Tabernator
Rising Star: Young - as in winning the bloody thing, not just a nomination
Riser: Tucker
Best 1st YP: Cyclone Treacy

Cyclone is a keeper for a nickname!

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think finals are a must this year. Having said that if we make it we will be in the 7th - 8th range.

To achieve this we must split the games against WCE. Not a WCE focus just that you need to at list split your double-ups in most cases if we want to play finals.

Our biggest issue is still scoring, and we have a very good defensive head coach. I am hoping that his defensive strategy will lead to better skills throughout the season due to it being less taxing than our old system. Other than that, getting a full season out of Sturt and Sonny fwd more should help.

Finish: 8th
Doig: Brayshaw / Cerra / Fyfe / Logue / Ryan (top five)
Goals: Tabs
RS: Young
Riser: Logue /
Slider: Duman / Lachie / Bewley*
Best 1st YP: Chapman

* I don't see a place for them in the B22 when all are fit. Strong back up though.

May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sorry but who gives a **** about beating West Coast, certainly not compared to any other team anyway.

If someone offered me 13 wins and losing both derbies or 12 wins and winning both derbies I'd take the 13 wins every time.
I would take the 13 wins too but after this many consecutive losses something is definitely up. I want to beat them or at least lose to them in better fashion because we have shown to be completely bamboozled by the short kicking fast spreading game they play with for years, it would be lame if our current game plan can't cope with it either.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would take the 13 wins too but after this many consecutive losses something is definitely up. I want to beat them or at least lose to them in better fashion because we have shown to be completely bamboozled by the short kicking fast spreading game they play with for years, it would be lame if our current game plan can't cope with it either.
They've been good for ages and we've been somewhere between dire and mediocre for most of that period. That's the problem.

First half of 2015 we didn't have any problems beating them.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
It's not so much about beating West Coast per se as it is beating a team that's had the wood on us for years on end. That's the sticking point. It was the same with Hawthorn, and going back further Geelong. It's humiliating and demoralising to be on the end of lengthy losing streaks, no matter what team it is. Hawthorn are a mediocre team these days but it still felt like a big turning point for our club when we beat them last year.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not so much about beating West Coast per se as it is beating a team that's had the wood on us for years on end. That's the sticking point. It was the same with Hawthorn, and going back further Geelong. It's humiliating and demoralising to be on the end of lengthy losing streaks, no matter what team it is. Hawthorn are a mediocre team these days but it still felt like a big turning point for our club when we beat them last year.

Agree on West Coast from a losing streak perspective. Can’t say that I believe I’d be reading the same comments if it say was GWS with that winning streak against us though.

Can’t say I agree about Hawthorn in 2020. They are genuinely rubbish now and will be for a while. It’s the sort of game I’m honestly genuinely annoyed at losing (as in proper pissed off) but not overly excited by winning because I just expect us to win.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Agree on West Coast from a losing streak perspective. Can’t say that I believe I’d be reading the same comments if it say was GWS with that winning streak against us though.

Can’t say I agree about Hawthorn in 2020. They are genuinely rubbish now and will be for a while. It’s the sort of game I’m honestly genuinely annoyed at losing (as in proper pissed off) but not overly excited by winning because I just expect us to win.
Could not care about hawthorn except in finals bit west coast. That hurts

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
If someone offered me 13 wins and losing both derbies or 12 wins and winning both derbies I'd take the 13 wins every time.
Hm. If it was the difference between making finals or not, then I'd choke down the derby losses for the sake of the extra win. But if we weren't going to make finals regardless, I think I'd rather the two derby wins. Even more so if those wins cost WC a top 4 (or top 8) spot.

Sometimes you've got to sacrifice your own ambitions for the greater good

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sorry but who gives a **** about beating West Coast, certainly not compared to any other team anyway.

I am not sure you read my post.. if it was mine you were referring to... I said we need to win at least one as to make finals in general it is difficult if you don't at least split your double-up games. If we need to win half or just over half of our games to certain for finals then we cannot afford to drop two to any one team in the competition. As we play WCE twice each season we need to split them at least. I don't care so much about the overall head to head record with them at all.

Having said all that - WCE is in the age demographic of a team that we should start to beat and beat regularly over the next 4-6 years.

Back