Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

11JAN21: Tippett Coaching Suns

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I guess Malceski's golden handshake coaching gig with GC has expired.

Not sure how good his coaching ability is but I definitely rate his mental fortitude and overall contribution as a player.

Thinking back, how good was our backline in their prime? Malceski, Shaw, Mattner, Nick Smith, and the two pillars Teddy and Grundy. What an elite unit!

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney Swans twitter linking to a radio interview with Will Gould. Some interesting information. He says he is looking at playing across the half back line.

That would make sense. Would suit his known strengths. If Mills does move to the midfield there's a spot available, competing probably with COR and maybe Fox (though I like him better as a BP) unless Horse sees Dawson's best spot at HBF. Expect to see him play there in the preseason.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
What did he say?

Sportsday Podcast, January 12

Longmire was on at 10.30mins to 23mins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Hey Swans fans. I hope it's ok I post in here.

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing Sydney this time.

From the 3.04min mark, we talk about the year the Swans had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 15mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 30 - 2021 – Club Reviews – Sydney Swans & West Coast Eagles
Recorded on the 6th January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

SYDNEY @ 3.04
- Competitive all season, particularly towards back end
- Youth feature in top 10 of B&F & Buddy or bust up forward
- Rowbottom & Mills impress while question marks hang over Reid & Hewett
- Can Sinclair stand up as no.1 ruck?
- Can McCartin & Melican cement key back spots?
- Do all of McDonald, Campbell & Gulden play in Round 1?

Your prediction of an 8-10 finish with a sneaky chance of finals seems about right, though much comes down to luck and a fair wind.
Reid's now 29. He's kicked 28 & 30 goals in his last two full seasons but he's also versatile enough to be almost a utility, pinch hitting in the ruck and spending periods deep in defence or as an outlet mark across HB. He averages a handy 5-6 marks/game over his career, many contested. You're probably right that he hasn't fulfilled his potential but he contributes more than his stats show. He throws that big body around recklessly, crashes packs and creates opportunities for others. He's always struggled as first tall forward, especially when heavily manned up. Works better with Buddy than Papley.
Hewett at 25 is one of the best lockdown players in the game but as a pure attacking mid he can also get plenty of his own ball. He kept Shaun Higgins to just 11 touches in round 3 while helping himself to an equal number. He eventually succumbed to a back injury he'd been carrying, playing only 6 games in total for 2020.
Sinclair was never recruited as a pure ruck and is more likely to play forward if Hickey can handle the ruck. While he's battled bravely for several seasons it'd be nice to allow him to rest a bit. He looks like a mummy on game day.
I think McDonald, Campbell, Gulden, Gould and a few others will have to show something in pre-season games before they're considered for round 1 and even then it'll depend on how some senior players shape up coming back from injuries. Swans have a lot more depth than previous years as our young blokes have had to step up. The game plan has evolved faster and more reliant on sharp kicking to make use of the corridor. We took Hawthorn apart on kicking skills in 2020, much to Clarko's dismay. Swans can match it with any team on the right day but consistency is a challenge with a young team. Last year saw us lose a lot of experience through injury, especially to our spine of talls, yet we were less than 2 goals/game from a top 8 finish. There was a huge improvement in midfield. Defence was very solid but we need to find more avenues to goal. Find a few more goals this year and we are the complete package. I agree we finished strongly, Geelong very lucky to sneak home with the win. We need to win those close games.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Sportsday Podcast, January 12

Longmire was on at 10.30mins to 23mins
Thank you

I liked hearing that Don Pyke will oversee our ball movement. That Adelaide team might've had it's faults but their greatest strength was easily their ball movement.

I also loved this quote from Macca in regards to our rebuild: "We want our kids to be impatient."

14JAN21: Buddy 'flying', 'no ceiling' for Swans - McVeigh
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

I liked hearing that Don Pyke will oversee our ball movement. That Adelaide team might've had it's faults but their greatest strength was easily their ball movement.

I also loved this quote from Macca in regards to our rebuild: "We want our kids to be impatient."

Does that mean he is our property steward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back