Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong, I reckon he'll be a great player. He's definitely athletic enough.
That's the view that I took away from your post. I was more just pointing out to anyone who might consider him a slower version of Frawley that the other attributes you mentioned makes him a similar sort of defender to Lake. One that doesn't rely on athletic ability to be a gun.

I'd say we should be excited about every kid coming through unless they give us enough reason not to be.

From my viewing, Kosi has struggled with injury a bit this year which is probably due to being conservative with injury troubles from last year. That being said, he's a bloke I expect to make a very reliable AFL level defender.

He plays a fair bit like Frawley, in that he's really effective at using his body in spoiling - has a fair bit less toe than Frawley at his peak, but is a better read of the ball and mark and is a bit more composed.

Good size, strong body and reads the play well.. perfect player to man the big lumps like Hawkins/Lynch and Brown, guys that aren’t elite quick.

How has Koschitzke developed & played this year?

Anyone keen to give a summary or update to those of us that haven't seen him play?

I saw that he kicked a goal for BHH this weekend. Has he played predominantly KPD or swung between KPD/KPF etc.?

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Anyone keen to give a summary or update to those of us that haven't seen him play?

I saw that he kicked a goal for BHH this weekend. Has he played predominantly KPD or swung between KPD/KPF etc.?

Kosi has played predominately KPD this year. His season has been significantly interrupted by concussion and niggling injuries. He was also in rehab during preseason so he’s effectively got no fitness base to work with.

It’s quality over quantity with Kosi at the moment. He’s a great reader of the play and a great mark but due to his lack of fitness struggled with the pace of the game. This meant that he would have games where he only had 3-4 disposals yet would still look decent because he’s rarely beaten 1v1. Brand/Kosi were actually pretty good as our key pillars when on the park.

He’s also seen success as a swingman, being rolled forward (usually in the last quarter) and kicking 1-2 goals while remaining involved. His ability to do this will no doubt endear him to the Selection committee.

I don’t think we’ll see him in 2020 without an injury crisis (knock wood) but that judgment can only be made after a full preseason. He has plenty of attributes you want in a key defender and is flexible, but has no fitness base and goes missing for long periods. I’d say he’s showing promise as an eventual successor to Frawley but has a long way to go.

A few issues with Injuries such as concussion and niggling back/hammy....

Played ok at FB but is quite a few years away.

Does anyone have any info on how Kosichitzke is going early in pre-season? If he can't break into our backline this year, given our key defensive stocks, I can't see him sticking.

Has it just been injuries holding him back? Does he have the talent?

Does anyone have any info on how Kosichitzke is going early in pre-season? If he can't break into our backline this year, given our key defensive stocks, I can't see him sticking.

Has it just been injuries holding him back? Does he have the talent?
Probably give it a few weeks. Haven’t really had many sessions. There was a rumour of him playing forward in drills. That and he had but on some size and looked fit.

Just watched his draft highlights again. Looks a more natural forward than defender.

To date he has barely been on the park. We know talls take time so I think we still need some patience here.

However if he has another season of injury his papers will be stamped.

Fingers crossed he gets a good run at it at Box Hill.

This is an odd comment.

Our back half is our biggest strength even with Sicily out, as Scrim moved into his role.

FB: Hardwick, Hartigan/Hartley, Greaves
HBF: Scrimshaw, Frost, Impey/Burgoyne/CJ

He’d have to leapfrog both Hartley and Hartigan to get a key post in the back half.

This is an odd comment.

Our back half is our biggest strength even with Sicily out, as Scrim moved into his role.

He’d have to leapfrog both Hartley and Hartigan to get a key post in the back half.
I’d be hoping he leapfrogs Hartley at least tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got them finishing anywhere between ninth and 14th.”

Jakovich, an assistant coach with the AFL Academy, is excited about a few of Hawthorn’s youngsters.

“Look out for a couple of players. Conor Nash, he’s certainly very quick and exciting. Finn Maginness and then you’ve got Damon Greaves who’s a West Australian boy and Jacob Koschitzke, I like this kid, he’s the cousin of Justin and he’s a big unit and a big body,” he said.

This is an odd comment.

Hartley has played 46 games in 7 years across three clubs. He played two games for us last year. We played the most amount of players in the competition last year.

I like Hartigan and see him as a good stop gap, but he is nothing more than solid really. We need him to be the big body as we rebuild, but 113 games in eight seasons tells you he has been in and out.

Frost may play as a key defender, but he just as easily plays on third talls or smalls.

I maintain the comment, it's not like we have Lake, peak Frawley and Gibson ahead of him. Frost aside, you could probably say he has solid journeyman ahead of him who are in the back end of their careers.

Opportunity is there for him if his body holds up and he is good enough. Gee, our rebuild would be on the right path if he makes it and we can lock in Kosi and Grainger-Barras through the 2020's.

That said, very few players taken in the 50s, talls included, stick on a list after three years without playing at AFL level.

Last edited:
Hartley has played 46 games in 7 years across three clubs. He played two games for us last year. We played the most amount of players in the competition last year.

I like Hartigan and see him as a good stop gap, but he is nothing more than solid really. We need him to be the big body as we rebuild, but 113 games in eight seasons tells you he has been in and out.

Frost may play as a key defender, but he just as easily plays on third talls or smalls.

I maintain the comment, it's not like we have Lake, peak Frawley and Gibson ahead of him. Frost aside, you could probably say he has solid journeyman ahead of him who are in the back end of their careers.

Opportunity is there for him if his body holds up and he is good enough. Gee, our rebuild would be on the right path if he makes it and we can lock in Kosi and Grainger-Barrass through the 2020's.

That said, very few players taken in the 50s, talls included, stick on a list after three years without playing at AFL level.
There should definitely be an expectation that he makes his debut this year after rumours he was in line for one late last year. Particularly if Hartigan and Hartley don't discover career best form. But I don't think failing to become a regular (assuming that's what you meant by breaking into the side rather than just a debut or a couple games) is cause for concern.

I think when it comes to young KPD and ruckmen it takes an exceptional level of talent and or athletic prowess to overcome the advantage afforded by the conditioning and experience that can only come from years in the system. He was after all a late 3rd rounder and even midfielders taken that late can take several years to look likely.

Kosi looks really, really fit. This will be his first full pre-season without injury (fingers crossed) which should give him every chance to have a real crack this year. he was looking great in early 2020 until he did his shoulder in the intra-club.

Where was he playing in the training sim you watched forward or back.

There should definitely be an expectation that he makes his debut this year after rumours he was in line for one late last year. Particularly if Hartigan and Hartley don't discover career best form. But I don't think failing to become a regular (assuming that's what you meant by breaking into the side rather than just a debut or a couple games) is cause for concern.

I think when it comes to young KPD and ruckmen it takes an exceptional level of talent and or athletic prowess to overcome the advantage afforded by the conditioning and experience that can only come from years in the system. He was after all a late 3rd rounder and even midfielders taken that late can take several years to look likely.

No not a regular, but gee that would be a great result. I was talking more if he didn't play a handful of games this year that would be cause for concern. Especially when you consider we are rebuilding and he doesn't have stars or long term options playing his position.

As a few posters mentioned, if Hartley in particular keeps him out that would be a worry for me.

Kosi looks really, really fit. This will be his first full pre-season without injury (fingers crossed) which should give him every chance to have a real crack this year. he was looking great in early 2020 until he did his shoulder in the intra-club.
I think I remember that being a let down at the time

One pandemic and almost the destruction of democracy later I’m not as upset

here’s hoping for a good year for Kosi

Opportunity is there for him if his body holds up and he is good enough. Gee, our rebuild would be on the right path if he makes it and we can lock in Kosi and Grainger-Barras through the 2020's.

But again, he’s got to leap frog senior players to get games.

The premise of your comment was that if he’s not getting games in 2021 he’s not going to make it, which disregards Hartley and particularly Hartigan far too easily, as well as our other defenders.

They both have the body strength and experience that he does not yet have, so unless they both fall in a heap, or he puts together some exceptional form at Box Hill, he’s not going to push passed them in the pecking order with ease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back