Preview Season 2021 Preview | The Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Marx
VFL lineup?

Ramsay Parks Newman
Stocker Marchbank Kemp

SPS will be doing well to keep 4 of those blokes out of the starting 22 - the pressure is on for SPS.....

according to Teague - Williamson may be tried as a wingman.
Marchbank will get a crack in the 1st, then form and/or injury will dictate what happens. Likely pick up McDonald for depth and 2s.

For the 1s

Doch, Jones, Plow
SPS, Weiters, Saad

Willo 7th defender in the bench.

Our backs coach Amos still insists SPS stays back in 2021, so I put in Doch as the “small defender” - not ideal but who else from this lot?

Personally, I'd like to see Teague & co reduce the frequency in which they use a +1,
It weakens us in other areas of the ground and limits our ability to adjust should the opposition get a run on.
If we must play someone loose, Doc would be best freed up for this role starting on a wing but with the greenlight to float around the ground (similar to Burgoyne) as he has the smarts for it.
Newman has his flaws but I like his long kicking game which will help clear a forward press or zone - I think this in addition to Saad's run and carry will add an extra dimension to our side.
I think SPS is a little unfairly maligned for his work in defence, he may not have done the classy stuff that we know he's capable of but some of his defensive work really impressed me. Our defensive group over the last year or two has been overly aggressive when it comes to zoning off their opponent or trying to create overlap run, which has left us susceptible to the counter-attack, SPS has been a counterpoint to this in that he has prioritised beating his opponent. A better balance between attack and defence across the midfield and defensive groups should see SPS able to play his normal attacking game more regularly.

Newman, Jones, Plow
SPS, Weiters, Saad

I think Doc gets to start ahead of SPS, and I'd love for Marchbank to also be part of the back 7. It then lets one of Willo/SPS to push up onto a wing or through the midfield.
It's good, we have a number of options back there to be utilised as form, fitness and matchups dictate.
Hopefully with improved pressure from our forward and midfield groups we will see a reduction in pressure on our defensive group which will enable them to play from a more assertive position.

Personally, I'd like to see Teague & co reduce the frequency in which they use a +1,
It weakens us in other areas of the ground and limits our ability to adjust should the opposition get a run on.
If we must play someone loose, Doc would be best freed up for this role starting on a wing but with the greenlight to float around the ground (similar to Burgoyne) as he has the smarts for it.
Newman has his flaws but I like his long kicking game which will help clear a forward press or zone - I think this in addition to Saad's run and carry will add an extra dimension to our side.
I think SPS is a little unfairly maligned for his work in defence, he may not have done the classy stuff that we know he's capable of but some of his defensive work really impressed me. Our defensive group over the last year or two has been overly aggressive when it comes to zoning off their opponent or trying to create overlap run, which has left us susceptible to the counter-attack, SPS has been a counterpoint to this in that he has prioritised beating his opponent. A better balance between attack and defence across the midfield and defensive groups should see SPS able to play his normal attacking game more regularly.

Newman, Jones, Plow
SPS, Weiters, Saad

Agere with your call NOT employ an extra number in defence all the time - as you say robs the midfield ( and forwards ) of numbers.

Don't know if it's just me, but I would like at least one, if not both of Newman and Marchy in the back 7. I would much prefer them in defence compared to SPS/Willo, where I think they'd be much more damaging on a wing/midfield.
Enjoying 24's work lately......

Agere with your call NOT employ an extra number in defence all the time - as you say robs the midfield ( and forwards ) of numbers.
Correct. We are one down on ball or down back which counteracts our marking talls one way or another. Lots of clubs do it but, it is another example of conservative, negating tactics imposed by coaches. Loss mitigation football :sick:. Boring.

I think Doc gets to start ahead of SPS, and I'd love for Marchbank to also be part of the back 7. It then lets one of Willo/SPS to push up onto a wing or through the midfield.

Williamson will always be defender, he's perfect for that role, 100%.

He'll be a very good player one day, don't get nervous when the ball is in his hands coming out.

SPS should be on a wing though, I agree 100%, beautiful kick. Perfect to fix the spaghetti F50 entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back