Player Watch Beau McCreery

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the contrary, that is exactly the kid you want. You want the young man that woke up and decided to apply himself and now sees the fruits of his labour, he is the type that can strive and will continue to improve.
Too many kids have lived for nothing else and can't accept that they are not as good as they think they are or can't deal with injuries or setbacks.
Mind you all the above means nothing if he is not a good person, I presume they interviewed him and he convinced them that he is a good character and wants a career with CFC.
You'd hope so, and he does represent upside. But with all the stories from players dropping out or getting delisted because the 'AFL system' is so serious, high pressured and even sterile, I'd disagree that this is exactly the type of player you want these days.

Glenn Archer & Swanny started off as this type of player, so lets hope he goes down a similar path re work ethic and application. Plenty havent

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
You'd hope so, and he does represent upside. But with all the stories from players dropping out or getting delisted because the 'AFL system' is so serious, high pressured and even sterile, I'd disagree that this is exactly the type of player you want these days.

Glenn Archer & Swanny started off as this type of player, so lets hope he goes down a similar path re work ethic and application. Plenty havent
If clubs only drafted 'exactly' the right sort of player the competition would fold almost instantly.
If the player has enough positives for the recruiters to believe he can be an asset for the club then it's time to ante up and take the reins.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

In the interview he mainly says that it was his junior years where he just got by on talent alone. he certainly applied himself last year in the SANFL and had an outstanding season. I think that he now knows that his footy has taken on a whole new level and that he is a seriously talented player. He will start the season in the forward pocket provided he has a good pre season. I can see him over taking the like of Thomas very quickly and boy has he got serious pace

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he does provide elite forward 50 pressure then he could easily be best 22 come round 1, all he has to do is outperform Josh Thomas, which won't be hard.

IMG_2061.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good interview this.

I thought I would not see the interview out to the end, but actually found it entertaining, appreciating the candid responses and the raw interview style and questions. Beau looks a very solid boy to the point where you wonder if weight could be difficult to keep under control. However, the shot of him at training suggests that only seeing him in a seated position did little justice to his physique. I liked the fact he is looking to emulate and bond with De Goey.

I thought I would not see the interview out to the end, but actually found it entertaining, appreciating the candid responses and the raw interview style and questions. Beau looks a very solid boy to the point where you wonder if weight could be difficult to keep under control. However, the shot of him at training suggests that only seeing him in a seated position did little justice to his physique. I liked the fact he is looking to emulate and bond with De Goey.

Hopefully On-Field and not Off-Field

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
The interview was recommend by YouTube for me to watch, came here to see if anyone had watched it.

Sounds like he was up for a good time, like all teenagers, so that's not surprising. What is pleasing is that it sounds like he realised he needed to step back a bit from that if he wanted to get better.

Congrats Beau on your AFL debut! Fair to say I'm annoyed its as medical sub but no one can strike it from the record books now!
It sucks. I’m really angry at the club for doing this. No player should have to spend most or all of their debut on the bench.

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
It sucks. I’m really angry at the club for doing this. No player should have to spend most or all of their debut on the bench.
Couldn't agree more. A debut is a special moment in a player's career. For them and even for the fans. It just takes so much away from the excitement for the player, their family and the club's supporters.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

We have a premiership player from 1990 who I am pretty sure did the same thing. He'll get over it. Hope his stats are zero tog, zero possessions.

That said, Murphy would seem to be a more logical inclusion.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Congrats Beau on your AFL debut! Fair to say I'm annoyed its as medical sub but no one can strike it from the record books now!

Congratulations young man , Go well, the small forward position is yours for the taking , should you be required to come on to the ground, whats that Cal ? you have cramp .... quick come off

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers

it really is a stupid way to use it imo. surely its better for an experienced player to come off the bench. they are more likely to impact the game.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Shame his debut played out like that, I'd be picking him for the starting side next week though. Hopefully he can snag a few in the VFL on the weekend and work his way into the team

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
Can he run and kick and tackle?If so,that already puts him ahead of most of our forward line.

Back