Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The introduction of the Shepp Super School might have an unattended consequence footy wise that could benefit Kyabram further. If it is true some Tat locals play where they go to high school instead of their home town.... there has been a huge increase in high school enrolments from Tatura because they don’t want to send their kids to Shepp anymore. This comment is again on the presumption some Tat locals play and stay in the town where they go to high school. I could totally be off the mark... but there could be something in it???

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think the 'Super' school isn't all that Super. Instead of a points system perhaps a zoning system for the GVFL U/18's comp might be the way to go. If you live in the tatura area you play for them. A bit draconian but for the good of teams with out a secondary school it may help? Some players won't be at GV level I know but if every club had a list of 25 kids the others could then go to the district leagues.

I think the 'Super' school isn't all that Super. Instead of a points system perhaps a zoning system for the GVFL U/18's comp might be the way to go. If you live in the tatura area you play for them. A bit draconian but for the good of teams with out a secondary school it may help? Some players won't be at GV level I know but if every club had a list of 25 kids the others could then go to the district leagues.

There’s a whole new can of worms! Schools and clubs alike would be much better off if we all participated within the given radius.

What Tatura need is a strong KDL competition where the satellite towns have full Under 17s lists (reduced from the Under 18s at present) that can filter in to GV level for their top age year. They’d then invite the best kids from say Murch-Toolamba, Merrigum, Rushworth & Stanhope for a taste of GV footy.

I’d imagine that similar arrangements would help Euroa and Seymour too.

There’s a whole new can of worms! Schools and clubs alike would be much better off if we all participated within the given radius.

What Tatura need is a strong KDL competition where the satellite towns have full Under 17s lists (reduced from the Under 18s at present) that can filter in to GV level for their top age year. They’d then invite the best kids from say Murch-Toolamba, Merrigum, Rushworth & Stanhope for a taste of GV footy.

I’d imagine that similar arrangements would help Euroa and Seymour too.

I must be getting old. I remember the days when, if invited to try out for a top tier country league you'd be over the moon.

I must be getting old. I remember the days when, if invited to try out for a top tier country league you'd be over the moon.

That’s where the dream needs to come back to. Being a 200 game GVL player should again be the goal of the kids.

Instead we have a system where many are heart broken at 19 due to not being drafted and end up playing in the districts by 22 if at all!

That’s where the dream needs to come back to. Being a 200 game GVL player should again be the goal of the kids.

Instead we have a system where many are heart broken at 19 due to not being drafted and end up playing in the districts by 22 if at all!

There was a research paper done by a lady in Rochester on NAB league player outcomes and it was found that a high percentage of them no longer played at all after 5 years.

There was a research paper done by a lady in Rochester on NAB league player outcomes and it was found that a high percentage of them no longer played at all after 5 years.
Which follows 5 + years of telling a kid he’ll make it , AFL is the only thing to strive for , his local coaches are dumb whilst isolating them from their mates and home club.

Totally agree Kat! I also have the hindsight having taught in one of those feeder schools aligned with TAC clubs that recruits kids from across the country on sports scholarships on the promise of being drafted. Plenty were drafted over the journey ... Not so many in the last few years, but based upon the percentage of scholarships there were far many more disappointed parents and students.

Totally agree Kat! I also have the hindsight having taught in one of those feeder schools aligned with TAC clubs that recruits kids from across the country on sports scholarships on the promise of being drafted. Plenty were drafted over the journey ... Not so many in the last few years, but based upon the percentage of scholarships there were far many more disappointed parents and students.
Absolutely! The issue I had with that was that some of these kids got free accommodation in apartments for weekend games, fuel vouchers for the folks and return airfares for a visit home. The poor kids that went to the local high school got nothing! Nothing against the kids or parents but should never have been allowed.

Well they walk away with a free education, good networking from the "old boys" I don't think that's too bad of an outcome silver, also the school gets the prestige of winning the aps or in days gone by the Herald Sun shield.

As ringo points out it's better then going to Swan Hill high and driving down to Bendigo a couple of times a week to train, then play, then not get drafted, when they could have played senior footy all year

There are some kids who are ready at 18 to play but most aren't. Why not scrap the under 18s, let the kids finish schooling and then let them concentrate on footy, look at other drafts around the world, there's very few who become stars being drafted straight outta high school.

Which follows 5 + years of telling a kid he’ll make it , AFL is the only thing to strive for , his local coaches are dumb whilst isolating them from their mates and home club.
What happens to the guys on the fringe of tac cup teams? The 15th to 25th picked player, who is just in or just out of the team.

I remember back in 99, a cmfl team wanted to know back in July, if one of the guys in the above situation, who had just got in the best for the pios a couple of weeks in a row was either going to commit to them or the pios, puts a lot of pressure on the young guy. Who incidentally choose his home team and both teams lost a prelim, he could have run out on the g but choose tooleybuc rec reserve (which at that time probably was a better surface to play on)

Putting 2 and 2 together here but I'm assuming that you may have taught at my high school..
From my perspective the NAB League in its current configuration is designed to cater to the top percentile that gets drafted, everyone else be damned.
I can understand that having been told that you're a fair chance of "making it" for a number of years that in the end, you may walk away from the game disgruntled particularly with how quickly teams need to move on from you in order to prepare for the following season.
I believe it's important that players maintain a strong bond with their home club (& vice versa) as it goes some way to reducing the disconnect and hopefully slow rate of these young fellas that presently give away the game.
If AFLHQ gave a s**t (they don't), I'd encourage that they implement a thorough review of how the NAB league operates with regard to its impact on local footy and the people involved with an eye to keeping more people involved in the game.

Putting 2 and 2 together here but I'm assuming that you may have taught at my high school..
From my perspective the NAB League in its current configuration is designed to cater to the top percentile that gets drafted, everyone else be damned.
I can understand that having been told that you're a fair chance of "making it" for a number of years that in the end, you may walk away from the game disgruntled particularly with how quickly teams need to move on from you in order to prepare for the following season.
I believe it's important that players maintain a strong bond with their home club (& vice versa) as it goes some way to reducing the disconnect and hopefully slow rate of these young fellas that presently give away the game.
If AFLHQ gave a sh*t (they don't), I'd encourage that they implement a thorough review of how the NAB league operates with regard to its impact on local footy and the people involved with an eye to keeping more people involved in the game.
Love the post mate!Bring back zones where clubs put time and effort into development. Provide greater opportunities and inclusive practices for players with any talent and any last name. Play say 4 games as curtain raisers to AFL games so that recruiters can have a look at the players. From this choose respective National Champs sides that play at the end of the season allowing players to focus on study and have a connection with community clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see zones ever coming back in a national comp ringo, imagine working out who gets the Sandringham or Calder zones, and the real nimby effect of the south-eastern Melbourne suburbs trying to get rid of the interstate clubs, trying to push them to regional areas.

Hopefully something changes as the current systems stuffed, isn't this under Brad Scott's job umbrella? He seems highly qualified

Love the post mate!Bring back zones where clubs put time and effort into development. Provide greater opportunities and inclusive practices for players with any talent and any last name. Play say 4 games as curtain raisers to AFL games so that recruiters can have a look at the players. From this choose respective National Champs sides that play at the end of the season allowing players to focus on study and have a connection with community clubs.

I see another Gvl legend has left us This person being the great Triple Morrison medalist Robbie Orrman the ex Lemnos gun was 88 he is the Gvls first hall of famer he is one of 3 that has won 3 Morrison’s the others being Garry Cooper and Ray Willet. R.I.P Robbie

Absolute Legend of the ‘Lemnos’ Era....RIP....

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If AFLHQ gave a sh*t (they don't), I'd encourage that they implement a thorough review of how the NAB league operates with regard to its impact on local footy and the people involved with an eye to keeping more people involved in the game.

I also think the tac system has killed loyalty in footy and somewhat created the current monster...can’t speak about country areas but down here in the east kids are identified at a young age and lured to clubs such as Vermont in juniors as a ‘pathway’ to eastern ranges. These kids either go on with it or conveniently become 1 pointers for Vermont. But they also end up playing for several sides in a short space of time (initial local club, bigger local club, ranges and school). And if they go to vfl they drop back to local clubs if not selected. Again making it ‘ok’ to play for numerous clubs and not settle..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see zones ever coming back in a national comp ringo, imagine working out who gets the Sandringham or Calder zones, and the real nimby effect of the south-eastern Melbourne suburbs trying to get rid of the interstate clubs, trying to push them to regional areas.

Hopefully something changes as the current systems stuffed, isn't this under Brad Scott's job umbrella? He seems highly qualified

Based on the old VFL zones situation of leagues and areas aligned to clubs ( i.e GV used to = Melbourne) what area outside of metro Melbourne right at this moment would be the most attractive area to have if zones were still in play?

Based on the old VFL zones situation of leagues and areas aligned to clubs ( i.e GV used to = Melbourne) what area outside of metro Melbourne right at this moment would be the most attractive area to have if zones were still in play?
Finally some sense...Nationals will be held at the end of the season. Its a step forward. I think Geelong would be the standout followed by O&M mate.

I also think the tac system has killed loyalty in footy and somewhat created the current monster...can’t speak about country areas but down here in the east kids are identified at a young age and lured to clubs such as Vermont in juniors as a ‘pathway’ to eastern ranges. These kids either go on with it or conveniently become 1 pointers for Vermont. But they also end up playing for several sides in a short space of time (initial local club, bigger local club, ranges and school). And if they go to vfl they drop back to local clubs if not selected. Again making it ‘ok’ to play for numerous clubs and not settle..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think there is nothing more satisfying for most supporters than to see young players come through the under 18's and become good senior players. Country clubs are proud of them and this generally makes the basis of a harmonious club.

Equally seeing good young players lost to the club without playing any senior football (or very little), initially in the TAC/VFL systems then drifting elsewhere is really disappointing to supporters.

I think there is nothing more satisfying for most supporters than to see young players come through the under 18's and become good senior players. Country clubs are proud of them and this generally makes the basis of a harmonious club.

Equally seeing good young players lost to the club without playing any senior football (or very little), initially in the TAC/VFL systems then drifting elsewhere is really disappointing to supporters.
It’s my understanding Sam Wrights first game with Katamatite this year will be only his 3rd game with the club since turning 16 having not played at another country club and few injuries as a junior. Bushies and North his only other clubs .
On GVL matters I was told the bears threw $60k at Jackson Trengove who has signed at Barooga.

It’s my understanding Sam Wrights first game with Katamatite this year will be only his 3rd game with the club since turning 16 having not played at another country club and few injuries as a junior. Bushies and North his only other clubs .
On GVL matters I was told the bears threw $60k at Jackson Trengove who has signed at Barooga.

So looking at that, that would mean Barooga is offering more IMO. Job? Housing? something to do with business? there has to be bigger hook otherwise take the cash. What sort of incentive from Barooga is available as $60K equates to better than $3K a game. Thats huge money in country footy. Obviously marquee players dont fall under the salary cap.........oh sorry that the A league not the MFL.

So looking at that, that would mean Barooga is offering more IMO. Job? Housing? something to do with business? there has to be bigger hook otherwise take the cash. What sort of incentive from Barooga is available as $60K equates to better than $3K a game. Thats huge money in country footy. Obviously marquee players dont fall under the salary cap.........oh sorry that the A league not the MFL.
In-laws are from the Cobram / Barooga area .

Who's the best player to come out of the om from tac cup the g train? I think gippy, Ballarat, gv and Bendigo have had more stars drafted then om in that time.

60k roar, isn't that over the cap, gee that would be a great way to create unity and culture at the club, is he moving up there?

Finally some sense...Nationals will be held at the end of the season. Its a step forward. I think Geelong would be the standout followed by O&M mate.

Who's the best player to come out of the om from tac cup the g train? I think gippy, Ballarat, gv and Bendigo have had more stars drafted then om in that time.

60k roar, isn't that over the cap, gee that would be a great way to create unity and culture at the club, is he moving up there?
Caps are rightfully well over $60k, whilst I have no idea what he is being paid by Barooga merely what he is alleged to have been offered by the Bears which is a slight discount on rumours of what they offered Sam Wright and both being for coaching roles .

Caps are rightfully well over $60k, whilst I have no idea what he is being paid by Barooga merely what he is alleged to have been offered by the Bears which is a slight discount on rumours of what they offered Sam Wright and both being for coaching roles .

50% of the GV salary cap. Doesn’t leave much else for others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back