Last edited:

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
A friend of mine saw the session and said Lachie has added size and has a great kick.

Hopefully the Shiel pairing is a hint of midfield development. Has a very similar shape to the Neale, Mitchell, Selwood crowd.

Definitely need another midget in our midfield.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Are we under the illusion that Neale would be effective at all with out midfield compared to Brisbanes?

The dude is plenty valuable without them. Lyons is not the difference between Neale being an elite kid and terrible. His first possession and dish off game is way better than his collect and leave the pack game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dude is plenty valuable without them. Lyons is not the difference between Neale being an elite kid and terrible.
Where did I suggest that he'd be terrible? Just naming one bloke is such an effective argument.

I mean we brought Shiel into a midget midfield as someone in the top 20 mids in the game, and look at how well he's done.

Donakebab is 100% correct. Our midfield is still horribly undersized.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Are we under the illusion that Neale would be effective at all with out midfield compared to Brisbanes?

Lol.

I'd make room for a ball magnet Brownlow winner myself, but what the hell would I know?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Where did I suggest that he'd be terrible? Just naming one bloke is such an effective argument.

I mean we brought Shiel into a midget midfield as someone in the top 20 mids in the game, and look at how well he's done.

Donakebab is 100% correct. Our midfield is still horribly undersized.

I named one bloke because he’s the only one who influences Neales game. Berry, McCluggage, Rayner dont block, CEY is rarely in the guts. They don’t effect his game, he effects theirs.

Who cares about the size. We have a larger midfield than Richmond. The fact our boys are softer than them and can’t run doesn’t change that fact.

I named one bloke because he’s the only one who influences Neales game. Berry, McCluggage, Rayner dont block, CEY is rarely in the guts. They don’t effect his game, he effects theirs.

Who cares about the size. We have a larger midfield than Richmond. The fact our boys are softer than them and can’t run doesn’t change that fact.
Berry is one of the best blockers in the game, McCluggage plays on a wing, Rayner plays forward, CEY plays more guts than either of them.

And also factually incorrect, their average height is taller and average weight significantly heavier. So you've gone guns ablazing and gotten almost everything wrong, well done.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Berry is one of the best blockers in the game, McCluggage plays on a wing, Rayner plays forward, CEY plays more guts than either of them.

And also factually incorrect, their average height is taller and average weight significantly heavier. So you've gone guns ablazing and gotten almost everything wrong, well done.

None of them are in their top 4 for CBAs. Neale is in their 9/10 times, Lyons 7/10, McInernary 6/10 and Zorko 4/10. Berry mixes most of his time between the wing and half forward. Hes barely in there and CEY who played 9 games for a grand total of 8 one percenters is the secret to his success... right.

Go ahead with the average height of Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Lambert, Graham, Bolton, Pickett, McIntosh vs Heppell, Shiel, McGrath, Langford, Cutler, Parish, Merrett, Stringer (pre injury was at 80% CBA).

Last edited:
None of them are in their top 4 for CBAs. Neale is in their 9/10 times, Lyons 7/10, McInernary 6/10 and Zorko 4/10. Berry mixes most of his time between the wing and half forward. Hes barely in there.

Go ahead with the average height of Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Lambert, Graham, Bolton, Pickett, McIntosh vs Heppell, Shiel, McGrath, Langford, Cutler, Parish, Merrett, Stringer (pre injury was at 80% CBA).
So their three best midfielders are in the CBA the majority of the time. What a shock.

And you're really going with that argument? You've just inserted two players who mostly played on a wing (Langford, Cutler) this year and a forward in Stringer (who barely attended one post-injury)? Just stop, honestly. Their average weight of their Grand Final inside group is about 6 kg heavier than our most common inside group (Parish, McGrath, Shiel, Merrett, Smith) this season.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
So their three best midfielders are in the CBA the majority of the time. What a shock.

And you're really going with that argument? You've just inserted two players who mostly played on a wing (Langford, Cutler) this year and a forward in Stringer (who barely attended one post-injury)? Just stop, honestly. Their average weight of their Grand Final inside group is about 6 kg heavier than our most common inside group (Parish, McGrath, Shiel, Merrett, Smith) this season.

No surprise our group was tiny when we were missing our two biggest for most of the season. For them it’s Martin who is big, Cotchin who is average and a bunch of short people.

FWIW Langford averages similar to Berry at 28% CBA.

Our boys aren’t good at it, but partially because we don’t have a clear hierarchy of ball winners. You get a pure ball winner and then you structure around that. Predictability defines roles and we need that regardless of the package they come in.

We are replacing Shiel, Heppell, Cutler and Smith before we are getting close to anything anyway so the size issue can be solved with Perkins and a Sinn/Horne next year. I don’t consider any of them to be part of our success planning.

No surprise our group was tiny when we were missing our two biggest for most of the season. For them it’s Martin who is big, Cotchin who is average and a bunch of short people.

FWIW Langford averages similar to Berry at 28% CBA.

Our boys aren’t good at it, but partially because we don’t have a clear hierarchy of ball winners. You get a pure ball winner and then you structure around that. Predictability defines roles and we need that regardless of the package they come in.

We are replacing Shiel, Heppell, Cutler and Smith before we are getting close to anything anyway so the size issue can be solved with Perkins and a Sinn/Horne next year. I don’t consider any of them to be part of our success planning.
You're cherry picking players to boost your incorrect assertion.

Also Langford had an 8% CBA in 2020, whilst Berry had a 34% CBA according to the charts here: https://dreamteamtalk.com/2020/10/04/centre-bounce-attendances-2020/

We're undersized, the vast majority of football fans realize this, except for a bizarre few in our supporter group.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You're cherry picking players to boost your incorrect assertion.

Also Langford had an 8% CBA in 2020, whilst Berry had a 34% CBA according to the charts here: https://dreamteamtalk.com/2020/10/04/centre-bounce-attendances-2020/

We're undersized, the vast majority of football fans realize this, except for a bizarre few in our supporter group.

Was Jake I meant with the 28%, size and height similar enough to function as the same size based argument. Our starting CBA is likely, Heppell, Shiel, McGrath and then Stringer. Theirs is Neale, Lyons, Zorko then Berry or CEY. Wed have similar height/weight, but would be way less likely to win the ball. Size isn’t the problem then it’s quality and balance.

Geelong dwarfed Tigers on grand final day. Didn’t matter. Football Attributes matter.

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

The thing Neale benefits from most is the Monty Python routine that coaches in engage in when deciding not to tag.

1. Midweek press conference: Q: "You going to tag Neale?" A: "No, we'll back our system.

2. Pre game press conference: Q: "Neale has been going very well, are you sure you wont tag him?". A: "No, haha, as I said mid week we'll back our system."

3. Game happens, Neale gets 35 and kicks 2 goals running without an opponent.

4. Post game press conference: Q:"Neale, played pretty well. Do you regret not tagging him? A: "No, not at all. We back our system and we'll just have to get it right next time. The system really doesn't allow for a tagger!"

5. Post game chat between coaches: "Gee, Neale really stitched us up. You reckon he was best on ground. Nackers was very good for us getting 30 uncontested possessions at half back and turning over half of them."

6. Coaches votes announced on Monday: "Lachie Neale, 9 votes".

Do the math.

The thing Neale benefits from most is the Monty Python routine that coaches in engage in when deciding not to tag.

1. Midweek press conference: Q: "You going to tag Neale?" A: "No, we'll back our system.

2. Pre game press conference: Q: "Neale has been going very well, are you sure you wont tag him?". A: "No, haha, as I said mid week we'll back our system."

3. Game happens, Neale gets 35 and kicks 2 goals running without an opponent.

4. Post game press conference: Q:"Neale, played pretty well. Do you regret not tagging him? A: "No, not at all. We back our system and we'll just have to get it right next time. The system really doesn't allow for a tagger!"

5. Post game chat between coaches: "Gee, Neale really stitched us up. You reckon he was best on ground. Nackers was very good for us getting 30 uncontested possessions at half back and turning over half of them."

6. Coaches votes announced on Monday: "Lachie Neale, 9 votes".

Do the math.
So clearly they're all putting money on Neale for a Brownlow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back