EPL Matchday 18

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
Not did United that game, was a complete stalemate.

Guardiola has never had a problem building an attack, defence yes but with that right in charge then you wouldn't bet against them scoring more.
Of course I agree with you in just that game but I've watch a few City games this year and from what I was use to seeing in the last few years they've dropped off.

They've scored 25 goals in 16 games I would bet against it because they're attack isn't the same.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Ok so then what's the relevance of claiming you played a 'Fulham side who came off playing 120 minutes' if only one (that's the answer by the way) player played 120 minutes? If most played 60 minutes that's hardly going to have tired them out.

They've also a heap of players coming off a Covid infection. There is no way they started that game this morning in as good a condition as Tottenham.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Of course I agree with you in just that game but I've watch a few City games this year and from what I was use to seeing in the last few years they've dropped off.

They've scored 25 goals in 16 games I would bet against it because they're attack isn't the same.

Or you could say that they've been running in second gear all year and there's so much more to come

They've also a heap of players coming off a Covid infection. There is no way they started that game this morning in as good a condition as Tottenham.

Do we know which players had COVID?

I get that it's a frustrating result but Fulham have had a series of great results in the last month or two, so I do lean towards Gero's POV of some using this as an excuse to bash Mou rather than its basis in fact.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Ok so then what's the relevance of claiming you played a 'Fulham side who came off playing 120 minutes' if only one (that's the answer by the way) player played 120 minutes? If most played 60 minutes that's hardly going to have tired them out.
Most of the 8 played the final hour when the game was on the line. Compelte different intensity to our two. One who played 45 mins and the other 30 mins 4 goals up.

8 players involved in a match that went 120 mins which was competitive. Compared to 2 players who played less than a half in the biggest mismatch of all time. I know which side would be feeling the after effects of the weekend more.

Do I feel sorry for Fulham after the postponement? Not entirely. But it shouldn't be so mysterious about what the plans of the PL are to the club's.

If Fulham knew on Saturday they'd have spurs today wpuld they have named the same squad for QPR?

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

I get that it's a frustrating result but Fulham have had a series of great results in the last month or two, so I do lean towards Gero's POV of some using this as an excuse to bash Mou rather than its basis in fact.

And I would accept that if it wasn't a pattern.

Burnley, WBA, Brighton - all games that were stolen off more courageous opponents. In none of those games did we clearly deserve the win.
Everton, Palace, Wolves, Chelsea, Newcastle and now Fulham - all dropped points because we were too busy protecting our goal and barely even trying to score for large parts of those games.
West Ham - an outlier, conceding 3 goals late in the game was frustrating but also somewhat freakish.

In the league this year we have only been clearly the better team in about 4 games to my recollection - Southampton, Leeds, Arsenal and United. I may have missed one as I am going from recollection. We did play well against Liverpool but lost to the champions which is no disgrace. We weren't the better team against City but our smash and grab style seems to be kryptonite for them.

So it's not just one frustrating result. It is a string of frustrating results against teams we should be comfortably taking care of with our squad and our alleged aspirations.

And Mourinho has learned nothing as it is exactly the same script every time. The man is the very definition of insanity where he does the same thing over and over again yet expects a different outcome.

Not sure which players tested positive but leaving that aside we were at home, with a fresh squad against a team in a relegation battle. Yet we barely deserved the point we came away with.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
And I would accept that if it wasn't a pattern.

Burnley, WBA, Brighton - all games that were stolen off more courageous opponents. In none of those games did we clearly deserve the win.
Everton, Palace, Wolves, Chelsea, Newcastle and now Fulham - all dropped points because we were too busy protecting our goal and barely even trying to score for large parts of those games.
West Ham - an outlier, conceding 3 goals late in the game was frustrating but also somewhat freakish.

In the league this year we have only been clearly the better team in about 4 games to my recollection - Southampton, Leeds, Arsenal and United. I may have missed one as I am going from recollection. We did play well against Liverpool but lost to the champions which is no disgrace. We weren't the better team against City but our smash and grab style seems to be kryptonite for them.

So it's not just one frustrating result. It is a string of frustrating results against teams we should be comfortably taking care of with our squad and our alleged aspirations.

And Mourinho has learned nothing as it is exactly the same script every time. The man is the very definition of insanity where he does the same thing over and over again yet expects a different outcome.

Not sure which players tested positive but leaving that aside we were at home, with a fresh squad against a team in a relegation battle. Yet we barely deserved the point we came away with.
Yeah the Palace one I was willing to let slide with it being the first case of it in a very long time. I wouldn't put Chelsea in the same bracket but I do get your point we could have had a bit of a go at them in, albeit looking back retrospectively. Newcastle and Palace were a few months apart so I wasn't too critical, just disappointed we let a huge chance at laying a marker at the top slip.

Since then it's happened again now twice in the space of 3 weeks against Wolves and Fulham. Was very frustrated with the Wolves result that we didn't go for the kill at 1-0. Tonight the frustration grows when Moussa Sissoko (he of 3 goals and 4 assists in 4.5 PL seasons at Spurs) is starting at RW against Fulham's back 5 over the likes of Bale, Dele, Lamela, Lucas, Bergwijn.

We made it easier for Fulham than it should have been by having Winks (no goal or assist threat), Hojberg (no goal or assist threat), Sissoko (no goal or assist threat) & Ndombele (no goal threat but decent assist threat) starting a game with the league's most deadly goal scorers in Kane and Son.

And people wonder why they've scored or assisted 90% of our goals.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Kinda hilarious the Spurs supporters writing off the season when they are only a cpl flipped results or a goal here and there from being top.

I get the frustration but Son had the game there to be won and fluffed it, same thing Kane and Bergwijn did against Liverpool. Those changes go in and you're talking about a 2 point gap to the top. They really aren't far off

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Kinda hilarious the Spurs supporters writing off the season when they are only a cpl flipped results or a goal here and there from being top.

I get the frustration but Son had the game there to be won and fluffed it, same thing Kane and Bergwijn did against Liverpool. Those changes go in and you're talking about a 2 point gap to the top. They really aren't far off

Mate, I haven’t missed a minute of televised Spurs football in years, when I am not in London attending games in person.

We are miles off it.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

I don't know about bashing Mourinho because of the result but Spurs should have won easily today.

And it's not just today's result, it's today's result in the context of about 4 or 5 other games this year which have played out in almost exactly the same manner. Just in the last few weeks both the Crystal Palace and Wolves games were near identical to this one.

Edit - what jd2010 & The Cryptkeeper said

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
although it was frustrating at times, pep has handled foden's development perfectly.

People are way too impatient, also if you look at along of young stars who play too much before 21, they're often finished by 30.

Owen, Rooney, Walcott, Fabregas, Wilshere, Bale, Torres, Kewell etc etc.

Fodens been brought in perfect, developing on and off field instead of being thrown straight in.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
People are way too impatient, also if you look at along of young stars who play too much before 21, they're often finished by 30.

Owen, Rooney, Walcott, Fabregas, Wilshere, Bale, Torres, Kewell etc etc.

Fodens been brought in perfect, developing on and off field instead of being thrown straight in.
But there are also many who succeed.....

457105EA-85E7-4FAA-834F-74059BB2B94E.jpeg

Clearly Mourinho instructed them to fluff chances and be offside. Same happened with Newcastle. Fluffed chances and didn’t get the 2nd. Other games have had similar problems. Not clinical enough and not getting any productivity from RW and playing without our most creative midfielder, by stupid choice.

Chelsea. Would take a point at the bridge, a traditional graveyard.

Wolves and Palace was more that they had speed (Traore and Zaha) and hemmed us in. Not really a proactive bus parking effort but more that we were put under the kosh.

I personally believe the problem is a large portion of the fanbase never accepted Pochettino’s sacking, choosing instead for it to be Levy’s fault, and as such have never accepted or embraced Mourinho.

It’s not healthy not to move on. Yes we have had some frustrating draws but the late start and extra congestion to me has made this a more even season and everyone is dropping points at will.

As a hypothetical if Villa and City win games in hand then 2nd to 6th will be separated by 5 points. Still lots to play for imo

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
View attachment 1040450

Clearly Mourinho instructed them to fluff chances and be offside. Same happened with Newcastle. Fluffed chances and didn’t get the 2nd. Other games have had similar problems. Not clinical enough and not getting any productivity from RW and playing without our most creative midfielder, by stupid choice.

Chelsea. Would take a point at the bridge, a traditional graveyard.

Wolves and Palace was more that they had speed (Traore and Zaha) and hemmed us in. Not really a proactive bus parking effort but more that we were put under the kosh.

Can those stats be broken down for each half?

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I personally believe the problem is a large portion of the fanbase never accepted Pochettino’s sacking, choosing instead for it to be Levy’s fault, and as such have never accepted or embraced Mourinho.

It’s not healthy not to move on. Yes we have had some frustrating draws but the late start and extra congestion to me has made this a more even season and everyone is dropping points at will.

As a hypothetical if Villa and City win games in hand then 2nd to 6th will be separated by 5 points. Still lots to play for imo
I know one of us hasn't accepted Mourinho but I'm all for the move once poch was sacked because it meant we are all in. Trophies within 1-2 years is a nice ambition which is what we did getting Jose in on the 2.5 year contract

Back