Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

On teh bench still - Marchbank/Newman/Docherty
Would the fact that Russell seems to build the players up for elite fitness over physical size have anything to do with it ? When you look at his own size compared to the trainer's from other teams like Melbourne , Geelong and Port I think one of them is Darren Burgess they are all huge and the players are the same but Russell is more built for speed not power . I don't know just a thought .

Russell in the latest report stated that last year Cripps was asked to lose weight and this year they are asking him to put it back on - I read that as an admission of error in 2020 - as far as Cripps conditioning goes.

OK. Stanley I presume..........just don’t mention Livingston or the board will be off on another tangent;)
Ha all good Stanley Tassie nothing to do with the Livingston creek mines... Ha pisser, very clever with tangent “in geometry”
Teague giving Dow the 3 votes for the best afield on the first day of training tells me he has made some improvements, also mentioned how good his kicking was which as we all know is his main area of need in terms of improvement, his need to improve his endurance would be cruelling his need to add body size as well I would think.
At this stage, I’d much rather Dow keep improving his endurance so he can run and compete for longer and show us his weapons while slowly building up his upper strength and muscle mass, it will hopefully help his defensive side, if he can really improve on his tackling and chasing that’s what will help begin to mould him into a much better footballer...

Yeah Willo has all the attributes to become one of the elite wingman in the competition if given the opportunity and game plan to excel, this needs to be implemented from Rd 1 as there is no room down back now and he is far to talented to not be used and developed into the next Isaac Smith.

With Willo on the left and Walsh on the right we would have a very damaging and electric pair of wings receiving from the half backs of Doc, Saad and co or receiving from the centre bounce set up of Cripps, Setters and Williams it just makes perfect sense for this to be our starting set up come Rd1
One of the positional moves I’m looking forward to the most Willo hopefully moving up and spending much more time on a wing, has all the attributes too become a really damaging winger...

Would the fact that Russell seems to build the players up for elite fitness over physical size have anything to do with it ? When you look at his own size compared to the trainer's from other teams like Melbourne , Geelong and Port I think one of them is Darren Burgess they are all huge and the players are the same but Russell is more built for speed not power . I don't know just a thought .
It’s a very salient point that you make, Russell has absolutely prioritised getting them AFL fit in terms of being able to run out games, I think once they are up to the endurance standard required we will see more growth in terms of body size, this especially applies to the younger players like Dow that didn’t have a great endurance base to start with.

Our fringe young players copped a hiding not having football last season. The scratch matches didn't promote hardened physical and high competitive football which is what they need.

These guys may need a good season in a real reserves comp to build their game. Dow, Stocker and O'Brien are prime examples of players who suffered due to not playing real football.

These guys need time playing tough, competitive football at the lower level to come into AFL in good form and develop their game properly.

What we need to be hoping for is that these young guys play prime roles and begin dominate in the VFL then move into the AFL with some maturity.

No need to get ahead of ourselves, let's just see if they can be developed and how they mature.

Russell in the latest report stated that last year Cripps was asked to lose weight and this year they are asking him to put it back on - I read that as an admission of error in 2020 - as far as Cripps conditioning goes.
Yeah and I think it is absolutely the right move with Cripps as he just lost to much strength in the contest last year and that is his 1 wood in terms of his game, I thought they had the balance pretty much right in 2019 in terms of him being able to run but still body up in the contest and hopefully they go back to that as his base setting for 2021 as then we will see him back to his bullocking contest smashing best, leave the hard running to the guys built for it which is why we added Williams and Saad.

PS: Still should have won goal of the year with his bullocking blind turning shrugging and running beauty of a goal to just remind the comp how good he is.

Last edited:
The AFL's stupid rule changes and stupid idea that making players tired will open up and improve the game is making it hard for young inside mids who aren't natural endurance runners like Dow and Stocker.

The reduced bench rotations will create more congestion as less skilled athletes play ahead of more skilled footballers and it will slow the game up as teams defend the back end more and tempo footy is played more. It's going to take longer to produce someone who has a big strong body and can run a marathon because they can't come on and off the bench and play in bursts like Judd did.

Our fringe young players copped a hiding not having football last season. The scratch matches didn't promote hardened physical and high competitive football which is what they need.

These guys may need a good season in a real reserves comp to build their game. Dow, Stocker and O'Brien are prime examples of players who suffered due to not playing real football.

These guys need time playing tough, competitive football at the lower level to come into AFL in good form and develop their game properly.

What we need to be hoping for is that these young guys play prime roles and begin dominate in the VFL then move into the AFL with some maturity.

No need to get ahead of ourselves, let's just see if they can be developed and how they mature.
Yeah and it’s only over the last 12-18 months that we have put our development coaches in place with the additions of Power, O’Keefe and most recently Torin Baker to properly develop the young guys so it will take time for that to start to really bite and take effect.

The fact we now have a stand alone VFL program led by O’Keefe to groom and develop our young cattle should start to really pay dividends the more they get to play together in proper competitive footy matches.

I’m hoping they still learnt and gained something from last year especially in terms of there outside games, ball movement, ball use etc.. but I guess we will have to wait and see, at a bare minimum at least they got to know each other well.

Yeah and it’s only over the last 12-18 months that we have put our development coaches in place with the additions of Power, O’Keefe and most recently Torin Baker to properly develop the young guys so it will take time for that to start to really bite and take effect.

The fact we now have a stand alone VFL program led by O’Keefe to groom and develop our young cattle should start to really pay dividends the more they get to play together in proper competitive footy matches.

I’m hoping they still learnt and gained something from last year especially in terms of there outside games, ball movement, ball use etc.. but I guess we will have to wait and see, at a bare minimum at least they got to know each other well.
Having our own team will be massive, development has been very limited with no footy, our dev coaches main tool is footy games so that's taken away our dev coaches main platform.

We have a lot of young talent so reserves footy is going to be so important and of great interest this year.

Having our own team will be massive, development has been very limited with no footy, our dev coaches main tool is footy games so that's taken away our dev coaches main platform.

We have a lot of young talent so reserves footy is going to be so important and of great interest this year.

Good to have you back posting, I hope your New Year/Chrissie was good mate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps wanted to add speed. Wasn't solely a conditioning/coaching suggestion.

Loved seeing Russel's comments about Crippa putting his size and strength back on. Hopefully he's back to doing what he does best in 2021.

Hopefully thats being the inside bull, not carrying the whole bloody midfield .....

Im not panicking about dow, different young players mature at different rates, i feel hes an inside mid without a strong second position, tough gig for a 21yo
And the reality is hes behind cripps, setters, ed, williams, and walsh, then theres the second tier of murph, martin, fish, cunners, and sps, hes now in the youngest midfield brigade with obrien, philp, and kemp
Hes got time
What’s this.. development is not linear?

not sure where I’ve heard that said before .

May have paraphrased but I read it as building that strength and a bit of size up. So the 2021 Cripps well see is closer to the midfield beast rather than the trimmer Cripps.
Legit question: Is an increase in strength necessarily attributed to increase in weight?

Legit question: Is an increase in strength necessarily attributed to increase in weight?

Not at all ... completely depends on your short and long twitch muscle makeup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back