Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those in the know about batting, trigger movements, yea or nay? Ponting style-forward press or back and across?

I was thinking of the back and across to open the stance up and get the feet moving, as I am only doing half steps forward or back to the ball, which leaves me in no-mans land.

do you play on mats or turf?

Mats, unfortunately.

Mate Themanbun played at a high level as did I.

Mine more bowling but I've faced lots of State level quicks. (Hilfenhaus in my year group and played for Aust)

I much preferred to keep back foot in place and move front. However many very good batsmen (much better than me) like Dan Marsh moved both feet to cover.

Michael Diva used to be a prick to bowl to as he'd play off front foot but smack you if too short as so quick going back.

Others like Dan moved more sideways and both very, very good players.

If you want my advice I'd say do what feels most comfortable to you BUT do it well (I didnt)

Mate Themanbun played at a high level as did I.

Mine more bowling but I've faced lots of State level quicks. (Hilfenhaus in my year group and played for Aust)

I much preferred to keep back foot in place and move front. However many very good batsmen (much better than me) like Dan Marsh moved both feet to cover.

Michael Diva used to be a prick to bowl to as he'd play off front foot but smack you if too short as so quick going back.

Others like Dan moved more sideways and both very, very good players.

If you want my advice I'd say do what feels most comfortable to you BUT do it well (I didnt)

Trained* at a high level 😂. I was just making up the numbers at Premier level!

Trained* at a high level 😂. I was just making up the numbers at Premier level!

I'm not sure what Premier level means mate?

In Tassie we had 1st, 2nd and so on in Grade.

No Premier level. All the State Players played 1sts when came back.

I was mostly 2nds as Troy Cooley and Adam Griffith better (I was quicker btw (sounds silly but yes I was. I hit them many times)..but they had height and strength and bounce - good batsman love pace if short imo)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Premier level means mate?

In Tassie we had 1st, 2nd and so on in Grade.

No Premier level. All the State Players played 1sts when came back.

I was mostly 2nds as Troy Cooley and Adam Griffith better (I was quicker btw (sounds silly but yes I was. I hit them many times)..but they had height and strength and bounce - good batsman love pace if short imo)

Sorry, Premier in Vic is Grade cricket everywhere else.

Most local stuff is club, and the in-between Premier and Club is sub-district.

Simplified it tonight with picking up the line and length early and going with a mental prompt to get into position early and waiting for it to come into my zone.

Either forward and across/straight (dependent on the line) and vice versa for the back foot. Worked a treat with a weakened bottom hand and open stance.

Simplified it tonight with picking up the line and length early and going with a mental prompt to get into position early and waiting for it to come into my zone.

Either forward and across/straight (dependent on the line) and vice versa for the back foot. Worked a treat with a weakened bottom hand and open stance.

Mate keep as still as possible.

I couldn't as scared of bouncers at 15OK but the good players (not me) stay very still.

Head upright at all times. (yes I've had coaching from the best.....I just wasn't good enough)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really depends on the synthetic. All weather pitches installed in 2008-2016 tend to be bouncy as all hell and if you drive on them you're asking to get out. Virtually everything short of a half volley can be played back foot.

More recently installed synthetic pitches emulate the bounce of turf a little better (although still zip off the pitch and don't slow like turf generally does) and you can get good reward for front foot shots.

I expected moving from turf to synthetic a few years ago that it'd far more consistent among synthetic pitches than it actually is.

145ks on mats with a batsman sitting back is LBW every single time.

You won't find anyone at 145kph on synthetic IMO. Quickest I've seen would be lucky to touch 130m. Most A grade blokes 110-115.

145kph on synthetic would be likely to severely hurt someone and be impossible to play

No mate.
Maybe different in Vic.
We trained on mats due weather.

I assure you 145 very achievable by Gerard Denton and co on mats

You won't find anyone at 145kph on synthetic IMO. Quickest I've seen would be lucky to touch 130m. Most A grade blokes 110-115.

145kph on synthetic would be likely to severely hurt someone and be impossible to play
I played lower level suburban cricket in Newcastle and almost every team had at least one bloke capable of bowling 110-115. Most weren't accurate. 120-25 is the fastest I faced and I craped my pants. Lucky he overpitched it a lot, but I didn't wait for his short ball.

I was fortunate to play on turf for most of my career. I am now playing on the gold coast and everything is synthetic for everyone but top grade.

No mate.
Maybe different in Vic.
We trained on mats due weather.

I assure you 145 very achievable by Gerard Denton and co on mats

Grade cricketers training sure, but if someone turned up to the local leagues and started cranking them out at 145kph (especially on the older all weather pitches, not so much the newer ones which play a bit lower) ,I'd have an ambulance on stand by!

I played lower level suburban cricket in Newcastle and almost every team had at least one bloke capable of bowling 110-115. Most weren't accurate. 120-25 is the fastest I faced and I craped my pants. Lucky he overpitched it a lot, but I didn't wait for his short ball.

I was fortunate to play on turf for most of my career. I am now playing on the gold coast and everything is synthetic for everyone but top grade.

Last year I watched a former Vic player (won't name names) jump around on synthetic against a bloke who touches 125kph. Kind of surprised us all but he reckoned it took him a season or so to get used to the pace and bounce of synthetic pitches.

It feels a lot faster than turf. It's great when it's a comfortable pace because it comes onto the bat so nicely but when they start cranking them up it goes from awesome to frightening pretty quickly, especially as the short ball doesn't lose much zip off the deck.

Grade cricketers training sure, but if someone turned up to the local leagues and started cranking them out at 145kph (especially on the older all weather pitches, not so much the newer ones which play a bit lower) ,I'd have an ambulance on stand by!

Oh absolutely.

You mightn't know but due to weather we have a 4 lane indoor training centre. Most clubs used it.

It might have changed but due to special grip on main lane yes the quicks scary (as indoors hard to see too)

Domain Tas.

Last year I watched a former Vic player (won't name names) jump around on synthetic against a bloke who touches 125kph. Kind of surprised us all but he reckoned it took him a season or so to get used to the pace and bounce of synthetic pitches.

It feels a lot faster than turf. It's great when it's a comfortable pace because it comes onto the bat so nicely but when they start cranking them up it goes from awesome to frightening pretty quickly, especially as the short ball doesn't lose much zip off the deck.
Sometimes you don't know what you'll get with synthetic pitches. Some are a bit tennis ball up and down (newer ones) and some have low skiddy bounce at one end and high bounce at the other.

145ks on mats with a batsman sitting back is LBW every single time.

lol how many bowlers do you think you’ve faced who bowl 145?

That’s quick.

No offence to K4e but his village level wouldn’t have anyone close to that.

Riley Meredith would be the only Tasmanian that bowls 145+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back