Optimism Levels For 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because 2020 is ticking over to 2021 don't expect anything to change. Life will continue to be very different from dear old 2019, until they get a vaccine that CURES the disease (is that possible?) instead of just reducing symptoms. We will have premiers bobbing up to close borders and lock us down until then. It will play havoc once again with the footy codes - hubs, sudden last-minute changes of venue, isolation prior to games, reduced crowds, players and clubs getting themselves fined for not following "covid-safe" rules.

Quarantine in remote areas would be a logistical nightmare - transporting them, guarding them, cleaning them, keeping them supplied with food and other necessities, etc etc.

But on the optimistic side - our team is looking good, if only they get a chance to show it! :)

This is true but sending all arrivals to Howard springs (or equivalent) is still millions cheaper than closing borders, shutting businesses etc every time it gets into the community and there is ample evidence it will keep doing that. There are a bunch of aircrew hotels in manly and I’m sure this came into that area because aircrew have been allowed to roam free (flabbergasting). Shutting that avenue is as important a move as the entire hotel program has ever been and it’s federal government controlled. Hope someone can track Scomo down in Hawaiii and let him know.....

Agree. I'm having deja vu feelings (all over again).

Predicting the future isn't what it used to be. Who would have anticipated that?

You should stop predicting the future then. Try predicting something else. If only I could predict the future- I would never have become a clairvoyant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically we need to get Dunkley through the full season so we can at least get father sons if he does leave at the end of the season..
... or finals ;)

I just want to see players played to their strengths. If I see Caleb at full back, Crozier or Woody in the forward line, Bont rucking, or any other “versatile” moves, I’ll explode.

This is my main concern also. Bev sometimes just seems so stubborn and will stick to his vision no matter how many games we lose to prove his point. I think it’s a “legacy” thing like Terry Wallace when he wanted to show the world that his vision of how football should be played with 22 Jordan McMahon types was the future even if we missed finals 10 years in a row to prove it.

This is my main concern also. Bev sometimes just seems so stubborn and will stick to his vision no matter how many games we lose to prove his point. I think it’s a “legacy” thing like Terry Wallace when he wanted to show the world that his vision of how football should be played with 22 Jordan McMahon types was the future even if we missed finals 10 years in a row to prove it.
Yes, but most often it DOESN'T prove his point, just proves it doesn't work. Must be frustrating for the players. Didn't Hardwick ask his players to contribute to the game plan and that's what they asked for, to play in their individual best positions?

We all get frustrated when it doesn’t work but: Naughton was a great key back and played well there and now is a key forward; crozier was a forward now a great HBF; Wallis was an inside mid now medium forward, Cordy out of position in a GF win etc.

We need to get the best out of our talent and that means giving a few things a try - and if they don’t work - move on (ie no more Wood forward!). I am more concerned about solving weaknesses than players having to play out of position.

Already bought GF tickets we are going to the big dance!

Na similar to others the backline is still not that great. Still dont feel confident we can stop teams from scoring everything else I am ok with

We all get frustrated when it doesn’t work but: Naughton was a great key back and played well there and now is a key forward; crozier was a forward now a great HBF; Wallis was an inside mid now medium forward, Cordy out of position in a GF win etc.

We need to get the best out of our talent and that means giving a few things a try - and if they don’t work - move on (ie no more Wood forward!). I am more concerned about solving weaknesses than players having to play out of position.

2016 was won largely on the back of Bevo tinkering with positions. M.Boyd at half back seemed ridiculous at the time and allowing Picken to play freely as a HF/Mid. Most of those moves were set very early in the season though. I'm not a fan of tinkering with things from week to week. We spent all of last pre season hearing about the possibility of a 3 pronged attack with Schache Naughton and Bruce and we never saw it once.

Hopefully the really weird s**t stops next year. I wasn't a fan of Duryea coming in when all the players in his position were playing well and had been all year, wasn't a fan of Porter playing for seemingly no reason, wasn't a fan of Lachy Young being named without a spot on the field that suited him available, wasn't a fan of letting Bruce go goaless for so many games on the trot without change, wasn't a fan of the extremely odd tall team selection in round 1 and wasn't a fan of Gardner keeping his spot ahead of a few others/not needing 3 KPD's.

I think Bevo had a bit of a stinker last year. I'm hoping we have a better idea of what the 22 looks like by round 1 than last season.

Last edited:
The ones have it in 21. Number 1 draft pick, Number 1 player in the Trade period, number 1 team at end of the season. As John Farnham once sang one is the loneliest number and in footy it is because all the other teams envy you. Ah for that 2016 feeling again.

1. Adam Treloar in bulldogs colours. Adam Treloar playing in our midfield

2. Generational forward Talent in JUH taking his first steps in what will be a super exciting career.

3. Aaron Naughton fit and firing.

4. Bailey Smith breaking PB records and set to go to another level.

5. Steph Martin providing much needed ruck support and mentor ship to English.

6. games back at Marvel with a pretty solid fixture draw.

7. Quarters back up to 20 mins + interchange down to 75 to maximise our midfield depth.

Take your pick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back