Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton will match anything WCE or Freo could offer. He is our captain and the face of our brand, and as it stands is our best player by a fair margin. Would be in crisis if we didn’t.

Tipping he signs a 2 year deal which is his most logical option. Not expecting any monster deals this season.
Surely he'll be seeking a long-term deal. If a WA club offers four or five years, I doubt he signs a two-year deal to stay.

Surely he'll be seeking a long-term deal. If a WA club offers four or five years, I doubt he signs a two-year deal to stay.

I think we’ll match anything this year and force a trade which I don’t think Freo or WCE will be too keen on for different reasons.

Signing a 2 year deal on 1m-1.1m?? and getting to unrestricted makes sense for Cripps if he wants to keep his options open.

I think we’ll match anything this year and force a trade which I don’t think Freo or WCE will be too keen on for different reasons.

Signing a 2 year deal on 1m-1.1m?? and getting to unrestricted makes sense for Cripps if he wants to keep his options open.
These statements seem contradictory.

If a WA club offers four or five years, and you match it, why would he sign for two years? Surely he'd sign up for the $5 million on offer.

He's unlikely to command the same money as a UFA two years down the line.

Carlton will match anything WCE or Freo could offer. He is our captain and the face of our brand, and as it stands is our best player by a fair margin. Would be in crisis if we didn’t.

Tipping he signs a 2 year deal which is his most logical option. Not expecting any monster deals this season.
So he is an unrestricted free agent in two years time?

AFL players don't turn down long term security. If he has an offer on the table for the rest of his career at elite money back home but is happy to stay at Carlton, then you'll be working to match that offer prior to paperwork being lodged. His manager will remind him that every player is one injury away from the end of their career.

There is too much publicity good and bad involved in Carlton signing their captain for the rest of his career - good, and too much bad should they have to wait until he signs to leave to another club to offer what he is worth.

I'll say it here, if Carlton haven't secured Cripps before the start of the free agency period then they lose him and it will be for an AFL provided compensation pick.

Last edited:
So a grab bag of picks in the late teens and 20s?
I guess so. Maybe throw in pick 37. lol

After a failed attempt to return home to Western Australia 12 months ago, Kelly will join West Coast on a six-year deal valued at more than $4m. The Cats receive this year's picks 14, 24 and 37 plus next year's first-round selection in exchange for Kelly, pick 57 and a future third-round selection.

If a WA club offers four or five years, and you match it, why would he sign for two years? Surely he'd sign up for the $5 million on offer.

Oh yes. You seem to be forgetting a very important fact though - you are able to 'move money' around on behalf of the West Coast Eagles.

I'm sure you will find a way.

If we match a deal he either signs a with us or you trade for him. I can’t see WCE or Freo wanting to trade any big assets for him.

Signing on big money for 2 years and keeping his options open as an UFA makes sense. Plenty of players have done similar and I don’t see why he wouldn’t get big offers in 2 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he is an unrestricted free agent in two years time?

AFL players don't turn down long term security. If he has an offer on the table for the rest of his career at elite money back home but is happy to stay at Carlton, then you'll be working to match that offer prior to paperwork being lodged. His manager will remind him that every player is one injury away from the end of their career.

There is too much publicity good and bad involved in Carlton signing their captain for the rest of his career - good, and too much bad should they have to wait until he signs to leave to another club to offer what he is worth.

I'll say it here, if Carlton haven't secured Cripps before the start of the free agency period then they lose him and it will be for an AFL provided compensation pick.

Nah. I’m extremely confident we’ll match any offer next off season (should he want to leave) and it’ll take a Cameron type deal at the trade table for him to move.

To lose Cripps, our captain and one of the best players in the game, for a single mid first round pick, is fantasy stuff.

I guess so. Maybe throw in pick 37. lol

After a failed attempt to return home to Western Australia 12 months ago, Kelly will join West Coast on a six-year deal valued at more than $4m. The Cats receive this year's picks 14, 24 and 37 plus next year's first-round selection in exchange for Kelly, pick 57 and a future third-round selection.
Sorry, what's your point?

Oh yes. You seem to be forgetting a very important fact though - you are able to 'move money' around on behalf of the West Coast Eagles.

I'm sure you will find a way.
I won't be moving anything around. What are you prattling about?

The point is that a player Cripps' age is unlikely to sign for two years if there's a longer-term offer on big money available.

To lose Cripps, our captain and one of the best players in the game, for a single mid first round pick, is fantasy stuff.
I think expecting a deal that has happened exactly once ever in the history of restricted free agent movement is the fantasy.

Carlton's chance to sign him for big money on long terms is currently open and will be all year.

If we match a deal he either signs a with us or you trade for him. I can’t see WCE or Freo wanting to trade any big assets for him.

Signing on big money for 2 years and keeping his options open as an UFA makes sense. Plenty of players have done similar and I don’t see why he wouldn’t get big offers in 2 years time.
But why would he sign for two years if you've matched a deal for four or five years?

Surely that's counterintuitive. Surely you take the guaranteed money for longer.

I'm not sure how you define "big assets" but I assume a combination of first-rounders would be involved in any such trade, should it come to that.

I think expecting a deal that has happened exactly once ever in the history of restricted free agent movement is the fantasy.

Carlton's chance to sign him for big money on long terms is currently open and will be all year.

We don’t have to match the deal. You’d still be trading for him.

But why would he sign for two years if you've matched a deal for four or five years?

Surely that's counterintuitive. Surely you take the guaranteed money for longer.

I'm not sure how you define "big assets" but I assume a combination of first-rounders would be involved in any such trade, should it come to that.

I’m predicting he’ll sign a 2 year deal during the year which takes him to unrestricted free agency and keeps his options open, like many players have in the past.

I doubt he’ll sign a 2 year deal after fielding and accepting free agency offers. That would be strange.

We don’t have to match the deal. You’d still be trading for him.
The player and the club can come to alternative terms, that's true. Why does he sign for less money and less years with Carlton if he seeks to go home for family reasons?

Carlton's opportunity to sign him for those smaller terms is open from this second until free agency begins, because after that he is making the decision to extend his career for better money elsewhere. How does Carlton sell that to it's members?

The player and the club can come to alternative terms, that's true. Why does he sign for less money and less years with Carlton if he seeks to go home for family reasons?

Carlton's opportunity to sign him for those smaller terms is open from this second until free agency begins, because after that he is making the decision to extend his career for better money elsewhere. How does Carlton sell that to it's members?

It wouldn’t be less money or years. I’m sure we’ll match and most likely beat anything Freo or West Coast offer. I’m not sure why you think Cripps won’t be well compensated at Carlton. He can almost write his own cheque at this stage.

It wouldn’t be less money or years. I’m sure we’ll match and most likely beat anything Freo or West Coast offer. I’m not sure why you think Cripps won’t be well compensated at Carlton. He can almost write his own cheque at this stage.
My position is clear on this but I'll write it here again for absolute clarity.

Carlton can sign Cripps for that offer that beats anything Freo or West Coast can offer, that isn't less money or years, at anytime.

If he hasn't signed that deal by the time free agency opens, probably before the end of the finals series, then he is gone.

I don't think Carlton will expect to get better return from either Freo or West Coast in a trade than they would get as AFL compensation either. I understand that Carlton would have their eyes on Cerra, Serong, Young etc and if I were Carlton I would be putting monstrous offers in front of all of them to try and pry them loose while under contract.

I wouldn't have a problem paying two first round picks for Cripps, but I don't think it will come to that.

My position is clear on this but I'll write it here again for absolute clarity.

Carlton can sign Cripps for that offer that beats anything Freo or West Coast can offer, that isn't less money or years, at anytime.

If he hasn't signed that deal by the time free agency opens, probably before the end of the finals series, then he is gone.

I don't think Carlton will expect to get better return from either Freo or West Coast in a trade than they would get as AFL compensation either. I understand that Carlton would have their eyes on Cerra, Serong, Young etc and if I were Carlton I would be putting monstrous offers in front of all of them to try and pry them loose while under contract.

I wouldn't have a problem paying two first round picks for Cripps, but I don't think it will come to that.

We’d absolutely expect a better return than a single first round pick, which is where I think we differ.

If Freo or West Coast aren’t keen to put a reasonable deal on the table then he isn’t going this off season.

I’m predicting he’ll sign a 2 year deal during the year which takes him to unrestricted free agency and keeps his options open, like many players have in the past.
It would mean negotiating another contract in two years, when he will have less negotiating power.

How many elite FAs have signed a two-year deal to "keep their options open"?

Why do you reckon Brodie Grundy signed a deal until 2027? Surely it would have made more sense for him to sign for two more years and "keep his options open"?

You sign when you have the power to negotiate the best possible terms and you then seek to maximise that. For Cripps, that's now, not in two years.

I doubt he’ll sign a 2 year deal after fielding and accepting free agency offers. That would be strange.
It would be. But it would also be a bit strange for Cripps to sign a two-year deal if there's four or five years on offer.

Right. But you're saying he'll sign for two years? That's what I don't get.

Surely he seeks a longer deal with guaranteed money into his 30s while he's in a position to write his own cheque, as you say.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back