Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When did South Australia last produce a champion batsman at international level? it's been donkeys I don't buy into the favouritism of other states with selectors too much tbh Lehmann was in garbage physical condition for a lot of his career & Blewett played over 40 tests with fatal flaws in his game on the hope he'd get it together because he played the odd blinder & was classy to the eye.

Ferguson was poorly treated I guess in the one test dumping but he was hardly a shield run machine lets hope Trav gets it together it's paltry reading since the Chappells.

when boof was around you were allowed to be a fat prick though

max klinger is the one that sticks out for me when he was dominating shield. he was a transfer to SA anyway but it was in a period when it was incredibly difficult to break into the side. i feel he should have got a shot over a few others though.

cosgrove looked like he could be anything but just became a fat potato

other than fergie there's not much to write home about. carey the other one with a chance of making a career of it though i think he's pinned as a short form player now

max klinger is the one that sticks out for me when he was dominating shield. he was a transfer to SA anyway but it was in a period when it was incredibly difficult to break into the side. i feel he should have got a shot over a few others though.

other than fergie there's not much to write home about. carey the other one with a chance of making a career of it though i think he's pinned as a short form player now
Remember the two spinners who were gonna take the world by storm? Cullen & Bailey they disappeared quicker than a bucket of KFC at Cosgrove's house.

If Matthew Wade fails again will he get the same treatment as Travis Head?

The trouble is atm it is either Test cricket or oblivion. I have sympathy for Travis Head and Joe Burns because if you get dropped from the Test side there is no way you can regain some form in the Sheffield Shield competition and impress the selectors. It is a lot like the AFL was last season you are either in the side or watching.

Ponting once described Cosgrove as a very gifted batsmen with huge potential, which is why I recall he had some influence with his move to Tas after SA dropped him when he chose his 'KFC lifestyle' ahead of cricket.
I also recall Cosgrove's classic comeback/quote to those questioning his fitness at the time; 'Mate, running is for batsmen that can't hit boundaries!'....

Why can't SA produce Test cricketers?

As Michael Hussey's 2020 report into the State of SA Cricket suggests the system in SA is flawed. The SACA has too many mediocre players making up the numbers in it's grade competition. If you want to produce good Shield players they have to come through a strong and competitive grass roots competition. Expanding the competition was huge mistake and one which the SACA seems incapable of undoing. Trim the competitiom back to 10 clubs and you might improve the standard. At least that is what Mr Cricket thinks and like so many others I have to agree with him.

In fact it is bloody amazing, the SACA commission Michael Hussey to look into SA cricket and he comes up with the same thing they have been told for ******* years. SA cricket is run by idiots and the results speak for themselves. If you read the recommendations in Michael Hussey's report (in the link below) there is nothing in it that the SACA executives could not have come up with themselves. Faster pitches, decent coaching and a smaller district competition what is so mind bogglingly new in any of that?

From the Hussey review...

2(b) Reduce the number of Premier Cricket teams to between 8 - 10 and remove the bye. This decision to be made by the clubs.

Of course the problem is the decision should be a SACA executive decision as leaving it to the clubs will mean nothing happens as they will not vote themselves out of existence. I suspect the SACA Constitution prevents an executive decision at present so there has to be a constitutional change.

Looks like Ben McDermott has gone ahead of Travis Head in Shane Warne's view. Warnie writes, 'I know I have only got the Big Bash by which to judge but I think Mcdermott is next cab off the rank'. That is the problem Shane, we only have T20 to go by and as players like Glen Maxwell have shown T20 and Test cricket are two entirely different propositions.

In the longer form of the game McDermott has made just two first class centuries and has a batting average of 34.00 in 67 innings so how does that put him ahead of a player who has 14 first class centuries and an average nearing 40.00 ? It is not as if age is any factor as Mc Dermott is less than twelve months younger than Head. Travis Head still has a Test batting average of 39.75 yet he is washed up. On the other hand Matthew Wade who has a Test batting average of just 30.15 and Marcus Harris who has a batting average of 24.6 are both still in the team while Head, who is better performed than both is now on Warnie's scrapheap.

Of course the other thing friend Warne has overlooked is if Ben McDermott were to replace Matthew Wade we would have Pucovski (1 Test), McDermott (0 Tests) and Green (4 Tests) in the top 6. The puts a lot of the load on Smith, an out of form Warner and Lauschagne. If the 36 year old Tim Paine keeps turfing chances he might also get the chop which would mean more in experience.

Granted, Travis Head has had a run of outs lately but writing him off as Shane Warne appears to have done is premature.

Last edited:
Looks like Ben McDermott has gone ahead of Travis Head in Shane Warne's view. Warnie writes, 'I know I have only got the Big Bash by which to judge but I think Mcdermott is next cab off the rank'. That is the problem Shane, we only have T20 to go by and as players like Glen Maxwell have shown T20 and Test cricket are two entirely different propositions.

In the longer form of the game McDermott has made just two first class centuries and has a batting average of 34.00 in 67 innings so how does that put him ahead of a player who has 14 first class centuries and an average nearing 40.00 ? It is not as if age is any factor as Mc Dermott is less than twelve months younger than Head. Travis Head still has a Test batting average of 39.75 yet he is washed up. On the other hand Matthew Wade who has a Test batting average of just 30.15 and Marcus Harris who has a batting average of 24.6 are both still in the team while Head, who is better performed than both is now on Warnie's scrapheap.

Of course the other thing friend Warne has overlooked is if Ben McDermott were to replace Matthew Wade we would have Pucovski (1 Test), McDermott (0 Tests) and Green (4 Tests) in the top 6. The puts a lot of the load on Smith, an out of form Warner and Lauschagne. If the 36 year old Tim Paine keeps turfing chances he might also get the chop which would mean more in experience.

Granted, Travis Head has had a run of outs lately but writing him off as Shane Warne appears to have done is premature.
Warne talks too much crap, no doubt a few hair transplants & plenty of durries have f***ed up his brain.

I don't think I have seen a test team forced to change 3 of their 5 bowlers between tests all because of injury. Reckon I've seen 3 bowlers miss the next test, 1 or 2 players dropped, but not all injured.

If India win this test it will be a miracle when your lead bowler is only playing his 3rd test. If they draw the game and retain the trophy it will be as good as a series win.

So over 4 tests India will have used 20 players. I doubt a touring team has ever used that many players in a 4, 5 or 6 test match series anywhere in the world.

I do remember England in 1989 using 29 players at home in the 6 tests, but that was because of the rebel tour to South Africa which meant about 10 players were only selected for 1, 2 or 3 tests after the news broke of the tour mid series, and those players weren't selected again. Plus so many others were dropped for poor form. I'm pretty sure 29 is the record for players used by a team in a series.

India are missing 6 of their best 11, How would Oz go without Smith, Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon and Green? This is who has played for India - 6 test debutants in the series. Gabba test might be the first time they have played 4 fast bowlers. But they have a long tail with Pant batting at 6.

Batters
Kohli, Shaw, Agarwal, Gill (debut), Puraja, Rahane, Vihari, Sharma

Wicketkeepers
Saha, Pant

Fast Bowlers
Bumrah, Shami, Yadav, Siraj (debut), Sani (debut) Natarajan (debut) Thakur (debut)

Spinners
Ashwin, Jadeja, Washington (debut)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I have seen a test team forced to change 3 of their 5 bowlers between tests all because of injury. Reckon I've seen 3 bowlers miss the next test, 1 or 2 players dropped, but not all injured.

If India win this test it will be a miracle when your lead bowler is only playing his 3rd test. If they draw the game and retain the trophy it will be as good as a series win.

So over 4 tests India will have used 20 players. I doubt a touring team has ever used that many players in a 4, 5 or 6 test match series anywhere in the world.

I do remember England in 1989 using 29 players at home in the 6 tests, but that was because of the rebel tour to South Africa which meant about 10 players were only selected for 1, 2 or 3 tests after the news broke of the tour mid series, and those players weren't selected again. Plus so many others were dropped for poor form. I'm pretty sure 29 is the record for players used by a team in a series.

India are missing 6 of their best 11, How would Oz go without Smith, Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon and Green? This is who has played for India - 6 test debutants in the series. Gabba test might be the first time they have played 4 fast bowlers. But they have a long tail with Pant batting at 6.

Batters
Kohli, Shaw, Agarwal, Gill (debut), Puraja, Rahane, Vihari, Sharma

Wicketkeepers
Saha, Pant

Fast Bowlers
Bumrah, Shami, Yadav, Siraj (debut), Sani (debut) Natarajan (debut) Thakur (debut)

Spinners
Ashwin, Jadeja, Washington (debut)

For years we've been a very ordinary batting side, propped up by 2 elite bats (Smith and Warner, now Smith and lasagna) and a good bowling attack.

For years we've been a very ordinary batting side, propped up by 2 elite bats (Smith and Warner, now Smith and lasagna) and a good bowling attack.
The last 10 years test cricket has returned to normalcy.

Home teams dominate home series, rarely win series away from home. We have batted well enough in home conditions.

24 different opening partnerships for Australia since 2016 - it's a real problem for us.
7 started their coverage with Matt Hayden interviewing Justin Langer on the Gabba - no hugging, spatially distanced.

They racked up 6,000 runs as an opening pair. Think only Warner and Rogers have racked up 1,500 runs or more as an opening pair since Langer retired in 2007. They racked up just over 2,000 runs together.

Last edited:
7 started their coverage with Matt Hayden interviewing Justin Langer on the Gabba - no hugging, spatially distanced.

They racked up 6,000 runs as an opening pair. Think only Warner and Rogers have racked up 1,500 runs or more as an opening pair since Langer retired in 2007. They rack up just over 2,000 runs together.
Hopefully Pucovski gets his body right, and has an extended run at the top of the order.

Hopefully Pucovski gets his body right, and has an extended run at the top of the order.
Yeah he looks good, but its been a shaky start to his career with various issues.

I don't know if Warner's groin issues are affecting his footwork, but he looks a bit like his England 20019 form.

Yeah he looks good, but its been a shaky start to his career with various issues.

I don't know if Warner's groin issues are affecting his footwork, but he looks a bit like his England 20019 form.
Warner is now 34, so maybe injuries are taking a bit longer to recover from than they used to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back