The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are you fellas buying these non alc beers? I shop at mane pretty regularly and both of those are way cheaper than what you’ve stated above. Bought a 4 pack of each over Xmas and pretty sure I paid $14 a 4 pack for heaps normals and $13 for the new age

on a side note, I’m a big sour beer fan and they’ve got a passionfruit non alcoholic sour which is outrageously good. But like you boys said, expeno

Was doing a search online for that Heaps Normal and only saw the Dan Murphy's price - hadn't actually seen it in person. Thanks for the heads up, will pop down to Mane later in the week and pick up a pack of each.

What were your thoughts on them?

Was doing a search online for that Heaps Normal and only saw the Dan Murphy's price - hadn't actually seen it in person. Thanks for the heads up, will pop down to Mane later in the week and pick up a pack of each.

What were your thoughts on them?
Thought heaps normal was bloody impressive for a non alcoholic beer. I ended up buying a carton of it a week later. Super clean and good bitterness. New age was also good but it comes across as a kind of west coast style or more malt heavy IPA which I’m not huge on. But can see the appeal

Where are you fellas buying these non alc beers? I shop at mane pretty regularly and both of those are way cheaper than what you’ve stated above. Bought a 4 pack of each over Xmas and pretty sure I paid $14 a 4 pack for heaps normals and $13 for the new age

on a side note, I’m a big sour beer fan and they’ve got a passionfruit non alcoholic sour which is outrageously good. But like you boys said, expeno

If you're a regular they'll knock off a bit. I just checked Copper and Oak website which has New Age at $16. Beer Cartel has 6 pack price at $23, and from Dainton themselves it's $40 for half a carton, so over $13/4 pack plus freight.

But like I said, i reckon the bottlo I grabbed them from were probably confused into buying them and then just tried to sell them off as full alcohol beers. I didn't have my finger on the pulse of what's new because these days it's a bit overwhelming, and at the price point I thought it was a good option (given a big IPA Dainton 4-pack is probably $25-30?). I suspect I paid about $19 but I'd be guessing.

Anyone looked into the cals of these no alcohol beers?

If you're a regular they'll knock off a bit. I just checked Copper and Oak website which has New Age at $16. Beer Cartel has 6 pack price at $23, and from Dainton themselves it's $40 for half a carton, so over $13/4 pack plus freight.

But like I said, i reckon the bottlo I grabbed them from were probably confused into buying them and then just tried to sell them off as full alcohol beers. I didn't have my finger on the pulse of what's new because these days it's a bit overwhelming, and at the price point I thought it was a good option (given a big IPA Dainton 4-pack is probably $25-30?). I suspect I paid about $19 but I'd be guessing.

Anyone looked into the cals of these no alcohol beers?
That's not something any of us should ever do ;)

Yeah thought about this, guessing alcohol is exempt from supplying the nutritional info.

I haven't dug around but I'm guessing they're still not that crash hot if you're on a health kick. A great option if you are avoiding booze itself but don't care so much about the calories/weight, and equally as good an option for when you want to mingle and feel like you're part of the party, but if it's a Wednesday arvo and you've knocked off at home I still reckon a sparkling water with some citrus will do the trick.

Speaking of Mane, I went there about a fortnight ago to grab a few beers and needed to get my wife some crud wine she drinks and asked the hipster douche behind the counter if they had it and he scoffed at me. Cut my rep deep, still hurting now. Gonna go back there and crush him, then grab some tins.

I've only tried a couple of the low/no alcohol beers. Tracked down the Sobah range after seeing a piece on Australian Story about them.

I was driving for chrissy day, so thought it would be a good idea. Had their pepperberry IPA, as Dan said earlier - these do lack mouthfeel, but enjoyed it for what it was.

Back from our jaunt to Adelaide. enjoyable couple of weeks drinking and eating with a bit of walking chucked in.
Best beer I drank while there was the Plus One Oat Cream DDH IPA, which was a collaboration between Range and Shapeshifters.
Smooth, Juicy and ultra hazy.
Best pubs were the Uraidla up in the hills, had some tasty beers brewing and you gotta love a pub with a sense of humour, the other pub in town has a sign saying "Australia's best Pub" The Uraidla has one saying "Uraidla's worst Pub", made me laugh anyway.
The other place I enjoyed was the Suburban Tap Room, a little gypsy brewer with a taproom open on weekends in a shed deep in suburbia, they do a black IPA which was pretty tasty.
Liver needs a rest after being assaulted with wine and beer for the last couple of weeks, 2 days without feels like a month already.......what problem.

JDWCE getting some of the Julius Squeezer? Stopped by Boston VP and grabbed a couple and a few others on the way home. Loving the Double Afterglose.

Also DanWCE you'll be glad to know I submitted my GABs votes and 4 out of my top 5 were for Balter.*

*But really it went:

1: Beerfarm IPL
2: Nail VPA
3: Beerfarm Asam Boi
4: Feral Warhog
5: Eagle Bay Kolsch

Time of the year heavily influences the votes IMO, 6 months ago it would've been all IPA's and stouts.

Last edited:
JDWCE getting some of the Julius Squeezer? Stopped by Boston VP and grabbed a couple and a few others on the way home. Loving the Double Afterglose.

Also DanWCE you'll be glad to know I submitted my GABs votes and 4 out of my top 5 were for Balter.*

*But really it went:

1: Beerfarm IPL
2: Nail VPA
3: Beerfarm Asam Boi
4: Feral Warhog
5: Eagle Bay Kolsch

Time of the year heavily influences the votes IMO, 6 months ago it would've been all IPA's and stouts.
* I’m hanging for Julius. Will be there tomorrow for sure.

You can bet on Sportsbet on the GAbS hottest 100. I’ve got Balter hazy at $7. Even XPA potentially at $5. Both great value I think. I’ve got hazy in my top. Thought Beerfarm mane event was my best beer of last year. Also highly rate Beerfarm’s Royal haze. Mine was:

1. Beerfarm The Mane Event
2. Mr Banks Mcconahugh Hazy Pale
3. Balter hazy
4. Beerfarm Royal haze
5. Wildflower Table Beer

fu** I’m hanging for Julius. Will be there tomorrow for sure.

You can bet on Sportsbet on the GAbS hottest 100. I’ve got Balter hazy at $7. Even XPA potentially at $5. Both great value I think. I’ve got hazy in my top. Thought Beerfarm mane event was my best beer of last year. Also highly rate Beerfarm’s Royal haze. Mine was:

1. Beerfarm The Mane Event
2. Mr Banks Mcconahugh Hazy Pale
3. Balter hazy
4. Beerfarm Royal haze
5. Wildflower Table Beer

Indeed the McConahaze (however it's spelt) was pretty impressive, again time of year coz I had it in Sept/Oct. Tried to vote for Sauce's Oat and Aboat as it was the stand out of the oat cream IPA's tidal wave that came this year but wasn't listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very familiar feel to my Gabs votes. I didn't really try many of the one off specials this year and one I was most excited about, Bubbles, was a bit of a let down.

1. Nail VPA
2. Nail Red
3. Otherside Harvest Red Ale
4. Beerfarm Royal Haze
5. Gage Roads Little Dove

Finally made it down to Running with Thieves yesterday afternoon, good space and I generally like without loving their beers.

A very familiar feel to my Gabs votes. I didn't really try many of the one off specials this year and one I was most excited about, Bubbles, was a bit of a let down.

1. Nail VPA
2. Nail Red
3. Otherside Harvest Red Ale
4. Beerfarm Royal Haze
5. Gage Roads Little Dove

Finally made it down to Running with Thieves yesterday afternoon, good space and I generally like without loving their beers.
Can say that again. Rubbish beers in my experience so far

Photo doesn't do it justice but this hazy mango sour from Green Beacon is delicious. Not that todays the hottest but very good drop for a warm day.

Pretty sweet can too and very easy drinking for 6.2%

1611481881503.png

Photo doesn't do it justice but this hazy mango sour from Green Beacon is delicious. Not that todays the hottest but very good drop for a warm day.

Pretty sweet can too and very easy drinking for 6.2%

View attachment 1045356
It's a bit warm on the east coast so send some my way

I don’t drink too much beer these days and when I do it’s local WA ones. However, I gotta say that every beer I’ve tried from Hop Nationhas been a treat. I had their Jedi Jucie and double NEIPA late last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the weekend gave their IPA ago and it went down a treat (even tho it was 2.1 standard drinks).

I don’t drink too much beer these days and when I do it’s local WA ones. However, I gotta say that every beer I’ve tried from Hop Nationhas been a treat. I had their Jedi Jucie and double NEIPA late last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the weekend gave their IPA ago and it went down a treat (even tho it was 2.1 standard drinks).

Yeah they make consistently good beers. Don't think I've had one of theirs I haven't enjoyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back