Brexit - The UK referendum on leaving the EU - Reneging, reshmeging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Is it just me or food just got more expensive? i regularly buy certain stuff from ASDA and amazon online for a few years now, but it looks the price bump is quite noticeable on many things.
Haven't been to mainland UK since 2019 (NI since August last year), so I can't say. Hasn't really changed in Ireland.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Seems like the UK is learning the difference between tariff-free trade and frictionless trade inside a customs unions. Non-tariff barriers are an integral part of the EU customs union.

They thought the rules applied to member states was bad, they are nothing compared to outside countries.

When you are led by Brexiters who are led by a moron and a pathogical liar, you expect nothing better.

"There will be no non-tariff barriers to trade" — Boris Johnson.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Lets see whom the little Englanders are going to blame now for their own fu** ups. Any guesses? Scotland? N.I? Those filthy Polish in the UK? Or back to brown people are the real problem again? Anyone but themselves.
That lot up Bradford way, you know the Pakis and the darkies, the coolies and the camel jockeys.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Dual British and Australian national here.

Picked me a great time to get me a Swiss girlfriend.

With the 8,500 cap on 'foreign' workers in Switzerland (non EU or ETA members) there is no chance of me getting a work visa in Switzerland now. Applies to the British as of 1 Jan 2021.

Also, if I want to simply travel there now, I can only remain for 90 days (in any 180 day period), and cant work like I used to be able to.

We had have met 2 years ago and I could have simply flown to Switzerland and gotten a job, or she could have joined me in the UK and done the same. Zero red tape.

It's equally ****ed for her coming to Oz or the UK as well. Her being Swiss she cant work here in Oz like EU nationals can with the Work visa that backpackers use to do hospitality or farm work. The Swiss aren't eligible for that work visa in Oz for some stupid reason even though Germans, Austrians, Italians, French, Luxembourgers and all EU nationals are.

If she was German, Italian, French, Austrian or any EU country she would have been fine.

She's a teacher, and I'm a lawyer. We're both productive members of society, with decent jobs and would contribute to each others countries.

* this whole thing is insane.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Dual British and Australian national here.

Picked me a great time to get me a Swiss girlfriend.

With the 8,500 cap on 'foreign' workers in Switzerland (non EU or ETA members) there is no chance of me getting a work visa in Switzerland now. Applies to the British as of 1 Jan 2021.

Also, if I want to simply travel there now, I can only remain for 90 days (in any 180 day period), and cant work like I used to be able to.

We had have met 2 years ago and I could have simply flown to Switzerland and gotten a job, or she could have joined me in the UK and done the same. Zero red tape.

It's equally f’ed for her coming to Oz or the UK as well. Her being Swiss she cant work here in Oz like EU nationals can with the Work visa that backpackers use to do hospitality or farm work. The Swiss aren't eligible for that work visa in Oz for some stupid reason even though Germans, Austrians, Italians, French, Luxembourgers and all EU nationals are.

If she was German, Italian, French, Austrian or any EU country she would have been fine.

She's a teacher, and I'm a lawyer. We're both productive members of society, with decent jobs and would contribute to each others countries.

fu** this whole thing is insane.

Have you looked at cantonal quotas? i was faced with a similar problem in 2009 before getting married to my Swedish wife, but canton of Grabunden approved my permit when Zug, Zurich Schaffhausen said 'thanks for coming'. If your skills are good they will approve, you just need to find some of the less popular cantons.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Have you looked at cantonal quotas? i was faced with a similar problem in 2009 before getting married to my Swedish wife, but canton of Grabunden approved my permit when Zug, Zurich Schaffhausen said 'thanks for coming'. If your skills are good they will approve, you just need to find some of the less popular cantons.

Hah! That's her Canton! She lives in the village of Fajauna just outside of Schiers.

My other problem is, as an (Australian) Lawyer its not a skill that's in demand in Switzerland, particularly not in Grissons.

The chances of me getting a Swiss work permit look pretty much close to zero. Might have better luck as a self employed person but still, it's effectively zero.

Be interested in any advice you may have.

It's just so ****ed. But for Brexit I could have just flown over there and got a job.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Hah! That's her Canton!

She lives in the village of Fajauna just outside of Schiers.

My other problem is, as an (Australian) Lawyer its not a skill that's in demand in Switzerland, particularly not in Grissons.

The chances of me getting a Swiss work permit look pretty much close to zero.

Yes being a lawyer you are pretty much ****ed. I was in banking back then and all the people in Zug and Zurich told me to go to the Uk or go back to Australia. But i had to stay cause i didn't want to live in Australia anymore. My advice would be to look at a business plan,, convince the canton that you will employ a couple of Swiss people and will remain in Switzerland. It's easier for me now being married to an EU national but i did convince the canton in 2011(To grant me a B permit Auslanderausweis, instead oF L temp permit) and got myself a business visa. The terms were quite simple, employ 2 swiss people and pay your taxes (first year was free since i was setting the business up) or GTFO.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The terms were quite simple, employ 2 swiss people and pay your taxes (first year was free since i was setting the business up) or GTFO.

And that's not going to happen unless I use this year to try and set up some kind of e-commerce gig (dropshipping, blogging, vlogging etc).

Its something I'm considering anyway (digital nomad style), but the chances of me setting up something like that to the level required by the Swiss are minimal, and even then I would have to jump through red tape and still probably not be successful in being allowed to work there.

I really wanted to fly over there pre 1 Jan 2021, because the legacy arrangements allow for Brits working and resident in Switzerland on that date to remain under the old rules. COVID pretty much put and end to that idea though.

The whole thing is just so stupid and arbitrary. Four weeks ago I was fine to live and work there indefinitely, with zero red tape, or we both could have moved to the UK and done the same thing there. Now both those options are effectively impossible, and it's just as hard getting her over to Oz (and that's before you consider COVID restrictions).

Unlike EU nationals, the Swiss dont get any special rules to work in Oz, and working visas are incredibly hard to get here.

So angry.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
And that's not going to happen unless I use this year to try and set up some kind of e-commerce gig (dropshipping, blogging, vlogging etc).

Its something I'm considering anyway (digital nomad style), but the chances of me setting up something like that to the level required by the Swiss are minimal, and even then I would have to jump through red tape and still probably not be successful in being allowed to work there.

I really wanted to fly over there pre 1 Jan 2021, because the legacy arrangements allow for Brits working and resident in Switzerland on that date to remain under the old rules. COVID pretty much put and end to that idea though.

The whole thing is just so stupid and arbitrary. Four weeks ago I was fine to live and work there indefinitely, with zero red tape, or we both could have moved to the UK and done the same thing there. Now both those options are effectively impossible, and it's just as hard getting her over to Oz (and that's before you consider COVID restrictions).

Unlike EU nationals, the Swiss dont get any special rules to work in Oz, and working visas are incredibly hard to get here.

So angry.

medusala likes this.

On a serious note though, i have a business visa to the UK, that protects me from all the hassles we have to go through now (Swedish Australian dual). You can look at setting up anything from a restaurant to a consulting company to a law firm, anything....as long as the plan is viable and practical. I know so many people who are staying in Switzerland through a business visa and you are out of the quota. Of course net worth is important as they would want to check if you are a broke bastard or not. Look up into opening up an AG company (CHF - 100,000 required capital) that will elevate you into premium status straight away.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Malifice you always have Ireland... With a British passport you can work here and she can work here. Just saying.

PM me your address so I can send you a bottle of your favourite booze.

You just made my ******* day!

Seriously dude, that's the answer I've been looking for for like 6 months!

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
PM me your address so I can send you a bottle of your favourite booze.

You just made my ******* day!

Seriously dude, that's the answer I've been looking for for like 6 months!
I think people forget little old Ireland... You've got the Common Travel Area which allows UK citizens to live and work and vice versa for Irish citizens in the UK - so my fiancee would be able to go back there any time even post Brexit. Then the Swiss are part of the EU/EEA and that means they can come work here similarly. Not sure if there is any registration process... but yeah. I think they're always keen for teachers, as long as she doesn't need to teach Gailge. Lawyers, dunno... but I'm sure there have been Aussie lawyers who have moved over here and passed the bar etc.

I was lucky that my job (structural engineering) is on the Critical Skills list otherwise I would have had to do a green card job. We're getting married next year (hopefully) anyway but this has just meant we didn't need to do it ASAP and have me not working for 6-12 months.

My favourite booze is whatever 5000 euro scotch you can find ;)

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I think people forget little old Ireland... You've got the Common Travel Area which allows UK citizens to live and work and vice versa for Irish citizens in the UK - so my fiancee would be able to go back there any time even post Brexit. Then the Swiss are part of the EU/EEA and that means they can come work here similarly.

And the UK is committed to the Common Travel area (thank you Good Friday Agreement) and Switzerland and Ireland committed to the EEA.

We can both simply fly there and work there.

I think they're always keen for teachers, as long as she doesn't need to teach Gailge. Lawyers, dunno... but I'm sure there have been Aussie lawyers who have moved over here and passed the bar etc.

She's a primary school/ Kindergarten teacher, so au pair/ childcare is also an option. For me there are always paralegals, tenancy and homelessness advocates, citizens advice gigs and similar (lower paid, but they get a lawyer on the cheap, so easier to land).

That said, time to research how to get an Irish Practicing certificate and admission to practice in Ireland.

My favourite booze is whatever 5000 euro scotch you can find

Dont push it!

;)

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
And the UK is committed to the Common Travel area (thank you Good Friday Agreement) and Switzerland and Ireland committed to the EEA.

We can both simply fly there and work there.

She's a primary school/ Kindergarten teacher, so au pair/ childcare is also an option. For me there are always paralegals, tenancy and homelessness advocates, citizens advice gigs and similar (lower paid, but they get a lawyer on the cheap, so easier to land).

That said, time to research how to get an Irish Practicing certificate and admission to practice in Ireland.

Dont push it!

;)
I mean obviously with the pandemic it's difficult at the moment. Economy is still going but not at the rate it was before obviously and we're currently in Lockdown 3.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean obviously with the pandemic it's difficult at the moment. Economy is still going but not at the rate it was before obviously and we're currently in Lockdown 3.

Its not for another year; maybe two.

That said, I just found out (after conducting research), it seems as if only Australian Lawyers eligible to practice in NSW are eligible to convert to Irish lawyers without having to re-qualify. Screw you other States and Territories.

My heart sank.

After a bit more research, the good news though just keeps rolling on! WA is set to pass the Legal Profession Uniform Law (WA) Bill this year, which will allow WA Lawyers eligibility to practice law in the jurisdiction of other adoptees of the Uniform Law (currently NSW and Victoria).

Meaning once the WA Bill is passed (fingers crossed) I'll be eligible to practice in NSW (and Victoria) and thus will be eligible to apply for a 'Certificate of Eligibility' from the Law Society of Ireland, without needing another 5 years of Uni.

430 Euros for the application, and then I have to do a course on Irish Criminal Law, and Irish Constitutional Law and pass the 'QLTT' exam in Ireland, (after actually studying for it via the expensive as * courses the Law Society of Ireland offer).

Bit of a stuff around, but it could have been far worse. I can apply for the Eligibility certificate after WA assents to the Uniform Bill this year, piss off to Ireland when approved, and then get a part time caper as a paralegal or something while I study for the QLTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back