2021 Music

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
May as well kick off.

Can’t say say I know many artists who are releasing LP’s this year, but surely there will be plenty given the iso situation last year.

Any big or medium sized names with albums in the pipeline?

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Might have just squeezed into the end of last year but,
How good is the new Avalanches album??
Not expecting it to be on the same level as the first two, but there we go.
That Kurt Vile track, wow, which also has Wayne Coyne singing on it.
On the credits it's Robbie C., Toni D. and Andrew S. as well as all those guest singers,
really really good and big record.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
SILY is my least favourite of the Avalanches albums in all honesty. Wildflower and WWALY just work better for me as albums.

As for 2021, I'm pretty keen for a new Crowded House (The Dreamers are Waiting), but not expecting it to be amazing or anything, I'd take a 7/10.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
First full LP I've listened to this year

Never heard Sithu Aye before, though the name has been floating in my head some time. Similar vein as Scale The Summit or Cloudkicker - basically instrumental neo prog which is pretty atmospheric.

Not reinventing the wheel, but nice vibes.

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
New Julien Baker album out in Feb.

Here's the latest release - a different sound to the usual...........

Amazing video - 600 hrs work apparently.

Not that it is fully confirmed by any stretch yet by their management.......

But The Killers might be releasing their 7th studio album after last year's (Imploding the Mirage) which was probably their best since Hot Fuss/Sam's Town era so that might be a good listen for any alternative/indie/rock listeners out there. :)

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
London Grammar have a new album out next month, three songs from which have already been released. Lose Your Head is the standout from these so far IMO.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Slightly off topic, but I'm feeling pretty decent about always thinking Ariel Pink was a ******* whose music wasn't that good right now...
I really like some of Ariel Pink's music so am finding recent events a bit disconcerting. Likewise Carry Me Ohio by Sun Kil Moon is a song I love but then read various allegations against Mark Kozelek which throws things a bit. Finding it difficult to 'compartmentalise' to borrow a term from Steve Waugh.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Slightly off topic, but I'm feeling pretty decent about always thinking Ariel Pink was a ******* whose music wasn't that good right now...
Saw his show when he came out for Melb Music Week a couple of years ago and honestly it was a great show, but I always had a feeling he was super NQR so this news was hardly surprising. John Maus on the other hand...

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Same. Surprised he managed to get as far as he has without being cancelled for something or other. Never liked his vibe.

I have been a fan of Maus’ music, but he has always been a bit edgelordian, so not unexpected, unfazed there. Can imagine him being attracted to the anarchic nonestablishment gusto potential of the Trump situation, means to an end rationale. He has been a bit alt-rightish in the past.

compare that to someone like Jay Kay, which wouldn’t have made any sense whatsoever. You hear Pink & Maus are there and just nod.

Last edited:
Steven Wilson. Future Bites. Release 29 January 2021

Expecting some huge s**t fights with fans on yet another evolution in his musical direction

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

Expecting some huge sh*t fights with fans on yet another evolution in his musical direction
That would actually be a good thread topic - bands or artists who have upset (some) fans by changing musical directions

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Expecting some huge sh*t fights with fans on yet another evolution in his musical direction

Haven't listen to much Steven Wilson since the last few Porcupine Tree LP's and bits and pieces from some of his earlier LP's, but that's different. Not sure I dig the 80's synths, and general vibe of the thing, but good on him for moving past the slower piano-based balladry.

I still rate Fear of a Blank Planet highly.

Back