Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Who from our forward line would you see McKernan displacing for him to get more games than expected?

I only see him playing in we get injuries.

Membrey was playing further from goal last year so perhaps leave a Kent type out play King and Mac as tall targets with a rotating ruck as well with Membrey, Lonie, Higgins, Kent types taking the rest of the spots. Hawks in the Ratts/ Clarko era had Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunston in one forward line. he loves a get out of jail free kick to a tall target.

It's always been thinner I think.

e0568cc859daf9306c97116bd67b059d

IMG_5086.JPG

Maybe I’m thinking/preferring the older jumper

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll buck the trend.

I like it, the black makes it more distinctive. Something different

Our colours and tri-pane just make everyone look good. Crouch looks half as munted as he did at Adelaide in the red white and black. Even a s**t Saints jumper is flattering. You'd have to have a head like a dropped pie to look bad in our strip (thanks Chooma).

Our colours and tri-pane just make everyone look good. Crouch looks half as munted as he did at Adelaide in the red white and black. Even a sh*t Saints jumper is flattering. You'd have to have a head like a dropped pie to look bad in our strip (thanks Chooma).
Yep we really do have the best strip in the comp. Also have the best crest.

I got a feeling Carlisle/Frawley could be our new Hickey/Longer.

TBH I think I'll be happier debating Snake/Chips.

In what appears a reasonably settled side (injuries aside) it does look to be one of the more difficult to pick spots. For one reason or another Snake just wasn't seen as locked in best 22 before even Chips came into the equation.

FWIW I'm a massive Snake fan and think if he can string together 10-15 game at the right time of the year without injury that he's a massive piece of the puzzle for us.

Isn't it "Chip"? "Chips" was Sammy Fisher!

We tried to dump him in a trade and left him out of the side in 2020. The fans like him, it seems the coaches are a little less attached to him. Frawley is a very disciplined hard trainer from a professional club..... Jake is a loose unit. Being good and being a team player are two seperate things. I can see Chip putting in a big preseason a Jake having to work hard to pry his spot off him. Howard can play one key post and Frawley the other with Battle, Wilkie and Highmore all capable of taking the third tall back role. I can see Jake having back issues and not playing much in 2021 on top of that.

Agree with what you said in your other post about the fans liking Jake, but not so much the coaches. They've tried to offload him, or told him to check out his options the last two years, only signing him on at the last minute. That said, I think he is massive for us when playing, and gives us an edge. He can be a "wall" down back (to use Ross Lyon's analogy of him) when he's properly focussed, and we look fragile and timid when he isn't playing.
Someone said that he is moving very well at training and is vocal with the boys...I reckon he wants to make a point, I'm hoping so anyway...a committed snake in the backline will be bloody formidable.

Agree with what you said in your other post about the fans liking Jake, but not so much the coaches. They've tried to offload him, or told him to check out his options the last two years, only signing him on at the last minute. That said, I think he is massive for us when playing, and gives us an edge. He can be a "wall" down back (to use Ross Lyon's analogy of him) when he's properly focussed, and we look fragile and timid when he isn't playing.
Someone said that he is moving very well at training and is vocal with the boys...I reckon he wants to make a point, I'm hoping so anyway...a committed snake in the backline will be bloody formidable.
You're right- they haven't tried to offload him.

Just like they've told a few other players, he's been offered a contract but also been told if you can find a better deal then we won't stand in your way. And just like Lonie, if someone offered him a deal somewhere else, he would have been gone.

Now if we were really trying to offload him, he would have ended up like Acres and been thrown in as an empty chip bag in the deal for Hind.

Frawley is 33 (and not as good a player as Jake) - he is nothing more than very short term backup. That leaves the more interesting question - who is going to become our longer term CHB?

Frawley gives us a year back-up, Jake may only have a year or two left given his back problems, Robbo's gone, they don't seem to want to play Battle as a KPP, Darragh Joyce is unlikely so that leaves us with Clav as the only longer term option and he's been on the list for 3 years and yet to crack it for a game.

And given we passed on this bloke twice to pick a tall forward and a small(ish) defender its hard to know what they are thinking longer term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right- they haven't tried to offload him.

Just like they've told a few other players, he's been offered a contract but also been told if you can find a better deal then we won't stand in your way. And just like Lonie, if someone offered him a deal somewhere else, he would have been gone.

Now if we were really trying to offload him, he would have ended up like Acres and been thrown in as an empty chip bag in the deal for Hind.

Frawley is 33 (and not as good a player as Jake) - he is nothing more than very short term backup. That leaves the more interesting question - who is going to become our longer term CHB?

Frawley gives us a year back-up, Jake may only have a year or two left given his back problems, Robbo's gone, they don't seem to want to play Battle as a KPP, Darragh Joyce is unlikely so that leaves us with Clav as the only longer term option and he's been on the list for 3 years and yet to crack it for a game.

And given we passed on this bloke twice to pick a tall forward and a small(ish) defender its hard to know what they are thinking longer term.

Bing

That was me. Looked as good as I have seen him below his knees since his back problems and was very vocal after training drills, bringing in the group and speaking to them for a few minutes.

A small sample size, one training session in January where I am trying to look at all the players.

Stewart66 would be a better judge on Carlisle and his involvements at training.

That was me. Looked as good as I have seen him below his knees since his back problems and was very vocal after training drills, bringing in the group and speaking to them for a few minutes.

A small sample size, one training session in January where I am trying to look at all the players.

Joff ....yeah Jake is enigma

...they rave about him at the Calder Cannons with his coaching and verbal
instruction ....he plays the game so easy hence the silly mistakes enrage supporters .

Thought last year there was noticeable difference improvement in his body .

Last edited:
Saw a picture so he was definitely with the players and he's not the type to bullshit but we'll see in a few weeks

Steele and Doogs as co-captains is not exactly a choice you could argue with either. Could well be true.

I’m a big Jake fan.
Hope you’re right about his body because even though I feel he’s been pretty good in his time with us, often a stalwart in the backline, it would be great to see him injury-free and go to another level.
( Just keep the medical staff away from his lungs 😳)

I reckon Geary will have one more year as captain, would be all for Dougal in there very soon though.

Doubt it personally.
Roo stood down the year before he retired and I reckon Gears will too. Gives him a year in the background helping out the new captain/s.
Of course it also solves the problem of his having to be an automatic in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back