Opinion Who is your club's best defender of the 21st century?

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
There's an interesting article on the AFL's website asking for each club's best defender this century.

Not many surprises however Clement at the Pies, no Hodge as he wasn't classed as a defender and Archer for the Roos who I thought was more dominant in the 90's were three that came to my mind.

I can see the reasoning for Clement but there were a number of unlucky candidates as well.

Enright unlucky as he would've been the #1 defender in half of the other clubs if he played for them.

As for WCE, Glass unlucky but Gov with 4 > 2 AA's worthy winner for sure.

Who is your club's best defender of the 21st century?

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sam Fisher but from a purely defensive point of view Max Hudghton who was criminally underrated and an exceptional one on one player

Teimy

Draftee
Jan 14, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sam Fisher for me easily. He pretty much was as good as McGovern at intercepting the ball in the 2008 season. Fingers crossed I think Coffield is really going to dominate that HBF/HB role. Super good user of the ball at such a young age. Good height to play on Talls and mid-sized forwards. Mature bodied. He is someone id put my house on earning an All-Australian one day.

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd have to disagree with the article as I have Lake just ahead of Morris and far ahead of Murph as a defender.

BnF winner and multiple AAs in a time with many other great fullbacks. I think the media somewhat forget how great he was for us, he was very important for Hawthorn and obviously had more success there but his best individual output was with us.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
It's tough as defenders play different roles.

Glass is the best 1v1 lockdown defensive player I've seen at the Eagles in my lifetime. However Gov has 4AAs as a loose man/intercept/zone off defender. Toss a coin

James Frawley was an AA full back so, at his peak, he'd be our best.

For consistency over a long period, probably Neville Jetta. He's been one of the premiere lockdown small defenders in the league for the past few years, with only last year showing his age.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brian Lake followed by Dale Morris.

Wish Hamling stayed with us he could probably have been up there.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clement for us, he was vastly underrated by most opposition fans IMO, then he retires and becomes a cop, crooks can't get nothing past him :)

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Chad Cornes or Darryl Wakelin will probably be the popular choice but I'm gonna go a little left-field and say Michael Wilson

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clement for us, he was vastly underrated by most opposition fans IMO, then he retires and becomes a cop, crooks can't get nothing past him :)
This may not be a popular view, but I don't reckon Presti was far behind him.

You listen to the full forwards of that era, and many rate Presti as their most difficult opponent.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Alex Rance for us

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Says a lot for Carlton's century to date when Kade Simpson is rated their #1.

Understand you've got to acknowledge longevity; and yes he was heart and soul of Carlton. But as a true defender?!?

Back