Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh I think it's more to do with their own team being rubbish and declining moreso than Carlton showing signs of improvement.

Taking one of their best players doesn't help either.

I dont think they will necessarily be rubbish they have strong between the arcs running capability - but yeah - they will miss Saad I suspect - as GWS will miss Williams.

The Lions are clearly in front of the Blues by a mile ahead IMO with the way their list is assembled and the way they are perform tactically.

However..................

I still can't wait to look forward in watching those Bluebaggers smash those Tigers in round 1 this year cause they have such a promising list full of future superstars such as Walsh, Dow, Weitering, De Koning and the Curnow bros to help the more experienced blokes like Murphy, Betts, Docherty & Walsh perform at a high level.

No pressure, but I think your squad can make the Finals this year if you can all stay healthy and injury-free and you will have such a great 5-10 year future to contest for the finals and that elusive premiership we all dream off ;)

Brisbane can score quickly and more easily in games against most sides, Carlton struggles to score quickly and never scores easily against anyone - it is always a grind. This underlines the difference in class between the two sides for period ending '20.

What would be giving Essendone supporters ( as evidenced in this thread a few pages back ) the itchy and scratchies is Carlton's game against Geelong down at their ridiculous home ground, that game was the first real indicator of how well Carlton can play at their best. I dont think Saad/Williams additions make Carlton a weaker side in '21.

I think Brisbane are 1-2 years ahead of Carlton - as they should be.

Why?

I dont think they will necessarily be rubbish they have strong between the arcs running capability - but yeah - they will miss Saad I suspect - as GWS will miss Williams.

Essendon will finish bottom six.

Mainly because Brisbane's older players are better than Carlton's.
Not for long. Late last year Carlton matched it with them despite losing doc and Cripps and without Curnow, Williams and Saad in Brisbane. The lions were about to be playing finals but fell over the line. In 2021 I suspect Carlton will beat them in Melbourne.

Fell over the line? They kicked 11.12 to 10.1 - 23 scoring shots to 11...they comfortably had the Blues at arm's length all night.

They may well beat the Lions this year, and I expect them to keep improving, but please don't rewrite history.
Not for long. Late last year Carlton matched it with them despite losing doc and Cripps and without Curnow, Williams and Saad in Brisbane. The lions were about to be playing finals but fell over the line. In 2021 I suspect Carlton will beat them in Melbourne.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fell over the line? They kicked 11.12 to 10.1 - 23 scoring shots to 11...they comfortably had the Blues at arm's length all night.

They may well beat the Lions this year, and I expect them to keep improving, but please don't rewrite history.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Feel free to ignore the Cripps docherty part. Hubbing all season v Brisbane staying in their own beds. Brisbane wouldn’t beat anyone if Neale got injured.

Brisbane wouldn’t beat anyone if Neale got injured.

OMG your so right :rolleyes:

There's more chance Carlton not beating anyone if Cripps was down then if Neale went down for the Lions.

Yes I agree that we have had a superior injury run these past couple of years then your club has.

Yes we had the whole season in QLD last year helping us with our performance and all that.

But seriously man, that's the dumbest comment I've heard on this forum.

Even if Neale did get injured, I wouldn't be so worried about our midfield given the depth we have created now.

Your team however, that's a different story :think:

On one hand I feel like this thread can be locked. At the time it was created the general consensus (including myself) thought Carlton were in front by a year or so. But for what ever reason we have made better decisions on and off field to turn that around in the last 4 years. Therefore concluding we have had a better past 3 years. /thread.

On the other hand Carlton have looked to have improved their list and football club as a whole so this may still continue to be relevant IF they can improve like their supporters (and myself) think. So this may still be a relevant topic.

If Brisbane play finals again and Carlton continue to dwell in the cellar in 2021 I feel like they can no longer be compared to where they were 5 years ago.

OMG your so right :rolleyes:

There's more chance Carlton not beating anyone if Cripps was down then if Neale went down for the Lions.

Yes I agree that we have had a superior injury run these past couple of years then your club has.

Yes we had the whole season in QLD last year helping us with our performance and all that.

But seriously man, that's the dumbest comment I've heard on this forum.

Even if Neale did get injured, I wouldn't be so worried about our midfield given the depth we have created now.

Your team however, that's a different story :think:
Disagree Carlton have already proven they can win without Cripps. Brisbane however. Nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On one hand I feel like this thread can be locked. At the time it was created the general consensus (including myself) thought Carlton were in front by a year or so. But for what ever reason we have made better decisions on and off field to turn that around in the last 4 years. Therefore concluding we have had a better past 3 years. /thread.

On the other hand Carlton have looked to have improved their list and football club as a whole so this may still continue to be relevant IF they can improve like their supporters (and myself) think. So this may still be a relevant topic.

If Brisbane play finals again and Carlton continue to dwell in the cellar in 2021 I feel like they can no longer be compared to where they were 5 years ago.

So leave it open this year and we shall see I suppose?

So leave it open this year and we shall see I suppose?

I mean the law of large numbers means there will eventually be a time when Carlton is better than Brisbane again but I think the “I told you so” statute of limitations on this particular thread has long since expired.

I mean the law of large numbers means there will eventually be a time when Carlton is better than Brisbane again but I think the “I told you so” statute of limitations on this particular thread has long since expired.

Quite possibly, although in fairness I thought Brissies rebuild started 18 months prior to CFC finally realising they need to embrace the draft properly.

Yeh I’m skeptical on the timelines as well.

Brisbane were rubbish for years and started accumulating picks from around 2011, when they brought in Longer, Docherty and Yeo. They were just unlucky they departed a couple of years after that. In 2012 Mayes was an early pick, in 2013 they brought in Aish, Gardiner and Taylor. During 2011-2013 Carlton played in finals twice.

It’s not as though Brisbane ever announced or intended on a full rebuild like Carlton did, they just grappled it with over the course of a few years and started really rolling once they’d brought Neale across. Their key positions have been filled for a decent amount of time though - Gardiner (2013), Andrews (2014), McStay (2013) and Hipwood (2015), and it’s just been a matter of development.

Their drafting from 2015-2017 has been outstanding beyond that.

Disagree Carlton have already proven they can win without Cripps. Brisbane however. Nah.
They won 5 games in 2018 without Neale lol, since then their list has gotten better across all areas of the ground and they have 2 other players that made the AA squad this year.

Without Neale they should still be a top 8 team minimum.

Last edited:
Wow. I forgot there was time, just a few years ago, when Brisbane and Carlton could be compared.

Brisbane in the flag hunt while Carlton just dreams of cobbling together a team that can make the 8. Shows how far smart recruiting and a good club culture can get you in just a short amount of time.

This from an Essendon fan?

Hey owen78 Carlton supporters talking up there chances against a side who has finished top 4 two years running and added more firepower to there list.

Grab the popcorn on your way in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calling for backup already! Brisbane's rebuild has been incredible and good luck to them. Carlton's should be judged in the next 2 seasons.

Back