Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
trigger was met but still no extension announced formally?
is it just 1 year or multiple?
Let him see it out 2021 and see if we compete in finals. I rate Schofield over feel good Ken. Ken is good with player relationship but average game day coach. He has a lot of talent at his disposal. The recruiting team have been fantastic. So feel we can go next level with someone who has a more strategic coaching eye....

Maybe. But kens coaching ability aside I saw most questioning why they have given him a long term deal now before a ball had been even bounced for the year
Very good coach.
Would be in high demand if Port did the ridiculous and dishonoured him.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Very good coach.
Would be in high demand if Port did the ridiculous and dishonoured him.
By who? and when? Which club is going to toss their head coach for Ken?

He might land an assistant gig, like Pyke and Shaw, but I don't see an obvious club that would replace their head coach with Ken, at least not this year.

By who? and when? Which club is going to toss their head coach for Ken?

He might land an assistant gig, like Pyke and Shaw, but I don't see an obvious club that would replace their head coach with Ken, at least not this year.
When CS's tenure is up, who knows, Geelong may be keen again. But this year is not the issue. The argument was about him getting an extension, wasn't it?

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Does making finals twice with one finals win in 6 years demand re-signing for an extra 2 years?

Keep in mind his current deal doesn’t end until the end of 2021.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I should have put rolling eyes with my post

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I'd say Hinkley totally outcoached his opponent last night. Geelong and all their huge names were totally bamboozled, and anyone not questioning the free kicks , well if ever a game in this day and age "thats our game" can turn things upside down these petty tiggytouchwood free kicks are certain proof that it is a foul rule , Port got through it but I think the first free kick was to Dangermouse and fair dinkum I've never seen a club like Geelong (bar the Eagles maybe) get looked after by umpires!
I don't mean deliberately but they just seem to call every little doubt against the opposing team.

One terrible example was the sling tackle against Port when the umpire just guessed that the tackle was too hard but it was not hard at all and did not warrant a free kick,
THIS IS WHAT THE AFL HAS CREATED IN THE MINDSETS OF UMPIRES TO A POINT WHERE THEY ARE PAYING FREE KICKS LIKE BASKETBALL FOULS THAT IS NOT AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL. NOW THE UMPS DIDN'T MAKE IT THAT FREE KICKS WERE DECISIVE, pORT WERE TOO GOOD.
What it points to, is how the AFL via Hocking have created a castrated version of a contact sport to the point that it is uncontested sometimes and not always because a player guards space but because they are not sure of giving away a free kick, if this doesn't change the game will not be worth watching.
Thats a terrible thing to think where this game ( the best foot on field sport in the world) might be going , even with all the good stuff that goes with it, the unfairness that is displayed by dodgy decisions and absolute over kill of adjudication, turns viewing into an aggressive annoyance, just one last whinge, when is a push in the back that is a push in the back NOT a push in the back????

Well played Port, you really showed up for finals, and Charlie D doesn't need a bag of goals to be effective , he was in everything!

*bump*

I’m not being a sore winner but that wasn’t Ken’s finest hour:

- instructing his mids to stand off & tackle after the Dogs mids won first use. That has worked in regular season but with Stef Martin and a switched on midfield we ran right through them. Terrible tactic.

- the use of Schache and English to tag Allir , no response from Ken. Allir started to lose his composure early on and then Schache turned from defender into attacker.

- benching Drew for the first five minutes when he’d been so effective against Libba in the past. Asked about this post game Ken said ‘we always bench Drew for the first five minutes. Hmm. Then Drew engaged in snarling at Libba and pushing him off the ball. Drew is a fine midfielder in his own right and he wasted his energy being nasty to Libba

- Players simply not up for the fight. They were clearly rattled after 10 mins and the heads went down.

Morris Major

Premium Gold
Apr 28, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let him see it out 2021 and see if we compete in finals. I rate Schofield over feel good Ken. Ken is good with player relationship but average game day coach. He has a lot of talent at his disposal. The recruiting team have been fantastic. So feel we can go next level with someone who has a more strategic coaching eye....

Prophetic

The buck stops with Ken, but I’m not sure how much you can blame last night on him, from the outside looking in. The Port players looked soft, lazy and beaten.

Some of their younger players were timid and panicked.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
*bump*

I’m not being a sore winner but that wasn’t Ken’s finest hour:

- instructing his mids to stand off & tackle after the Dogs mids won first use. That has worked in regular season but with Stef Martin and a switched on midfield we ran right through them. Terrible tactic.

- the use of Schache and English to tag Allir , no response from Ken. Allir started to lose his composure early on and then Schache turned from defender into attacker.

- benching Drew for the first five minutes when he’d been so effective against Libba in the past. Asked about this post game Ken said ‘we always bench Drew for the first five minutes. Hmm. Then Drew engaged in snarling at Libba and pushing him off the ball. Drew is a fine midfielder in his own right and he wasted his energy being nasty to Libba

- Players simply not up for the fight. They were clearly rattled after 10 mins and the heads went down.

I don’t get Carlton being able to move a coach with a couple of years yet Ken hands in till the end of time…. Surely the AFL has some say?

He’s the one constant and needs to go otherwise it’s shuffling deck chairs - as usual.

Congrats on a solid win.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The buck stops with Ken, but I’m not sure how much you can blame last night on him, from the outside looking in. The Port players looked soft, lazy and beaten.

Some of their younger players were timid and panicked.
Surely that softness comes to coach?
All the players can't be soft .
You have to wonder about mindset and game plan and lack of preparation for what was coming?

Back