Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure he was on track this week but may be wrong
He was there last week and on Monday. He looks very inobtrusive, very 'vanilla' in a way, just goes about his business. I expect we will be noticing him more once there is more match sim stuff happening and this vanilla bloke keeps on getting the pill.

He was there last week and on Monday. He looks very inobtrusive, very 'vanilla' in a way, just goes about his business. I expect we will be noticing him more once there is more match sim stuff happening and this vanilla bloke keeps on getting the pill.

That's how I also see him. He's an unobtrusive link man who just gets to the right positions, then utilises disposal very well. A bit like NDS.

Yeah I'm basing my view on watching them do some ball movement drills and hearing POWELLY POWELLY a great deal when some unobtrusive vanilla looking kid had the ball.

That's how I also see him. He's an unobtrusive link man who just gets to the right positions, then utilises disposal very well. A bit like NDS.

He's going to be that rarest of beasts - a Supercoach favourite that's also a vital player

Yeah, perhaps a bit more inside capable than NDS. Maybe a Luke Parker/NDS mix.

Big Call, NDS was a decent player in some strong sides.

3 x AA & runner up in a Brownlow.

More attributes than ceiling.

Who knows how good he will end up being? Attributes wise he looks to me to be a combination of NDS and Parker styles.

I'm not seeing Luke Parker levels of inside ball winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has this bloke been sighted at the club since being drafted or is he MIA?

I haven't seen anything about him through any of the social media posts or on here.

Or did he come in with an injury and not on the track?

Judging by the training notes he is there but was left out of key media pieces from the club recently. Not in the intro’s video of the new guys snd not in an article about the same. Very odd - I was wondering the same myself!

Sam Walsh?

So this bloke is a walking 30 possies, inside clearance grunt/outside link up man with tidy skills and an automatic footy brain. What's the knock/s? Athletic profile? Soft? His possession aren't damaging? Seems to me this is the type of player we've been missing for years. Who was our last guy that you could pencil in for 30 touches week in week out, maybe Simmo?

So this bloke is a walking 30 possies, inside clearance grunt/outside link up man with tidy skills and an automatic footy brain. What's the knock/s? Athletic profile? Soft? His possession aren't damaging? Seems to me this is the type of player we've been missing for years. Who was our last guy that you could pencil in for 30 touches week in week out, maybe Simmo?
According to an early GR post (one which has graphs) while he can accumulate his execution isn't that flash.

Dane Swan

He was taken in the first round so not really a slider. His stats are great but never cracked the SANFL side. He's a bit skinny. He has a good, not great athletic profile. His kicking also seems to be in the average or above average category.

Most of the guys taken before him impressed in better leagues, were more athletic or were highly rated KPP. Tom is a little unsexy in comparison but, as stated earlier, he went pretty close to the top of his range and was surely rated highly by many clubs. I'd say if Adelaide didn't reach for Pedlar we wouldn't have Powell.

He was taken in the first round so not really a slider. His stats are great but never cracked the SANFL side. He's a bit skinny. He has a good, not great athletic profile. His kicking also seems to be in the average or above average category.

Most of the guys taken before him impressed in better leagues, were more athletic or were highly rated KPP. Tom is a little unsexy in comparison but, as stated earlier, he went pretty close to the top of his range and was surely rated highly by many clubs. I'd say if Adelaide didn't reach for Pedlar we wouldn't have Powell.

Sounds like McRae from dogs - not overly athletic but reads it so well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back