Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how to fit Schache into the starting 22 without injuries and form slumps. This is harder than last year - Naughton is fit; Martin coming means English will play third tall role; and we can expect that JUH will play some games.

But these will happen (injuries and form slumps) so expect he will get games.

- Bruce will need to pick up his form.

- We are thin down and expect Bruce or Naughton to play some time there

- He played the roaming tall very well in his best game of the year with Bruce - he plays a traditional style that makes our Mids lower their eyes rather than bomb it in and when they deliver so does he - a beautiful kick

- Martin will probably miss some games and he is likely to fight it out with Sweet to
come in when he does

- He is bigger again and hopefully harder - if he gets a bit of arrogance about him to initiate contact (still rarely makes first move) he only needs a bit more either aggression to be very handy

- His tank will also be developed and the longer quarters and lower interchange is effectively a two-goal change that will substantially advantage better endurance teams - not sure where we are comparably

- Bevo did not try and move him and expect has a plan to try

- JUH should not play every game - let’s not wreck him and so we should rotate him with Schache to keep the structure of a third tall

- Bruce, Naughton, JUH/Schache and English looks way too tall and slow but Naughton’s best game has him up the ground, JUH is lightening quick and Schache can run all day - so some possibilities with two up the ground and two staying in the 50

- One big under-utilised strength is his 50-60 kicking range. Buddy shows how much you can spread defences if you can kick accurately from outside 50 - when he leads out others must follow or he gets an easy shot - if they follow it disrupts the zone. I like suckling doing this but Schache can add something

There is a case for him - but all fit he is unlikely to play unless he brings a new weapon to the fight.

Best 22 Forwards already pretty full:

English/Dale - Bruce/Schache - Wallis/Weightman

VDM/Richards - Naughton/Bonti - JUH/Hannan

Very, VERY left field here, but is there any chance that Schache could make a good CHB, a la converted Darcy Moore / Liam Jones?

Quick enough, aerially OK, solid field kick. I guess level of aggression and sheer upper body strength are the two question marks?

Very, VERY left field here, but is there any chance that Schache could make a good CHB, a la converted Darcy Moore / Liam Jones?

Quick enough, aerially OK, solid field kick. I guess level of aggression and sheer upper body strength are the two question marks?
Would have to be an interceptor if anything. Honestly I think I'd rather just play Gardner if given a choice between the two. He makes errors but you can't fault his intent, and he's improving at a much quicker rate than Schache has. I kind of doubt either of them plays round 1 anyway - Keath and Cordy may be our only two KPDs

This has been raised here before. I personally love the idea but others generally didn't support it.
Apparently his ticket has been punched and that's all there is to it. We will just continue to do what we have done with him in the past and somehow expect a different result.

Did DDarcy start as a forward ?
only ever remember him as a full back.
1963, Darce Snr's first season, an in and out CHF/flanker. Back then, the 8 clubs which missed the Four played off in a Night Series at South Melbourne. In one of the games, Footscray named Ted Whitten at Full Back, Darce Snr at CHF. When they ran out, Darce Snr went to full back, starred, Ted lined up at CHF, F'scray won the game and the Flag.

Last edited:
1963, Darce Snr's first season, an in and out CHF/flanker. Back then, the 8 clubs which missed the Four played off in a Night Series at South Melbourne. In one of the games, Footscray named Ted Whitten at Full Back, Darce Snr at CHF. When they ran out, Darce Snr went to full back, starred, Ted lined up at CHF, F'scray won the game and the Flag.
Hah the night series were good value weren't they? Bit of joy to do well in them as we missed the finals every year

Personally I think he’s slow and poor aerially. He is just elite at timing his leads to make up for it, which doesn’t translate to defence.

I would reckon it’s worth a try

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ah ah , 1963 a little too early for me to stray that far from home after dark !
Talking of forwards going back , I seem to remember Merrington kicking 6 in one of those night games, may have even been a final ?

I think if Schache was to work in defence, it would be less as a Darcy Moore, Liam Jones style kpd, but more as a Jack Lukocius style oversized mobile back flanker who gets used as an interceptor and distributor who covers a heap of ground. Mark Blicavs plays a similar role at times.

They don't push back too deep as a rule and largely look to intercept or provide an outlet rather than contest.

Lukocius is very productive and Schache has a pretty similar skillset, if anything he's a better gut runner who could push forward and provide an extra uncontested marking option when the opportunity arises. I think this role may be his best shot on our list

Lol Schache in defence 🤦🏼‍♂️

Caleb Daniel would be better in the ruck.

in defence you need to run at the ball and contests. Some of you must have missed the fact that is Josh’s biggest issue. He would be at best really ordinary and more likely embarrassing in the backline

I'm old enough to remember when people said trialing Liam Jones in defence was a ludacris idea

I'm old enough to remember when people said trialing Liam Jones in defence was a ludacris idea

Both Jones and Roughhead never worked out for us in defence when tested. Took another club to do it right.

Both Jones and Roughhead never worked out for us in defence when tested. Took another club to do it right.

Our defensive structures were an absolute embarrassment under McCartney. He was one of very few coaches who continued with the outdated “man on man” defence. Roughead isn’t quick enough to close down space on the lead which resulted in his opponent getting it lace out on the lead.

Liam jones was never trialled in defence for us

Liam jones was never trialled in defence for us

He failed in defence in a game v Adelaide..... Badly....

Whether he ever got any training in defence is another question.....

Roughead goes ok with Collingwood when they can chip it around the back and not be under pressure, there were plenty of times last season he was caught out one on one when the team was struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back