Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure why we would keep him on our list (albeit rookie) if the club concurred with this sentiment.
There's only so much goodwill to go around after 2020 financially decimated all clubs.

He can be moved to the inactive list at any stage and we can pick up an SSP or mid year draft pick.

(oh and we wanted him on the cat b rookie list and sought an exemption for that but the afl said no / ****ed us over / took till after the draft to decide anything so he was given the last rookie spot)

START of season:

FB: Shep Barrass Hurn
HB: Nelson McGovern Cole

C: Gaff Shuey Duggan
R: NicNat Yeo Kelly

HF: Langdon Darling Ryan
FF: Cripps JK Allen

I: Williams Rotham Sheed Waterman

By the END of season (personnel changes bolded):

FB: Shep Barrass Rotham

HF: Langdon Darling Waterman
FF: Cameron Allen Ryan

I: Williams Witherden Sheed Jones

My BIG call is moving Cripps on for Jones by season's end (replace Jones with Willie if the ASADA sentence is light enough).
I think Jones showed plenty, and Cripps really seems to have a lot of off games imo.
Langdon apparently will be a good defensive small forward with Cameron's tackles also being absolutely sublime from what I've seen - So I think Cripps' days may be numbered. More than happy for him to prove me wrong and get back to best (recognise he may have been playing injured in many games).
Either way, with no injuries and a good pre-season, I reckon our small forward stocks are starting to look good again.

Possibly a call will be made on Hurn even at the beginning at the season and Rotham/Brander (personally I like Rotham) will step in with Hurn being kept around as pretty good depth for the remainder of the season.

Rotham, like Shep, seems to be able to play tall or small, which is a big asset. Brander also seeming to be speedy for his size.
So add that to the burst speed of Cole and Nelson and I reckon we've got some good versatility and run and carry out of our backline.

I wanted to out Brander in instead of Witherden in the END of season team, but from what others have been saying Witherden is likely to be needed due to his ability to distribute well by foot in the absence of Hurn and Jetta.

START of season:

FB: Shep Barrass Hurn

HF: Langdon Darling Ryan
FF: Cripps JK Allen

I: Williams Rotham Sheed Waterman

By the END of season (personnel changes bolded):

FB: Shep Barrass Rotham

HF: Langdon Darling Waterman
FF: Cameron Allen Ryan

I: Williams Witherden Sheed Jones

My BIG call is moving Cripps on for Jones by season's end (replace Jones with Willie if the ASADA sentence is light enough).
I think Jones showed plenty, and Cripps really seems to have a lot of off games imo.
Langdon apparently will be a good defensive small forward with Cameron's tackles also being absolutely sublime from what I've seen - So I think Cripps' days may be numbered. More than happy for him to prove me wrong and get back to best (recognise he may have been playing injured in many games).
Either way, with no injuries and a good pre-season, I reckon our small forward stocks are starting to look good again.

Possibly a call will be made on Hurn even at the beginning at the season and Rotham/Brander (personally I like Rotham) will step in with Hurn being kept around as pretty good depth for the remainder of the season.

Rotham, like Shep, seems to be able to play tall or small, which is a big asset. Brander also seeming to be speedy for his size.
So add that to the burst speed of Cole and Nelson and I reckon we've got some good versatility and run and carry out of our backline.

I wanted to out Brander in instead of Witherden in the END of season team, but from what others have been saying Witherden is likely to be needed due to his ability to distribute well by foot in the absence of Hurn and Jetta.
As Witherden's player sponsor for 2021, how much abuse is acceptable?

I've liked the small snippets I've seen from Jones. I hope he's pushing for that first-22 spot as you've predicted.

Best 22 when fully fit

FB: Shep Barrass Hurn / Cole
HB: Nelson McGovern Rotham

C: Gaff Duggan Sheed

HF: Cripps Darling Shuey
FF: Allen JK Ryan

I: Williams Waterman Redden Cameron

Depth: Cole, Witherden, Jones, Petrucelle, Langdon, Brander.......then.......O'Neil, Hutchings, Ainsworth, Ah chee, Vardy.

No more defensive winger. Everyone defends, everyone attacks.

Last edited:
Best 22 when fully fit

FB: Shep Barrass Hurn / Cole
HB: Nelson McGovern Rotham

C: Gaff Duggan Sheed

HF: Cripps Darling Shuey
FF: Allen JK Ryan

I: Williams Waterman Redden Cameron

No more defensive winger. Everyone defends, everyone attacks.
No room for Witherden or Langdon? I think Witherden at least would be in for one of Cole or Nelson- his skills set him apart from these 2 who are quite similar types and I think we traded him for that specific purpose of having an elite kick out of the backline.
I suspect Langdon may start ahead of Cameron or Shuey stays in the mids at the expense of Redden with Langdon into that forward line/bench spot.
Its nice to have some options that dont include Ahchee or Ainsworth, lets hope for a fit list to choose from this year.

No room for Witherden or Langdon? I think Witherden at least would be in for one of Cole or Nelson- his skills set him apart from these 2 who are quite similar types and I think we traded him for that specific purpose of having an elite kick out of the backline.
I suspect Langdon may start ahead of Cameron or Shuey stays in the mids at the expense of Redden with Langdon into that forward line/bench spot.
Its nice to have some options that dont include Ahchee or Ainsworth, lets hope for a fit list to choose from this year.

Both need to earn best 22 spots.

Either could push Redden off the bench but you need a mid on the bench. Maybe with Shuey and Kelly rotating forward another small forward / mid or a def/mid in Witherden can take a bench place instead of of Redden.

Both need to earn best 22 spots.

Either could push Redden off the bench but you need a mid on the bench. Maybe with Shuey and Kelly rotating forward another small forward / mid or a def/mid in Witherden can take a bench place instead of of Redden.
I think they will. Just because a bloke played last season and someone else comes in that hasn't been in the team, doesn't necessarily mean the incumbent gets 1st crack. They may earn it on the training track, pre-season games and of course depending on player availability and team balance. I think the team balance aspect will help get Witho over the line at the expense of Slippy or Coleman but I guess we have a couple of months to wait and find out.

I think they will. Just because a bloke played last season and someone else comes in that hasn't been in the team, doesn't necessarily mean the incumbent gets 1st crack. They may earn it on the training track, pre-season games and of course depending on player availability and team balance. I think the team balance aspect will help get Witho over the line at the expense of Slippy or Coleman but I guess we have a couple of months to wait and find out.

I reckon Witho is a lock for R1, Langdon will come down to how we structure up in the fwd line and who is available.

I reckon Witho is a lock for R1, Langdon will come down to how we structure up in the fwd line and who is available.

Given that any team rarely have no injuries or players in rehab we will likely be 2 or 3 of our best 22 not available.

Which means players outside that best 22 such as Witho, Langdon and Brander will be well in the mix for round 1.

That swings both ways.....the new guy doesnt get gifted games either for just turning up.

Ive got a feeling Witherden will be okish in 2021 but needs to step up his fitness and get used to his new team and game style/plan, 2022 he will be better.

Anyone else feel he needs to shred some puppy fat..........like Ainsworth for example.;):$:$

Not sure about best 22 but I think this is how we will line up rd 1

Sheppard - Barrass - Cole
Hurn - Gov - Witherden
Brander - Duggan - Gaff
Jones - Darling - Ryan
Cripps - Kennedy - Allen
Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly

Redden - Sheed - Nelson - Williams/Vardy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about best 22 but I think this is how we will line up rd 1

Sheppard - Barrass - Cole
Hurn - Gov - Witherden
Brander - Duggan - Gaff
Jones - Darling - Ryan
Cripps - Kennedy - Allen
Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly

Redden - Sheed - Nelson - Williams/Vardy

That looks about right based off injuries and who v has been talked up over the preseason. Wouldnt be surprised if Langdon gets in rd 1 as well. Also Rotham has gotta be close

Rotham should play every game this year. The older players should be phasing out.

Which older players?

The only defender on the cusp of retirement is Hurn and it would require a form slump before his spot in the 22 is questioned

McGovern, Barrass and Sheppard are locks

That leaves Rotham battling Nelson, Cole, Witherden and Edwards for 3 spots. And that assumes Duggan plays as a full time mid

I like Rotham but he isn’t an automatic selection yet

Which older players?

The only defender on the cusp of retirement is Hurn and it would require a form slump before his spot in the 22 is questioned

McGovern, Barrass and Sheppard are locks

That leaves Rotham battling Nelson, Cole, Witherden and Edwards for 3 spots. And that assumes Duggan plays as a full time mid

I like Rotham but he isn’t an automatic selection yet
I like both Cole and Nelson but I think both Rotham and Witherden have a higher ceiling. TBH theres a gap between Cole and Nelson too

Nothing against Nelly, but if the club is serious about Rotham developing as someone who can play on both talls and smalls he should be getting games instead.

Given the volume of players going to miss Saturdays game, we aren't going to get any true indication of the round 1 team yet.

Still Keen to see Withers, Langdon, O'Neil, Jamaine, Rotham, Brander, Trew, Winder and Edwards show something this weekend though.

3 weeks until the season starts.

Which older players?

Like the form slump he had in the second half of the season in both 2019 and 2020?

I agree that if JK and Hurn are in form and best 22 they should be playing.
But if they do start showing signs then Rotham/Allen should come straight in.
I'm not saying get rid of them, they are great depth.
But if they are slowing down and younger players are performing on par then we should favour the up and coming player who needs the experience.

Like the form slump he had in the second half of the season in both 2019 and 2020?

But if they are slowing down and younger players are performing on par then we should favour the up and coming player who needs the experience.

I thought Hurn started 2020 s**t and finished strong

Allen should be the best 22 at all times. he is too good to be left in the WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back